inTank Media Baskets

Whens the new contest?

PseudanthiasVentralis

I always thought it would be neat to have a nano-reef diy invention contest. Some people on this site have come up with some pretty cool little diy inventions such as the soup dish refugium/frag dish, mag racks, nimble, etc.

A contest like this would encourage people to come up with some new ideas for nano-reef products. DIY in many cases has played a big role in moving the nano hobby forward.

There could be three major categories: 1) modify an existing nano product and make it better, 2) create a nano product from non-reef related products, and 3) create a nano product from scratch.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always thought it would be neat to have a nano-reef diy invention contest. Some people on this site have come up with some pretty cool little diy inventions such as the soup dish refugium/frag dish, mag racks, nimble, etc.

A contest like this would encourage people to come up with some new ideas for nano-reef products. DIY in many cases has played a big role in moving the nano hobby forward.

There could be three major categories: 1) modify an existing nano product and make it better, 2) create a nano product from non-reef related products, and 3) create a nano product from scratch.

I don't say this often so i'll bold it for emphasis.

lgreen i like your thinking

Pogs are quite distracting indeed! I just got a shiny new slammer :lol:

wow... that brought back memories...

Oh well, back to the trading forum...

Anyone got Barfin Marvin? I'll trade you for an Adam Bomb.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! Just an FYI, I know that these contests haven't had a lot of people finishing, or continuing with the contest, but the fact that some people do is encouraging to me! I have been onto tropical fish my whole life (I'm 33yo.) My dad was into the hobby before I was born.

I have been trolling these forums for a couple months now, and researching reef keeping for about 8 months.

I have always wanted to start a reef tank, but it has always seemed like a really overwhelming thing to start. The 10 gallon contest forum convinced me that I can do this - using familiar aquarium equipment! So a couple months ago, I started collecting parts. Yesterday I set up my first reef tank - just a 2.5g while I figure out what the rest of my 20g setup will consist of. OK maybe it will fail, but maybe it will succeed. Either way I'm giving the reef keeping hobby a try due to the confidence I have built up by reading the posts here. Worst case scenario, I have a slightly noisy acintic blue lamp on my night stand, and I start asking questions in the forums!

So I say who cares if people cheat, don't finish, have a 400g established tank to seed from, unlimited funds, or otherwise throw the balance of the contest off. Don't call it a contest, call it a challenge. If nothing else, more people will get interested, ask questions, and help this innovative hobby flourish. Honestly, I think all the "competitors" look at each other like fellow challengers here anyways. What a great way to learn about this fascinating hobby!

Frankly, I'm disapointed that there isn't another contest. Either way, I'll get photos of my little rig posted soon. See you in the forums!

Johnny

^^^ Well said, these contests are breeding grounds for new ideas, questions, and answers. New and old hobbyists can both benefit from the stuff that goes on in the contests.

I'm surprised not many sponsors have taken a step up to help set something up, they'd get a ton of publicity.

Obsessed Reefer

I'm up for a new contest too. I think we should do another small tank. Maybe a Tru-Vu Tank. Again Chris, if you dont mind, and we get enough people who would want to do one, I could put off a section of my site forums, for the contest. But I'm not sure how to work with sponsors, so that might just be a complete fan based, buy all your stuff and no prize (or we could all donate something) type of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love another contest, and I may have the money to enter if it happens!

The products of these contest are far greater in value that I think most conceive! I see alot of people who put theirs at work and in a more public setting than just their home, Which is GREAT! It exposes the world of nano-reefs and raises awareness.

Another contest... I demand it.

Archived