Innovative Marine Aquariums

Whens the new contest?

PseudanthiasVentralis

we havent even set up the rules yet. I hope this can be a joint effort between nano-reef and reeftuners. Like keep the diaries on reeftuners for easy info logging

and the chitchat here.

I want this to be about a concept, whether focusing on technical equipment, technique or otherwise.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
we havent even set up the rules yet. I hope this can be a joint effort between nano-reef and reeftuners. Like keep the diaries on reeftuners for easy info logging

and the chitchat here.

I want this to be about a concept, whether focusing on technical equipment, technique or otherwise.

what concept are we talking about here? I centered my tank around diy, cheap, and easy stuff, to prove that everyone can abandon the all in one.

ReadyReefer

i think something like a 20 gallon or less contest where one feature must be DIYed. i.e. lighting, filtration, water movement, etc.

• 3 months later...

If we're doing the less than 20 gal. option, I've got a 1/2 10 gal. that I want to rig up anyway. Never done a tank for a contest before, I think it'd be fun.

Bill

i think the cheaper the cost, the more people will participate, especially those of us who are setting up 2nd tanks for the contest. I could go for a 5g AGA only contest

example 2 categories:

1. basic- max PC lighting, no external plumbing of any kind

2. extreme- 5g sump allowed, no limits

just an example

kind of like nascar, it would keep the equipment pretty even, leaving aquascaping and planning to be the winning factors

• 2 weeks later...
i think the cheaper the cost, the more people will participate, especially those of us who are setting up 2nd tanks for the contest. I could go for a 5g AGA only contest

example 2 categories:

1. basic- max PC lighting, no external plumbing of any kind

2. extreme- 5g sump allowed, no limits

just an example

kind of like nascar, it would keep the equipment pretty even, leaving aquascaping and planning to be the winning factors

5G AGA would be a good choice :)

i think something like a 20 gallon or less contest where one feature must be DIYed. i.e. lighting, filtration, water movement, etc.

I like this idea as a free for all with no limits to lighting or flow. I assume that I'm not the only one here with enough crap in boxes to put another tank together. It would keep the cost down being able to use the stuff I already have without adding to it after a contest ends. I dont even need prizes ( I never win anyway's) , if enough people participate I would like to do it for fun. I wouldnt even care if already existing tanks were able to enter depending on how far along the setup is. I've seen some new tanks posted on the site that are pretty new and wouldnt bother me a bit if they were allowed in a new contest. It may also increase participation.

chris might hate me for this but...

i'm actually a little surprised no sponsors have considered (really bothered chris for) name-sponsoring a new contest in their sub-forums here. e.g. section off a spot where their ads dominate, get their name on the contest, etc. i mean advertising's all about name-mention. and the mention goes on and on for a looooong time. (see previous contests still mentioned years after the fact)

yes, it means more work for the mods but chris could charge for it (and/or watch over it himself :P ). or maybe one of the sponsor's employees charged with monitoring could do it. *cough*job-justification*cough*

basically, it's drawing up the rules (mostly borrowed from previous contests), allotting a new sub-forum, desginating calendar/dates for criteria (startup pics, 1-month pics, 3-month pics, 6-month pics, etc.), and then leaving the judging and prizes to the sponsor(s).

...i hope chris doesn't ban me for this. :unsure:

I know some of you would like to continue on the with the contests, but here are some reasons why I felt they were not working:

A bunch of people go through the extra effort, cost, etc to setup a second tank just for the contest. Then more than 80% fail for various reasons. Some people run out of money, some don't have the time, some crash, etc. It just seems like such a waste. I would rather have people focus on their first tanks.

There's also a huge disadvantages created. Members without established tanks that participate don't have mature corals, rock, etc. to add to their new system. Money also plays a huge factor. But even if there was a cost limit to the contest, it cannot be enforced. Prices on corals and equipment vary vastly from city to city, and corals and fish could simply be traded for or gotten for free from friends.

it's not the work for us that is the problem, but participation. each time there's a huge demand for a contest, but a year later when it's been organized and started, finished and ready to judge, there's only a handful of participants that stick it out to the end. after a full year, many of the really outspoken voices that requested a contest have moved on to a new hobby like pokemon cards or WoW.

after a full year, many of the really outspoken voices that requested a contest have moved on to a new hobby like pokemon cards or WoW.

:lol:

Sounds like Chris is thinking about the livestock too :)

it's not the work for us that is the problem, but participation. each time there's a huge demand for a contest, but a year later when it's been organized and started, finished and ready to judge, there's only a handful of participants that stick it out to the end. after a full year, many of the really outspoken voices that requested a contest have moved on to a new hobby like pokemon cards or WoW.

When I went to school only 5% graduated ... Does that mean that people shouldn't go to school ? I think this is part of contests ... only the elite can win :)

srsly.

fraggle rockette

pffft- fine then cm, if u don't like the contests anymore, we'll just take it over to that other new get away with anything and everything reefing site :P

(i'm jk please don't hurt me!!! :lol:)

or pogs... i'd personally get distracted by pogs :happydance::(

pffft- fine then cm, if u don't like the contests anymore, we'll just take it over to that other new get away with anything and everything reefing site :P

you would leave me over THIS?!

but there's so much more...!

Patron Pico Reef Contest, adin.
i got my bottle!
omgomgomg

Archived