Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Another fine BC29 Update R2D2

Deano

OK I rethought the fan idea and changed the 60mm I orderd to 80mm. 24cfm at 14dBA. I did this because I will be upgrading the lighting and want to make sure I have enough air movement. I am concidering doing my own mod instead of nanotuners 4.36. Corelife offers a Quad PC 96 watts that takes up the same space as the 2.36. I am thinking with the stock lights and the 96w Corelife I would have 168w, thats 24 more then the 4.36 mod. Since I will not be using the mod fans for the 4.36 even if I purchased that mod. I could do the 96w mod for less and have more light.

My question is anyone have any experiance with the Corelife 96w Quad bulb? The good, the bad and the ugly?

This is the retro I am looking at.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ES53201

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered 80mm fans for my hood as well, and found that the 60mm fans are already buried in the corner of the lens cover, so I wouldve required alot more modifications than the decrease in Db's was worth, IMO. I also found a 60mm to 80mm converter, but that would raise the fans too high and it would hit the 4th bulb.... As it sits now I just deal with the decibels. :)

OK I rethought the fan idea and changed the 60mm I orderd to 80mm. 24cfm at 14dBA. I did this because I will be upgrading the lighting and want to make sure I have enough air movement. I am concidering doing my own mod instead of nanotuners 4.36. Corelife offers a Quad PC 96 watts that takes up the same space as the 2.36. I am thinking with the stock lights and the 96w Corelife I would have 168w, thats 24 more then the 4.36 mod. Since I will not be using the mod fans for the 4.36 even if I purchased that mod. I could do the 96w mod for less and have more light.

Deano-

More air flow is not always the right answer!!! Correct temp in the hood is the desired outcome. if you want to see all the work I did for my cooling here's the link:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101942

If fluorescent bulbs run too cool or too hot, you will LOSE light output, while still burning the same watts!! It is all about balance.

cheers

-R

Deano-

More air flow is not always the right answer!!! Correct temp in the hood is the desired outcome. if you want to see all the work I did for my cooling here's the link:

If fluorescent bulbs run too cool or too hot, you will LOSE light output, while still burning the same watts!! It is all about balance.

cheers

-R

Showoff. :lol::lol::lol:

Deano-

cheers

-R

R I apprecite your very indepth light mod. Very helpful. I agree with you totally.

I was able to order 80x80x15 mm fan. So height shouldn't be a problem. I have took the canopy appart and agree it will be a major revamp to get these fans into the canopy but I think I have a plan, well see once I get the fans. I figure if I can get them in I can put them on a speed control like you so I felt it was best to error on more CFM's so I have room to tweak from there. If I have to slow them down it will mean less noise which is what I shooting for anyway, so be it.

Not owning a light meter could you tell me what temp your lights are running at to get the optimal out put. It would be easyer to shot for the temp then have to cash out for a light meter. I have allready blew the budget on this tank. Don't need any other expenses right now. I think that nanotuners say 108 is the temp to shoot for.

Anyone with an opinion on the Corelife 96 watt CP light?

I am going to totally change the hood as well to fit those 80mm's in, Im just waiting to hear back from my local store about ordering another hood to work on while the one I have is sustaining my tank thats up and running now... I cant wait till I have a blank canvas to work with. :D

Not owning a light meter could you tell me what temp your lights are running at to get the optimal out put. It would be easyer to shot for the temp then have to cash out for a light meter. I have allready blew the budget on this tank. Don't need any other expenses right now. I think that nanotuners say 108 is the temp to shoot for.

Deano- I tried to get internal ambient temps, but I did not have anyway to get temp meter inside the closed canopy!! the temps listed are for the temp around the bulb, so unless the canopy is all closed up, you can't stabilize the temps. also, your other concern is that if the voltage to get correct speed is too low, getting the larger fans to actually turn or more important start turning from off position. if that be the case, I've heard of some simple capacitor circuits people build to rectify that, but a little past electronics knowledge to design one (at this point at least)

hope that helps

-R

Deano- I tried to get internal ambient temps, but I did not have anyway to get temp meter inside the closed canopy!! the temps listed are for the temp around the bulb, so unless the canopy is all closed up, you can't stabilize the temps. also, your other concern is that if the voltage to get correct speed is too low, getting the larger fans to actually turn or more important start turning from off position. if that be the case, I've heard of some simple capacitor circuits people build to rectify that, but a little past electronics knowledge to design one (at this point at least)

hope that helps

-R

I appreciate the attempt. Looks like I will need to order a light meter.

I guess I will cross the fan start issue when I get there.

TC Once I get the fans in I will post some pictures. It will require some mods but nothing I don't think can be easily dealt with and anymore compicated then -R's mod.

Guess I will jump over to Reef Central and see if I can get an opinion on the Quad 96's from Corellife

I figured that it would just start with putting the one corner in, but the rest would overlap the part of the hood... with some grinding and cutting im sure I couldve gotten it in there also, I just wanted a more seamless look, so I am trying to find a new hood that I can "form" the way I would like. :D

The BC fans are crap. I have upgraded mine to the Silenx fan. This tank is now dead silent with just a hint of pump hummm and slight water trickling.

To install the fans requires 2 mods to the canopy, which I can easily go back to 60mm fans if ever needed. Highly unlikely though.

Most of the mods are to the fan itself. I put the fan over the light cover screw post, so you have to drill that fan hole large enough to fit the post and right up next to the fan housing so the fan will set next to the conopy cover. As well I removed the support webbing around the post so the fan would slid down the post fare enough to set on top of the old fan mounting posts. Opposite of that post you can elongate the fan hole to screw into the old fan mount. On exhaust fan outside mount I glued a rubber grommet type item I had to the canopy and then screwed the fan to that mount.

On the intake side you can do the same for the mounts over the post and old fan mount but you have to cut the wall next to the electrical coil ballast down both ends the width of the fan and to the height of the old fan mounts. Then using my solder gun I scribed a line between each of the vertical cuts, heating and bending at the same time. Take your time with this. You will end up with a lip pointing to the electrical parts of the cover. You now set the new fan onto this lip and over the cover post and screw the fan to this lip on the outside. Note you will need to remove the coil ballast out of the way to bend the lip and then you can reinstall the coil but you will need to cut the lip so it doesn't hit the coil.

DSCF0030.jpg

I get no pictures.... can you check them out to see if theyre not loading deano ?!?!? If they seem to be fine, can you email them to me at badazztealcobra@aol.com

Nope.

Should have pixs now. Sorry I had to change url providers verizon pixsplace would not allow to url link.

Nope. :mellow:

Should have pixs now. Sorry I had to change url providers verizon pixsplace would not allow to url link.

So a portion of the fan is still over the solid part of the cover from what I can see correct ??? Thats what I didnt like about it, so I am going to be doing something else with the 80mm fans I bought. ;)

So a portion of the fan is still over the solid part of the cover from what I can see correct ??? Thats what I didnt like about it, so I am going to be doing something else with the 80mm fans I bought. ;)

That is correct. That is way I payed close attention on getting the fans as deep into the outside corners of the canopy. Buy going over the clear light splash shields mounting post I am about 20mm over the inside factory fan mounts all the rest of the fan is over the vents. If the stock fan noise doesn't anoy you then I would skip the mod myself, but I will stand up and testify my lap top is louder then this tank running wide open.

Right now silence is golden :D:happydance: and I havent had any heat issues with the factory lights since the mod. Unfortunitly I still haven't ponyed up for a light meter so I can not tell you if I have effected my light output + or -.

I figured once I add my additional lighting if I have to cut some additional slots in the canopy to allow for more flow, these will be very few.

DSCF0073.jpg

I have the upgraded fans since I did the nanotuners 4.36 mod, and theyre pretty loud. I found some 80mm fans that are only 14 DbA while moving 24 CFM, so I will eventually be using those... Im just waiting for a new hood to arrive at the LFS so I can do all kinds of mods to it while I leave this hood on my tank for my fish. :D

I have the upgraded fans since I did the nanotuners 4.36 mod, and theyre pretty loud. I found some 80mm fans that are only 14 DbA while moving 24 CFM, so I will eventually be using those... Im just waiting for a new hood to arrive at the LFS so I can do all kinds of mods to it while I leave this hood on my tank for my fish. :D

Good Plan! Sounds like you have the same fans as mine, IE 14dBA 24 cfm.

My tank has nothing in it right now to require light so I am not concerned.

Once you make the fan mod you will not regret it. I can't believe Oceanic gets away with the stock fans. They are way to loud.

I was surprised they didnt have the hood made for simple 80mm fans.... there are so many more manuafacturers of 80mm fans that give you alot less DbA, that I cant believe they saved THAT much money to justify using the 60mm fans. -_-

I was surprised they didnt have the hood made for simple 80mm fans.... there are so many more manuafacturers of 80mm fans that give you alot less DbA, that I cant believe they saved THAT much money to justify using the 60mm fans. -_-

I agree I originally order 60mm Silenx fans and change my mind to the 80mm and they cost the same.

Right now I am kind of down on Oceanic. When I took my canopy appart to mod I noticed the corner of the light splash gaurd was broken. I have called there warrenty department twice and yet to speak to someone. I will forgive them due to the holidays for now but after that if I get another answering machine it is unexcussable.

• 4 weeks later...

Lgihting update!

I recieved and installed my Current Sunpaq 96w retro today. Here are some pictures. I will try to post some over the tank soon. The tank is at my office and I did the mod at home.

The retro bulb with the plug attached was al ittle long so I had to cut some rubber off the end of the plug but other then that I removed the moon lights and I just screwed the clips to the factory reflector.

Had some problems with the light over the fan. It would put pressure on the fan and stop it. So I had to hack up the light plug but other then that the rest was just move and screw.

post-24010-1169006361_thumb.jpg

post-24010-1169006477_thumb.jpg

post-24010-1169006500_thumb.jpg

post-24010-1169007096_thumb.jpg

post-24010-1169006511_thumb.jpg

Archived