inTank Media Baskets

My Biocube 14!

Gvtv44

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:welcome: !

Hi, thanks for the complements! :happy:

It's indeed a soap dish, drilled out for flow, but it doesn't have a cover on it... from Walmart, if I had to do it again, I'd buy a dish of the soft variety, one that is like mesh, because as of now, I have to clean it out once a week, as detritus builds up on the bottom :( As for the feather dusters, they came in on my live rock, (lucky) and the Hawaiian on the mushroom rock. You can buy them in the store, for about $4-15 but they look much better than mine! :lol:

Good Luck, and if you need any help/ advice, feel free to PM me! ;)

I need to post an updated FTS!!!

Cool thanks for the answers, noob in training myself, just surfin the forums for answers. What exactly does the chaeto do?, biological filter? or whats it's purpose for? :huh:

Went back to some local fish shops around me yesterday after doin some more homework getting pumped up to look at fish and some JBJ nanocubes and/or oceanic cubes and I'm findin everywhere I go and talk to the employees, they all shoot me down and talk me out of buyin a 12gal nano :unsure: Sure it's my 1st saltwater, but I don't really wanna dive head 1st into a huge aquarium I can't really afford, and some of the smaller nanos seem to fit what I'd like to do.

So am I in way over my head tryin to setup a 12gal nano as my 1st Tank? (well 2nd tank, currently have a 36 gal freshwater) my other option for tanks I'm lookin at is the redsea cube 29 gal I believe, think that tank would be alot easier on a 1st timer? Thanks guys any advice would be appreciated!! ;)

Chaeto: Think living filter media- it absorbs nitrates, dissolved "stuff" and other nasties and as it grows, you throw some out (or sell or trade) and you essentially remove it from the system.

Don't listen to the LFS- they just want you to buy a bigger tank so they get more $$$. You are definitely not in over your head if: you have the funds to run one, you do lots (a month or two or 5 like me) of RESEARCH and you are patient, stock lightly, and slowly, you will be fine. This site is an invaluable reference for us nano reefers, and I couldn't keep one without one ;) The redsea max is 34 gallons, and although they are nice, they are way overpriced IMO. The bigger the tank the better, in any case, not only because it is easier to keep (that's a matter of debate) but because it you can fit more into it. IMO buy the BC 14, do some mods, and see how you like it... later on you can upgrade to the RSM or a bigger tank. If you work out a system, and stick to it (that reminds me, I have to do a wc today :eek: ) you will do fine in keeping a 12-14 gallon tank... look at all the people who do it here :happy:

Needreefunds
I just realized something... it's time for a pic update!!!

Well, not that we are complaining, but..yes, it is! :lol:

'Nuff complaining :lol:

Onslaught of pics, enjoy the madness:

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00638.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00670.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

DSC00675.jpg

DSC00678.jpg

DSC00680.jpg

DSC00681.jpg

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00686.jpg

DSC00689.jpg

DSC00627.jpg

;)

Are you sure you didn't come to IL and steal my plate ?

Looks EXACTLY like mine

Nice tank :) Do you have the 72W yet or is that soon?

I wanna see some clams !

Needreefunds: I have them in chamber 3, they like it back there, nice and cozy :lol:

MD: :ninja: I snucked in and used my voodoo powers to copy yours! I've had teh 72 watt mod, and am looking at a crocea clam- am I nutz??? Thanks for the compliments!

Kev: Thanks! Nice tank you got there too!

Ehhhhhhh...I'm not sure I'd be balls to the wall for a crocea :/

If you're willing to wait a bit to see if mine decide to jump out of the tank and onto the street for more sunlight, I'll keep you guys posted :)

I think I'm the only one that doesn't have a crocea fetish...lucky me I actually like squamosa better than crocea :P

Teardrop maxi and a gigas

The maxi seems like he's fine. No gaping, regular light sensitivity....healthy color (better than under the MH IMO) and overall sexxy :)

I don't really have any reasoning on not to get a Crocea...just unsure of how itll work.. These are my first two clams...but I feel as if I've read enough to write a book! If you do get a crocea, try to get a less 'blue' one as they are less light demanding. < On the brightside if it dies...its not wildcaught - they are all aquacultured :)

^Damn I'm longwinded...somebody should slap me if i do that again

Thanks! Nope, same old camera phone- I just used a magnifying glass for the coral shots, and tried to hold it still for the FTS's :lol: It's amazing how good a magnifying glass can make things look!

Surf: Thanks! Now to get some clowns :lol: Literally!

Mdeth: Yea, I kinda cheated just look at it like a lens, lol.

Thanks!

btw... more should be coming Tues... :D

Needreefunds

:haha: CAMERA PHONE!! :haha:

Geez, you take better shots with that phone and mag glass than I do with my camera!!

More toys Tuesday?? Cool, hope they ship well, good luck! Looking forward to seeing them.

BTW, have you been to Aquatic Obsessions in Avenel? Just found out about it recently, but have not gone yet. Haven't gotten to Eagle Reefs yet either!

Man I gotta take a road trip!!

I know... it takes better pics than my Cannon elph! I guess it's because I can focus and refocus it on an exact object. I hope they come in good shape too! I haven't been there, but I'll plan a trip! Kinda far though... You REALLY need to go to eagle reef- I am yet to get back there though :(

• 2 weeks later...

I AM GOING TO KILL AND MUTILATE AND COOK AND FRY AND BUTCHER AND BURN MY URCHIN!!!!! :angry:

:eek: then put it in my Fw tank :lol:

It keeps destorying the rock structure, and collapsing it, and knocking down all the coral... I try to catch him.. but well... it's kinda hard when he is in the center of the rocks. I can get to him, but when I try to pull him off, he won't budge, and I don't really want to get stabbed.. what to do? :huh:

Archived