Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My hitch hiker crab with Pic

Acoustic

I just thought I would share my findings. I got a rock with some fuzzy shrooms on it today. I looked in a tiny hole and found a crab. Well I did some searching and here's what I think it is:

Mithrax Sculptus. Pretty harmless ones. Here's a pic:

SeaMountain

AAARRRRRGGGGGH!!! X)

Has EVERYONE got hitchikers except ME!?!?!

Today is the second day my 22 lbs of LR have been in the tank. I would THINK out of 22 lbs, SOMETHING would tap on the glass and smile back at me!

How long was your rock in the tank before you noticed your crab? Anything else come along?

Patience, Iago, patience.

The hitch hikers will come out. They've been jostled around so long while you got the tank up and running that they're not certain that the coast is clear yet.

On top of it, some would say that you're lucky for not running into hitch hikers. Lots of hitchers aren't exactly the type to smile back at you. Some of 'em will tap and then flip you the bird.

Later.

Sea Mountain, perhaps they are hiding from you. Try this out and see if you catch any life.

Stare at the tank for a few minutes. then, shout in frustration "dammit, there's nothing in my tank but rock and sand, I'm going to bed." Make sure you do this real loud so that the little critters can hear you. Being of a lesser intelligence, they will think you are leaving and get ready to come out and make fun of you. Get up to leave, take two or three steps and spin around real fast and you should catch them out in the open, probably wearing party hats and throwing confetti. Be careful not to knock the tank over on the spin as that would suck.

SeaMountain

This morning I tried walking past the tank backwards while holding my coffee. Thinking surely THIS would fool them! As they may think I was actually LEAVING the room.

Didn't work...

Then I tried going back by them later to get another cup of coffee while looking up and away from the tank. Thinking this would do it.

Didn't work...

On the way back into the living room with my coffee to watch the rest of Fox Friends, and get my morning briefing on the Baghdad happenings overnight, I again looked up and away.

But this time I JAMMED my pinkie toe into the furniture causing great pain and blinding lights. My first action was to release the cup of hot coffee and grab my throbbing toe. With that reflex action of dropping the hot cup of coffee, it too landed on my good foot expelling the contents across my bare foot.

Now I had a burnt foot, a busted toe and tears streaming from my eyes. Not too mention I was rolling on the floor in pain - right in front of the tank.

About this time I heard chuckling emanating from the tank, obvious sounds of "High Fiving" going on - and what I think might be a Pistol Shrimp from the quick clicking sounds too!

Crawling over to the tank, wincing with pain I tried to get a look after my eyes cleared up. But all was silent and still.... Nothing could be heard except the hum of the PH's. DAMN!

B)

I have a hitchhiker crab in my tank that is exactly the same. Actually I had two, but one died after it molted. The second molted too but is doing fine and even getting bigger. Another is in the substrate and is in the larval stage still. BTW Mithrax sculptus is the scientific name for the emerald crab.

SeaMountain, I feel your pain. I used to gaze longingly into my tank for signs of "life" on my rock and finally after three months decided that I was fed up with it. I purchased "live rock" from my LFS in early January that turned out to be crappy base rock with NO life on it except those microscopic bacteria dudes. Today I went to a marine aquarium store about 50 minutes from me and lo and behold they had some fiji rock from an established tank that they tore down for a client and I picked up 2 1/2 #'s of it. When we were pawing through it at the store I saw three worms and what I think is the arm of a bristle star. Got it home and plopped it into the tank and I've got 2 hitchiker snails; teeny ones, four miscellaneous anemones (hope they're not aiptasia although they don't look like it) and a few tiny red feather duster worms, I also saw some kind of red wormy looking thing a few minutes ago, but when I hit it with the flashlight it went back into it's hole. I got three small brown/green button polyps attached to one of the pieces. Too cool!!

Archived