Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Stoney Waters Experience

stoney waters

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely pix stoney (sorry don't know your real name :mellow: )

What is your lighting schedule? sorry if ya already posted it, I looked but could not find it :P

thanks!

stoney waters
Lovely pix stoney (sorry don't know your real name :mellow: )

What is your lighting schedule? sorry if ya already posted it, I looked but could not find it :P

thanks!

Stoney is my name although not legal. It's funny how nicknames can stick for a lifetime. Stoney Waters was the name of a boat I once owned and became my aka in the local amature fishing circuit. It seemed to fit nicely on this forum.

My lighting schedule

1hr actinic dawn

2hr left halide

6hr left and right halide

2hr right halide

1hr actinic dusk

Blue LEDs run 24/7

Refugium light is on reverse schedule

Thanks

-Stone ;)

stoney waters
Nice pics stoney!!! That monti's sweet!

Yeah, it was pretty shabby when I picked it up, amost a freebie. It has morphed into something realy nice.

GREAT SETUP! I really enjoyed reading your experience. Love the rockscape. A-Mazing

Thanks, your tank is not too shabby either. ;)

Wow just found this thread and....just wow. I am totally inspired. Dam... guess its time for a new tank. This whole project is top notch.

stoney waters

In an attempt to keep my calcium levels above 400 I decided to build and give a kalk reactor a try.

There are many DIY's out there. Here is my version. It will operate in-line with my ATO.

IMG_0879.jpg

The return is fitted with an enductor for enhanced mixing.

100_0825.jpg

A union fitting was used for access. It creates a better seal and is much easier to open then some builds that use clean out caps.

IMG_0882.jpg

Here is a pic of the reactor running with kalk ( I decided to use pickling lime) you can see the mixing level through the clear PVC.

IMG_0887.jpg

I plan on getting it hooked up and running this weekend. I will keep an eye on my params and update on its performance. If anyone has used one before and has any advise or tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, great job Stone!

Thanks for the detailed pics too.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Another sweet, super clean DIY by The Man folks!

• 4 weeks later...
stoney waters

I think it might be some sort of encrusting SPS. The LFS owner was out of town and his staff didn't' know the meaning of SPS :huh:

Needreefunds

Ah....for the Wife for Christmas......

Why didn't I think of that...

Stoney, you are, without a doubt, the Master.

:lol:

Sorry I can't help with the ID, but its very sweet looking.

:)

WOW!

I just read this entire thread, and I'm blown away. Everything from the control panel to the use of textured ABS sheet for the overflow... I could go on for a while here. Oh the blue acrylic in the sump, GREAT idea! I've just spent hours reading and saving pics.. These will come in handy..

The Kalk reactor is great too! Any in progress pics or pics of the pieces used? Will it mount in the stand or in the room behing the tank?

Some of the best DIY stuff I've ever seen in my few years of reefing.. thanks for the inspiration!

stoney waters
The Kalk reactor is great too! Any in progress pics or pics of the pieces used? Will it mount in the stand or in the room behing the tank?

oh yea, I wanted to ask how your DIY kalk reactor was doing?

I have not put it into operation yet, still waiting on my new calcium and alk test kits. Once I got all the parts I put it together so fast I did not think of taking a lot of pics. It's really straight forward. The bottom is an ABS closet flange with knock-out test plug and is attached to a base plate I made out of leftover material from my overflow. The tube is 3" clear PVC topped with a 3"x 1 1/2" reducing coupling, union fitting and cap. There is a couple of uniseals and pvc pipe for the 160 gph circulation pump. I plan on putting it in the adjacent room.

Here is another pic of my ID coral with full polyp extension.

IMG_1041.jpg

A few more coral shots.

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

Archived