Top Shelf Aquatics

Mike's 7 gallon bowfront tank :)

StatiKShocK

StatiKShocK

here's an idea i found online about an in-tank refugium...not sure how effective it is ...but its worth a try

mikerefugium.jpg

(Edited by StatiKShocK at 4:17 am on April 13, 2002)

StatiKShocK

my tank leaked after 3 weeks that my tank was set up...so here's my new tank....LOL...jk....just temp. until i get my new tank :)miketempgallontank.jpg

StatiKShocK

took me a while to decide how i wanted my rocks...thats why i have different rock positions for every pictures :) but here are some picture of my current and final setup

mike2tanks.jpg

StatiKShocK

tank specs (4/13/02)

7 gallon AGA bowfront

Jbj desktop formosa lighting (2 18watt PC 10K day/7k actinic

Whisper powerfilter

Rio 90

50 watt Ebo jager heater

10lbs aragonite sand seeded with 1lb of florida live sand

15lbs figi live rock

inhabitants : firefish, sally lightfoot crab, 1 scarlet hermit, 3 astrea snails, 2 blue legged hermit, and lots of tube worms

Coral: green star polyp (fraged from 55gallon tank)

future plans for my tank:

CPR aquafuge refugium

Rio 50

protien skimmer ( im only going to skim the day before water change to make sure that my water stays crystal clear...so please hold the harsh comments :) )

Corals...but i cant decide on what to get..so im doing more reasearch and taking my time

and of course a digital camera..so ill keep you all posted with new pics soon :)

(Edited by StatiKShocK at 4:11 am on April 13, 2002)

(Edited by StatiKShocK at 4:14 am on April 13, 2002)

The green stuff looks like the beginnings of slime algae to me.

The rocks look nice though, I like the structure.  What are you using to hold your lights up?  Just a glass strip?

Great looking tank! I like your final rock setup (unless you've changed it again already...;)) What type of lighting system is that? How much did it cost? Looks like the one my LFS sells... Do you cover the tank with anything to stop water evapuration?

nice tank love the rock formation set my alife seven yester day my dige can sux im gettin a new one soon hope the tank turns out well cam barr

StatiKShocK

My lighting is made by jbj... and could be found at jbjlighting.com. there is not cover so its an open top...lots of evaporation. about 1/4 to 1/2 cup every day. i plan to get those aquaclear surface skimmer too to increase gas exchange and evaporation

Hey statik how long are you running your lights for i had the same problem with green algea so i backed off the time a little and it is all under control now

NanoReefer53

I've been lookin at those JBJ fixtures for a while. Can you adjust the legs to fit different sized tanks ? Can they hook on to other light fixtures or have it rest on them ?

Well, looks real good!

You all probably remember my posts talking about me wanting to convert my 3 gal. Eclipse  to a nano, but I managed to pickup a mini-bow 7 gal. this week. Yeah! I hope mine doesn't end up leaking like StatiKShocK's.

I personally want to simply do a retro-fit light into the existing hood. Has anybody done this to this particular tank?

Also on a side note, the light my tank comes with claims to be a 40 watt. See the photos. Is this light possibly strong enough by itself for a nano? The light seems to look pretty strong with a slight purple tint to it. Don't know if the digital pics will do the tank justice but it does appear to be very bright. What are your thoughts everybody?

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

Thanks for the heads up on that. So let me clarify, the ballast is capable of handling a 40 watt bulb and the bulb itself is only 14? Or, is the whole package only capable of 14 total watts output?

If the whole thing can only do 14 then where do they get 40 from? Is that how much power it simply consumes?

the bulb is only 14 watt...the ballast says its 40 watt...but you cant really do much because 14watt NO bulbs is the only thing you can fit in there.

i also tried using a 24watt NO bulb...but it wont light up..thats why i think its only a 14watt ballast...but it could be a problem on the specific one i got....so let me know if yours work out :)

Thanks!

I will poke around and talk to friends and see if anybody has a 24 watt I could try out. I will let you know if it works but I'm thinking it won't.

It seems that the ballast, light and starter are simply consuming 40 watts of total power but are only able to output 14 watts. Maybe I should contact All-Glass and see what they have to say about it.

So on that note, anybody try light nano-reef keeping on 2 watts per gallon? Perhaps a single damsel with LR and LS could thrive? I am still lacking any confidence in buying and keeping corals so they would have to be very hardy and not require massive amounts of light. But, I probably won't move forward until the lighting is upgraded. It seems the best way to do this right.

im planning on doing a 7 gal bowfront was that tank that you used the mini bow 7? because thats what im getting and how many watts are your lighting ? how many inches is the tank long? thanks ,Chris

You can keep LR no problem with the 14 watt bulb.  If you put in a 10,000 K, you could get a couple mushrooms and see how they do.  You shoudl be able to pick up loose ones for a buck or two, so you won't be out much.  The problem is that its' really hard to find a variety of bulbs in the 15" size.  I've gone through lots on mine to find a decent color, and that's for FW planted where spectrum isn't as critical.

HTH

Very cool! Thanks for the input Kapelakin (that name is hard to type fast!)

Perhaps I may move forward soon anyway then with only a cleaner crew, LR and LS and either a blemmy, goby or a damsel. Only one small fish for 7 gallons. Sound about right?

Now that I think about it, I do recall seeing previous threads in the past talking about low light coral setups (mostly for temporary purposes until lights are upgraded). Mushrooms seem like a good place to start.

In the long haul however, I am seriously planning on following AJA's hood design for creating a curved wood bow hood for the mini-bow tank. Truely a great piece of work which isn't all that hard to put together (so it seems, we will see when I get mine done:) ) Then I can put in proper lighting for my nano.

Archived