Cultivated Reef

Another fine BC29 Update R2D2

Deano

bump!!! moving to the bottom fast. I think this mod is worth a look.

Deano,

What kind of temp increase, if any, have you seen with then 96 retro?

Thanks!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teal Cobra and Robster both have threads going. I steal ideas from these two gentlemen regularly.

Off the top of my head, here are mods or equipment changes of which I'm aware. 99% of them can be found somewhere in this forum.

Chamber 1/2 Lip mod

Chamber 2 Conversion to skimmer

Chamber 2 conversion to rock/cheato (sp?) refugium or rock only for extra nitrobactor housing.

Chamber 1 conversion to refugium

Chamber 1 conversion for second pump

Pump upgrades

Hydor flow conversion

Tunze 6025 addition

Outflow to LineLoc Y conversion

4.36 Nanotuners lighting conversion

Hood/Refugium light addition

1.70 MH conversion Nanotuners

2.70 MH conversion (drool!) Not yet released Nanotuners (Let's go Chris ! We are waiting!)

Many of the things are listed are not true mods, but simply equipment upgrades.

Some of these conversions warrant a hard look for cause and effect i.e. temp increases associated with with heavy lighting upgrades. Living in Arizona, any light mod for me guarantees the addition of a big money chiller to avoid poached gobi with blanched ricordea !

Don't be afraid to do any mods that appear to improve critter heath;however, make sure you read what additional adjustments, if any, are necessary.

I would recommend the lip mod between chambers one and two even if you stick with the stock pump. It works well for stock or skimmer runs. Teal talked me in to it and I am much happier with tank flow.

The only potential reason NOT to do the lip mod is if you intended to create a refugium in chamber two. In this case you would likely want to maintain more water contact time with cheato (sp?).

Hope this helps. I'm new, so not trying to sound like an expert. Just trying to help as so many here have gone out of there way to help me.

New to this forum and have a pretty much stock BC29 going for a couple months (I have a hydor flow convertor and use chemi-pure and rowaphos. I have also been slowly replacing bioballs with LR ruble). I am up-to-date with Teal Cobra and Robster's threads. I can't seem to find any detailed threads on converting chamber 1 0r 2 to a fuge which I'm considering. Can you lead me in the right direction?

• 10 months later...

Well it has been over a year since I set this tank up. Thought I would put up some new pictures. Sorry my old pictures are gone because the webhost I had them on changed servers and lost them all.

Although I built a skimmer for this tank I have run it skimmerless since day 1 other then a few weeks. The tank seemed much happier without the skimmer so it has stayed that way.

I am running cheato in chamber 2. I also am using a Rena canister for mechanical filtration. Stock pump and a 150 gph pump sitting on top of the stock pump. This pump is used to push water down the back wall inside the display. This works great keeping the detrius cleaned out along the back wall and under the rocks.The reason I can get away with this is the fact that I am running a 75% false sand bed. To see this go back to page 1.

2 gal weekly water changes. The only chemicals used are Aragomite in the topoff water and pickling lime to keep the calcium up.

3 fish a Yellow Coris Wrasse to control zoe pest, Maroon clown which I don't recommend to others in this size of tank but I have had maroons for years. I just can't resist them. The maroon is going to have to go soon due to its fast growth rate, these guys get real big. Thinking I will trade the Maroon for a couple small tank raised True Percs. The last fish is a Coral Beauty. It likes to nip at my brain and other corls now and then but overall it has been a model citizen.

Inverts

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

1 Urchin

3 Red Leg hermit

6 blue legs

1 red formia starfish, I know these are if'y at best.

1 red nano serpet star

a couple differant snails. I would like more snails but I am concerned they will compete with the Formia starfish for food.

So here are the pictures

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0033-1.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

Ok how about some more eye candy since everyone likes pictures.

First time I tried one of these rock flower anemones. Its been another model citizen since I added it before christmas.

DSCF0006-1.jpg

Formia Star crusing by a very nice mixed coloney of zoes

DSCF0001-1.jpg

Some more Zoes and a frag of my Knobby Gorgonia taken from my 135.

DSCF0003.jpg

Florida Rics The greens I got from the LFS for $10.00 badly bleached but a diamond in the ruff.

DSCF0004-1.jpg

Purple Monti Digita

DSCF0005.jpg

Stay away from my Xenias or I will bite.

clown.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
by ur photos it looks like you could have added a 2nd 96 instead of ur stock 36's is that correct?
Hummm... I think that might be doable the problem is that it would be setting over the fans and there isb't much room between the lens cover and the fans. Right now I have the 36w that is over the fan and the plug had to be trimmed to clear the fan from rubbing on it as it was turning.
That tank must be pretty bright with the 96 and 2 36 watters in there....nice
Thanks, I am very happy with this mod. The best part is you can do it for less then nanotuners 4:36. But it is a 100% DIY project unlike the NT 4:36. Almost a good as a 150w Mh. NOT!!!!!! sorry still a Mh junki.

Added a couple new pictures.

My Yuma. I have been watching this one at my LFS for a couple months. They wanted $70 but I told them they were out of there minds. Stop by yesterday and the marked it down to $45. So I snagged it.

yuma.jpg

Not new but a nice shot of my pink ric.

pinkric.jpg

Looking good I like the modification with the lights very nice

Thanks :) . Sorry I had not see your build tread so I jump over to it to see what you got going on. I haven't had time to read all 13 pages but what I see is very nice. I like your hood mods, I to am fight heat issues. No to bad right now with both hoods open but in the summer it get pretty bad. Same evaportaion issue you had. I purchased a chiller but when I got it I had no idea the physical size and it is to big to fit next to my tank and file cabinet. So I am going to sale it and get me a JBJ nano. The one I bought was a 1/6hp I know that it way over sized for my tank but I figured it would have to work less then buying a small one.

Some more pictures.

My mini carpet I recieved yesterday for kigs. Can't wait for it to put on some size. Then produce some extra ones. Kinda small right now and my cameras macro sucks.

minicarpet.jpg

Cool top down shot. I was trying to get a picture of my GSP coloney. Lately it has not been opening. I think it is because my SG has creep up to about 1.0027 and I usally run it around 1.025.

GSPtd.jpg

Diane

Thank you.

They had 2 this was the bigger of the 2. Should of bought the other one for my 135. Oh well! I might stop by this coming week to see if they still have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the mod I did today to help with my cooling issues.

I have been hesitant about drilling holes in my hood but today I bit the bullet and think I found a nice compromise without trashing the top of my BC29. I drilled holes into the front hood following the decretive recess this help to hide the holes and give the mod a uniform look. As for the back hood I cut a circle and placed a 60mm fan in it pushing the air into the tank. I plan on covering the fan with a PC fan cover once I find one I like.

With both tops open the tank would maintain a level 79 degrees. When I finish and fired up the mod the tank temp drop to 77 degrees. I slowly adjusted my thermometer to bring the tank temp up to 78 degrees. So fare the tank has maintained that temp with both hoods closed. Right now the ambient room temp is around 70 degrees. I hope that when summer gets hear and the room temp gets to an average 73-75 degrees I can maintain around 79 -80 tank degrees. If not I will install my chiller.

top.jpg

fantop.jpg

I like the addition of the fan in the rear of the cover. Maybe I'll try that next hmmm...

Here are some pictures of the mod I did today to help with my cooling issues.

I have been hesitant about drilling holes in my hood but today I bit the bullet and think I found a nice compromise without trashing the top of my BC29. I drilled holes into the front hood following the decretive recess this help to hide the holes and give the mod a uniform look. As for the back hood I cut a circle and placed a 60mm fan in it pushing the air into the tank. I plan on covering the fan with a PC fan cover once I find one I like.

With both tops open the tank would maintain a level 79 degrees. When I finish and fired up the mod the tank temp drop to 77 degrees. I slowly adjusted my thermometer to bring the tank temp up to 78 degrees. So fare the tank has maintained that temp with both hoods closed. Right now the ambient room temp is around 70 degrees. I hope that when summer gets hear and the room temp gets to an average 73-75 degrees I can maintain around 79 -80 tank degrees. If not I will install my chiller.

top.JPG

fantop.JPG

I like the addition of the fan in the rear of the cover. Maybe I'll try that next hmmm...

Thanks...

So fare I am very happy with this mod. But I believe I will get a voltage adjuster so I can slow down or speed up the fan based on my cooling needs,

Very nice modification Dean. Looks great and aesthetically pleasing.

Love the mini carpet as well....any more pictures of it?

Thanks for looking...

This is the best I can do for you on the nem. It is very small right now and my camera macro sucks.

mininem2.jpg

EDIT: BEWARE!!! some concern about this switch, because it is switching using 120v though the switch. It could burn out the switch. Would recommend the Aquahub with the 12v switch and relay. I am going to mod this ATO to switch on 12v.

I posted the same in the Refugium Forum but wanted to document this in my build tread as well.

I found this Top-off.com. Never see anyone post about them, but there ATO switch is complete plug and play.

I use a Tom Vacuum Pump to pump the water to the tank sump.

Top-off.jpg

Top-off2.jpg

Top-off3.jpg

I love what you did to cool down the tank Nicer job than what i did it look great

JC thanks, your tank was my insperation for the hood mods.

Archived