Cultivated Reef

Black Growth on Live Rock

MarkM

The last few days, I have noticed that a black growth is spreading all over my live rock. It does not show up in pictures, but in the tank it is very noticable. It looks almost like a spider web, and tears very easy. When you tear it, bubbles come out from behind it. When you tear a small piece off and take it out of water, it looks like a black slimy substance. The slime spreads all over the crevices in the live rock, and spreads from rock to rock. Sorry about the bad descriptions, but does anyone have any idea what this stuff could be? Thanks.

I'm getting the same on my rocks and sand. Scooping it out with a net gets it off the sand easily, but it comes back fast. Syphoning helps too, probably more effective in the long run.

I still haven't found a way to really get rid of it though

Certainly cyanobacteria.

It is a normal part of young tanks, so don't sweat it.

The way to be rid of it is to minimize the nutrients (NH3, NO2, NO3, PO$, etc...) floating around your tank, but don't worry about that yet.

Once your tank is cycled, be sure to use RO or DI water to mix up your SW and for top-offs, as this will help not to introduce unwanted nutrients that are commonly present in tap water.

Also, don't over-feed and be sure to thaw and strain any frozen foods instead of just plopping all the yummy juices in the tank.

Once again, this is a part of all young tanks and it takes some people a while to be rid of it.

^^Huh?

My tank has been setup since late august (I started on the 30th) and I havent had a caynobacteria,algea or hichiker problem in my tank.

^^Huh?

My tank has been setup since late august (I started on the 30th) and I havent had a caynobacteria,algea or hichiker problem in my tank.

Mine was setup a month or two before yours, you just wait another month... lol

Like Mr. Fosi said, it will run its course. That doesn't mean that it might never appear again. Give the right conditions, it can come back. Like a terrorist, it sits in wait.

Archived