inTank Media Baskets

New nano girl

mediumsprite

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My buddy's thinkin of startin a tank, gotta remind him to be a hot girl in his profile so people fall over each other giving advice... :ninja:

good luck with the tank ms...... pics, pics, pics!!!

Well the ICA chiller from Nanocustoms is a good choice. It chills up to about 5 degrees lower than what you're tank would otherwise be (usually around 86F for a Nano-Cube). I put on one my Aquapod over the summer during the bad heatwave we had, and it made a world of differance. Since you're b/f is good at making you a nice stand, installing the ICA into the hood shouldn't be to much of a task for him, it's pretty simple really, and a well spent investment as well. The ICA is made by Nanocustoms. The way I started out my nano was I bought the tank of course. Then I got the stand and set it up. I had my live sand ready for a couple weeks before setting the tank up and I premixed 2 5 gallong buckets of saltwater a few days before setting up the tank. That way the day I set it up, I could add the sand and water immediately. The tank sat for a little over a week before I added the L/R I got for it. Then from there I let it cycle and went crazy adding stuff to it, lol! But the method worked very well for me. My water wasn't cloudy like some experience when I added the sand and then water, and my tank only took a week to cycle which is really good for cycling time. That's all dependant on the L/R you get of course, how cured and cyclced it already is. On the stand, perhaps some "3/4 thick oak plywood would be a good choice for the top surface. It's strong, durable and would look fine when painted up to match the rest of the stand. Just a suggestion though! :)

Jin, you still get lots of attention because of your dope clam and tank! :D

I checked out the chillers, sweet! I will defiantly get one before next summer pops up.

The other moods I'm interested in doing are HQI lighting and a skimmer.

Thanks again Phix

My buddy's thinkin of startin a tank, gotta remind him to be a hot girl in his profile so people fall over each other giving advice... :ninja:

good luck with the tank ms...... pics, pics, pics!!!

thanks...pics will come soon

Looks good Miriam! :) The cloudiness should subside within a couple days. Hopefully the L/R for sale in the classifides can work out for you. That'll really speed along the cycle stage.

Looks good Miriam! :) The cloudiness should subside within a couple days. Hopefully the L/R for sale in the classifides can work out for you. That'll really speed along the cycle stage.

Thanks Phix,

I was looking into getting the HQI setup . Are the 70W good? Or you think they look as good as the 150W?

I think I'm going to Rainbow Pets to get the LR. I stopped there on my way home from wrk and they had some nice stuff:)

many thx

Thanks Phix,

I was looking into getting the HQI setup . Are the 70W good? Or you think they look as good as the 150W?

I think I'm going to Rainbow Pets to get the LR. I stopped there on my way home from wrk and they had some nice stuff:)

many thx

Always good to pick up your own L/R. :) As far as the HQI's, I can never tell when comparing, they all seem to look the same to me, lol! For a 12g 70w should be plenty sufficient though. Not to mention it'll be cheaper to purchase. ;) Good luck!!

Always good to pick up your own L/R. :) As far as the HQI's, I can never tell when comparing, they all seem to look the same to me, lol! For a 12g 70w should be plenty sufficient though. Not to mention it'll be cheaper to purchase. ;) Good luck!!

Thanks Phix,

Good looking tank. I agree with Phixion, 70 watts should be plenty.

thanks...just wanted to make sure before i buy:)

Good job, looks promissing.

Thanks Asin, your tank is awsome.

Got any PPE. I plan to get some as soon as I'm sure the tank has cycled:)

Wow, it cleared up fast! Looks good so far. :) Any ideas on what you're first livestock additions will be?

Good morning Phix:)

I think i will help cycle the tank using a damsel. I took a sample of water to the LFS and they said my parameters were good, Seems awfully fast for a cycle. SO i will check myself.

I'm still doing a little research on which test kit Brand to use. Any suggestions?

thx

Good morning Phix:)

I think i will help cycle the tank using a damsel. I took a sample of water to the LFS and they said my parameters were good, Seems awfully fast for a cycle. SO i will check myself.

I'm still doing a little research on which test kit Brand to use. Any suggestions?

thx

Good morning Miriam. :)

Honestly I wouldn't do the damsel cycling method. They are hard to get out of the tank, and one of the most aggressive fish you can get as well. Just go with testing it every other day or so.

As for test kits, I use the SeaChem Marine Basic kit, it's pretty good. Salifert as makes good test kits, but they are pricey and you pay for one test at a time. The SeaChem is 6 of your main tests you'll want to do, total and free ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, and also pH and alkalinity. Those are really all you want to test for right now, and perhaps phosphates too, to prevent algae blooms and outbreaks.

Good morning Miriam. :)

Honestly I wouldn't do the damsel cycling method. They are hard to get out of the tank, and one of the most aggressive fish you can get as well. Just go with testing it every other day or so.

As for test kits, I use the SeaChem Marine Basic kit, it's pretty good. Salifert as makes good test kits, but they are pricey and you pay for one test at a time. The SeaChem is 6 of your main tests you'll want to do, total and free ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, and also pH and alkalinity. Those are really all you want to test for right now, and perhaps phosphates too, to prevent algae blooms and outbreaks.

k:)

I noticed a bunch of lil feather dusters coming out:)

I'll pick up that test kit tonight. I'm curios if the LFS was correct about my parameters.

I've read how some people cut the black backing from the center chamber to create a refugium. Will this conflict with the sapphire skimmer?

thx again for all your help, I'm going to owe you a beer lol. Once the tank is going you should stop by for some beer. I'll have my BF whip up some steak. :)

k:)

I noticed a bunch of lil feather dusters coming out:)

I'll pick up that test kit tonight. I'm curios if the LFS was correct about my parameters.

I've read how some people cut the black backing from the center chamber to create a refugium. Will this conflict with the sapphire skimmer?

thx again for all your help, I'm going to owe you a beer lol. Once the tank is going you should stop by for some beer. I'll have my BF whip up some steak. :)

lol, thanks! And you're welcome! Always a pleasure to help out a newbie or fellow member. B)

Always good to test out the water yourself just in case. You'll want to test it regularly for the next couple week or so anyways.

Keep an eay to your tank though, over the next sever weeks, you'll more than likely notice something new in your tank or on your rock everyday! ;)

Archived