Top Shelf Aquatics

Whens the new contest?

PseudanthiasVentralis

I built my first 5.5 aga for 100$ with livestock...

I'd like to see a similar contest.

Unlimited mods and tank size but you only get 100$ to spend.

or possibly an equiptment fund cap, and livestock is up to you( we dont need a contest dedicated to brown palys, and plain purple shrooms).

It would have to be on the honor system, but we should get the option of disqualifying people with a 100% BS vote.

or better yet... deserted island nano contest

nano must run without being plugged into a 110v 15a/20a circuit. discuss.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oxygen depletion would probably be an issue. I’m having difficulty imagining a true reef without any power; however, I suppose that you could run something on batteries. A battery powered (or solar powered) pico contest might lead to some really innovative solutions.

I'm not sure that absolutely no power is possible. If it is, it would have to have tons of surface area like a tide pool (maybe bare bottom too). However, I think that working within limits is also interesting (maybe like a cap of 25W of total AC power).

It would be very hard, but I have a few suggestions to think about that would work.

Lithium Ion batteries on solar chargers.

Pedal power on a battery :)

Gas power?

Temperate cold water(for those of us on/near the coasts)?

fraggle rockette

solar powered is def interesting, but might have heat issues... solar powered fan too! lol. i'm already thinking about this one :happy:

definately need a budget cap tho, if not just for us as partially-claiming-to-be-sane individuals and for our other tanks sakes as well :P

can we keep this familiar, not a high school science project! i'm mentally challenged so pls understand

can we keep this familiar, not a high school science project! i'm mentally challenged so pls understand

I have to agree, I know some people are looking for the next CRAZY thing, I am down with the format that has been in place.... custom and stock ......

Can we have another hint already :wacko:

fraggle rockette

the group buy half 15g sounds pretty cool to me now actually... :D but i dont knowhow we'd get tanks to those not in socal -_-

i really want to get in on one of these contest dealies but every time theres a contest something is always up

i interested either in the prop tank or money cap idea

START ONE SOON!!!

i really want to get in on one of these contest dealies but every time theres a contest something is always up

i interested either in the prop tank or money cap idea

START ONE SOON!!!

I will agree...."start one soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

i'm mentally challenged so pls understand

That will earn you a sit in the electric chair here in Texas!!!

petarded.png

I'm gonna throw out the idea of a 1watt or less tank (lighting). Under 30g and not just FOWLR.

Mushrooms, featherdusters, some sponge species, plenty of different invet species, fish, liverock, sea fans, sun corals, and possibly a couple soft coral species. It totally doable..

I vote for a non-photosynthetic <10G or <5G.

I do have an old blender with a huge glass pitcher and an extra 1/2" bulkhead fitting...

I do have an old blender with a huge glass pitcher and an extra 1/2" bulkhead fitting...
bassomatic.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that you can enter just about anything in the open category (battery powered, coffee pot, 1W per gallon, cold water, etc); although I think that it is interesting to compare various solutions to the same restriction.

ReadyReefer

i am new here but like the idea of a contest. i think a power cap idea would come up with some intersesting solutions. you could say have all power supplied by 6 AA bateries or something like that

Best DIY equip that benefits the hobby.

New nano skimmer, Cal reactor, etc.. designs? Cooling solutions...

Would have to be non-ghetto, but something easy enough for most to accomplish.

Best DIY equip that benefits the hobby.

New nano skimmer, Cal reactor, etc.. designs? Cooling solutions...

Would have to be non-ghetto, but something easy enough for most to accomplish.

Combined with a coffee pot type thing

I just noticed an old coffee maker in the cabinet here at work ... omgomgomg

Combined with a coffee pot type thing

I just noticed an old coffee maker in the cabinet here at work ... omgomgomg

Don't ya just love the suspense? I hope this starts soon...... all the expectations....

Hey let's scrap the coffee pot and just do an aquafina bottle :rolleyes:

fraggle rockette
Don't ya just love the suspense? I hope this starts soon...... all the expectations....

Hey let's scrap the coffee pot and just do an aquafina bottle :rolleyes:

better yet, a salifert test tube ;)

Archived