Cultivated Reef

seaweed from the beach

BrassMonkey030

BrassMonkey030

thought it would be kinda need if i put that floating seaweed from the beach in my tank. always has fun critters in it,(probly take those out). would my dwarf angel like it? dont see the stuff in anyones display or fuge just wondering why.

BrassMonkey030

"And wouldn't you be worried about it blocking your lights? How cold is your tank"

i wouldnt completely cover the tank with it:) just a small piece.

"the beach" is southeast florida.

im sure it would get old quick. but would be kinda funny watching it move around. (fish clouds) hehehe

BrassMonkey030

sargassum, had to look that up, ya thats the stuff. there are always such neet things living in there. i have an extra ten gal and 70wmh. might pull a big mat of it up and stick it in there.

doesnt look like it can take over a tank or anything. Seems harmless. if it gets to big i can just pull some out like chaeto.

I'd quarentine it for at least a week, just to see if anything drops off it.

I haven't had very good luck with Sargassum, even after having it shipped by two seperate people.

I think it looks great in-tank, though.

DementedLullaby

Sargassum is awesome. I got some from the beach but sadly it died before I got it back to Canaduh.

C'est la vie. I'd love to setup a cold water Atlantic tank one day.

mybuickskill6979

i don't know about florida but i know here on the beaches we're always having bacterial problems and crap, i wouldn't trust ANYTHING from a local body of water or a local shore.

unless its like the beach on fiji or the northern most islands in the hawaiin chain. or some ###### hehe!!

haha i saw saggasum and was thinking WTF isn't it sarcasm lol!!! but yeah what evers lol!!

a coldwater atlantic tank i think would do fine if you had hte tank without a heater. the atlantic ocean temp varies 5 degrees or so as compared to the carribbean sea which stays pretty much within a few degrees i think. the temp change over the year from summer to winter should be bareable for the livestock. the sargassum often has crabs and shrimp as well as filefish. try it out and post pics! i think a larger tank might give you a little more room incase you get some cool critters thatd do well in a larger tank.

Archived