inTank Media Baskets

Starfish eat hair algae?

Buehler

The do eat algae off your glass but not hair. Try a lawnmower blenney and try to get your water parameters in check

yeah i've had my params in check forever now and it just keeps growing even more. I'm really not seeing any progress---which kind of worries me. I don't want it to get out of control.

It does take time...I still have some but it is dying off. I planted some macro alage in the main tank to remove the nitrates and introduced the lawn mower blenny who is ugly but gets the job done.

It does take time...I still have some but it is dying off. I planted some macro alage in the main tank to remove the nitrates and introduced the lawn mower blenny who is ugly but gets the job done.

I've heard some about the lawn mower blenny. He likes to munch on the hair algae OK?

Christopher

No sea star will eat algae of any kind. Reduce organics, change old bulbs, shorten photoperiod, reduce feeding, use frozen instead of flake food, mroe water changes, use RO instead of tap water.

No sea star will eat algae of any kind.

''Starfish are divided into three classes; Asteroidea that contains Sea & Cushion Stars, Ophiuroidea that contains Brittle, Serpent & Basket Stars, and Crinoidea that contains Feather Stars & Sea Lilies in the Subclass Articulata.

Even though some starfish species do eat algae and most are scavengers that come out at night to feed on detritus and debris...(goes on to say other off topic things)''

thats an article link from WetWeb

Okay.. .Asterina, the tiny hitchhikers, will eat film algae among other things, but I certainly wouldn't rely upon them for it, as they also eat corals. None of the commercially-available stars eat algae. Serpents and brittles...Nope. Feathers/Crinoids...HELL no.

Okay.. .Asterina, the tiny hitchhikers, will eat film algae among other things, but I certainly wouldn't rely upon them for it, as they also eat corals. None of the commercially-available stars eat algae. Serpents and brittles...Nope. Feathers/Crinoids...HELL no.

yep i agree, just wanted to say its possible and if they get hungry enough theyll prob eat whatever theyve got

also a good thing to take note for most starfish is the big NOT REEF SAFE post on many that are for sale

Archived