SaltCritters.com

My Biocube 14!

Gvtv44

TC: Ok, so no clam I guess. Yes, slow stocking! BTA and Bird nest wise- I may try only if I can get LR that will go up very high near my lighting (so it will get it full force in the 48 watts of lighting).

MD: Thanks.

All: I am trying to see if I can buy an already modded 72 watt hood from somewhere. (Any ideas?)

Finally, the pump- do I need a clamp on the hose? (It didn't come with one)

What about species ideas? (See above)

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I am doing a full set up test with FW, but I have a few questions:

How high should the water level be? I don't have any filter cartridges in, and I removed the Bio balls and the drip tray. THe water level in all of the chambers is almost full. And Chamber 3 is way above the MAX line. (See pics below):

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

How do I find the right water level???

And my 1st FTS! LOL

DSC00032-1.jpg

My only inhabitants are umm... maybe some bacteria. LoL

Thanks!

Thats a good level if youre going to be using the second chamber as a fuge so youll have your LR all submerged in the back chamber.... If youre going to use the bioballs it is too high, it should only be filled to the MAX line in the third chamber.

You wont need a clamp at all, everything should stay together fine. I actually ditched that stupid elbow piece and ran hos straight from the pump to the back wall.... the elbow is smaller than the tubing I used, so it was actually a restriction.

What do you need to know about species ideas ?? Your list looked good..... If youre asking specifics, I would say go with a pair of percs, a purple firfish, and a cleaner shrimp. I dont think youll need 2 shrimp in a 14G... And if you upgrade the lighting get an anemone for the pair of percs... The little island thing doesnt make any difference, it will go where it wants and usually pics the worst spot in your tank. :lol:

rayraynlindy
Good.

The pump- do I need a clamp on the hose? (It didn't come with one)

What about species ideas? (See above)

Thanks!

Hey there, I am a fellow 14 gal chik and have thus far had wonderful success accept with star snails and a couple astreas. Oh yes and I had a manderin that was very thin so I had to move him to my boyfriends 90 gallon. Here are my stats and I love it so far......

CUC:

- CRABS

- 3 scarlet hermits

- SNAILS

- 1 tronchus

- 1 black turbo

- 1 red banded tronchus (the best cleaner ever!)

- 1 mexican grazer

- 2 elephant nose

- 3 astrea

- 1 red foot

- 2 bumble bee

- 8 nassarius (sandsifters and very small and cool)

- INVERTS

- 1 sand sifting star

- 1 cleaner shrimp

- 1 peppermint shirimp (took care of the few aptasia I had)

- 1 yellow sea cucumber

CORAL

- Tons of different muchrooms

- Pink xenias

- purple xenias

- blue xenias

- couple sponges

- couple gorgonias

- lots of ricordias

- various polyp rocks

- metallic green star polyp

- florescent tip torch

- pink hammer

FISH

- 1 ocellaris clown

- 1 randall's goby

WATER PARAMS

- Nitrites 0

- Amonia 0

- PH 8.1-8.3

- Salinity .022-.023

Everything is doing wonderfully but as I said I lost a couple snails and I couldn't keep the mandarin fed. here's a pic....

post-23487-1167704952_thumb.jpg

Thanks, that's always good to know, lol. I tried it w/o elbow, but won't reach, so I just left it. (Whatever :) )

Species:

Crab ?

Hermit?

Sea start?

Thats about it.

Oh, and LR... whats better , cured or uncured? (I want good diversity = hitchhikers) Do you think I'll get enough with cured?

Thanks again! :)

rayraynlindy
Thanks, that's always good to know, lol. I tried it w/o elbow, but won't reach, so I just left it. (Whatever :) )

Species:

Crab ?

Hermit?

Sea start?

Thats about it.

Oh, and LR... whats better , cured or uncured? (I want good diversity = hitchhikers) Do you think I'll get enough with cured?

Thanks again! :)

By the way I replaced my pump with a rio 600 and stuck the hydor flow in the tank for the wave effect. I didn't put any clamps on the hose and I still have the stock one in there. The hydor flow is a very good investment. I don't have any other powerheads in my tank and have awesome flow.

I have only used cured live rock in any tank simply because I don't want to cure it myself. From what I hear, you can lose live stock to some of the bad stuff in the rock if it is not cured long enough or correctly. Nomatter what, before adding live stock, you want to have fully cured rock. There are still a fair share of hitch hikers in it. Most of them you may never see though since they have to be deep in the rock to survive the curing process.

Good evening. I also have received a 14g bio cube, and have it set up with Pacific sand and salt water. It has maintained a temperature of 79 degrees without the heater being plugged in. Living in Canada and my indoor house temperature is around 70 I am having difficulty understanding why this is. I have 5 fresh water tanks from 35 - 50 gal. and each has at least one heater. Just wondering. Looking forward to watching the tank grow.

GVTV here a few sugestion on you stock.

You wanted a starfish, get a Harlequin Serpent Starfish form some place like Sealife.

star.jpg

I wouldn't get a cucumber in a 14 Bio. With 20 pounds of live rock you won't have that much sand surface to worry about. I have the 29 and 34ish ilbs of LR and not a whole lot of surface. I like uncured live rock in a new tank. It is really cool watching what comes alive in the tank. Yes it takes longer to be able to put what YOU WANT in it but the process is a good learning tool.

Sharkpng: Heat from the lighting and pump probably.

rayraynlindy: Nano Dude! You tank looks very nice- good variety. I think I'll get w/e I find looks better. But I am leaning towards cured- less of a mess.

chantweaver: True- I'll stick to other things that are smaller and sift the sand.

All: I may send my hood to nanotuners to install the 72 watt hood!!! :)

I had a sand sifting star and he didn't make it. There really isn't enough room for them to move in our small tanks. Unless you give them alot of open sand without any LR restricting them from diong their job it may be better to opt for a sand sifting fish or snails.

I have a little red sea star that adds great color to the tank. I added him after my tank was up and running for about three months. I have been told that you need a well established tank. He's now been in my tank for 4 months or so and seems to be diong fine. Size wise he is about 3". Not too easy to find in LFS you may have to ask them to get one for you.

As for the BTA I have one in my tank and they will almost always move towards the shaded areas. they like to keep their base in the shade and then reach towards the light with their tentacles. try and keep them away from your surface skimmer, because I have seen alot of people lose their ananome's because they get stuck in the surface skimmer and get chewed up badly.

And I agree with TC, add stock slowly to reduce dangers of overstocking. Inverts do not add to bio load like fish do, so it would be best to add them first.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Rasooch: Pics please!! Good! My LFS has them pretty frequently if it's what I think it is.

Here is an old pic. I will be post new ones once i get home from work.

post-23197-1167753640_thumb.jpg

rayraynlindy
Gvtv44 - Thanks for the compliment. I finally had time to post new pics.

post-23197-1167790494_thumb.jpg

post-23197-1167790679_thumb.jpg

Awesome lookin tank RaSooch! I love how your rock is set up! I can't wait to get some more bare stuff for my 14. How long have you had your clams? I have heard that they don't usually last long in the nanos? DO you do any supplemental feeding for them? They look totally healthy, I was just wondering as I am looking to try one out in my 29 with the 4.36 upgrade? Do ya think that is enough lighting for one? Hot tank!

Rasooch: Wow... It looks like a completely different tank. (In a very good way) I see your shrimp is camera shy... lol... only antennae huh? Those clams look amazing! (How much?!?) You have the 72 watt mod right?? Did you do any mods pump wise? (Changed out stock pump/ added power head???) What is the thing in the underside of the cave (white inside and orange brown outside?)

VERY NICE!!! (I definately have something to aspire to. :)

(Sorry about all the questions :( )

rayraynlindy - I just added the clams last week and I was told by a few LFS' and a marine Biologist that I should have plenty of light with the 3.24 lighting upgrade for this species of clam. Both are Maxima Clams and so far I have not done any supplimental feeding.

The pair ran me $110 which I think is a good deal but not too sure.

Gvtv44 - Yes I do have the 72 watt mod, no mods to the pumps or any additional pumps either. The thing that you are seeing is my newly positioned BTA who has not been happy for awhile, although my other BTA inside the cave seems to be doing really well and I added him last week as well. The white and brown one you see is supposed to be pink tipped and he was at one time. I am hoping his new home that I just gave him you see there will do him some good. As I stated in another post that BTA's like their foot to be shaded.

And thanks for the compliments.

Yes, thats a decent price. Thanks for the IDS. I am trying to get a 72 watt mod. (Then an anemone and a clam :) )

I got my 1st shipment of supplies today- will post pics soon! (Hint: my new heater is amazing!!!)

I ordered the 72 watt mod, with variable ac adapter, and increased airflow!!! It will move my schedule back, but it should be worth it in the long run! I am still adjusting the temp (new azoo heater works very well), and I will have to do it after I add the new lighting too, I believe.

Now do you guys think I can stick to my original stocking plans of the following???:

Corals:

Mushrooms

Ricordea

xenia

zoanthids

buttons

star polyps

toadstool leather

plate

brain

bubble

birds nest

Anemone:

BTA

Clams:

a small one in there eventually...

Clean up crew:

Umm... 2-3 Hermits

A crab

2 shrimp

5-10 snails (w/e I like that are safe)

a sea star

Thanks!

I was also interested in a toad stool leather but my LFS said that if ididn't have MH lighting it would most likely go brown on me. not sure if anyone has had any success with keeping one under PC's, I haven't really asked around. As far as everything else you are looking to keep it looks to be good to me, but then again I am no Marine Biologist.

Just be sure not to go too quickly with stocking your system. I added a new peice about every two weeks or so.

I was gonna try and order from these guys for a few rics and zoo's in the near future.http://sealifeflorida.com/catalog/index.php

Their stuff looks really nice but I never ordered livestock before because I would need to get on the weekend and that just isn't garanteed to get on a Sat.

I can't wait to see your tank mature. Looking forward to it.

Wow... that's some LR they have on that site... lol... I doubt every piece looks that good. But they do have some interesting stuff... I've never mailordered Livestock either... no reason to really, but I may try with something small. I am going very slowly... but thanks for the reminder- I'm sure everyone knows how it feels when they see that one extra thing that they want to get :D Judging from this info : http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=753

It seems it needs moderate to high, so I may try it if I see a smaller one at my LFS. I think if I get one, it'll have to go in direct light. It would be one of the last ones I would buy though, as I want to get experience w/ corals that are easier to keep at first.

Thanks!

What type of hydrometer is best? (I ordered a decent swing arm for now)

Archived