Cultivated Reef

my dream system is almost a reality!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
seahorsejl

Yowsa! I finally found this thread and read through it. Simply fantastic tanks! I like the whole idea of the two tanks sharing the water and sump.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i love the fact i have an aquarium at eye level when i'm sitting on my couche or standing up.

also having over 60g of the system full of macro's (sump/horses) has gone along way in the way of water quality.

thanks for digging this up, it is time to update the thread. :)

seahorsejl
thanks for digging this up, it is time to update the thread. :)

No prob. I am just starting to do research for my next tank which will most likely be a seahorse tank. So what better way than to study those with successful tanks :)

• 1 month later...
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

why thank you very much!

unfortunatly i have to tear it down in the next week or so. we move into our first home on aug. 10th. i'm not looking forward to the move.

i love my aquascaping in the reef tank. most of my rockwork is covered in corals, and i know i'm gonna have a hard time recreating the aquascape. not to mention, moving the rock with out harming the corals will take alot of trips or tonnes of buckets. there a 100+lbs of rock in the reef alone. with so many attached corals, i wont be able to fill the buckets/stack the rock very high.

IMG_5869.jpg

i'm still unsure if i'm gonna put the system back up in the new place. i might change it out since i now have more room to work with.

i might purchase a custom 24x24x24, and put all 3 tanks side by side. the 24"tall will overflow into the 18" which inturn will overflow into the 12". i'm still on the fence. i love the system i have but it is packed to the rim with livestock. i'd love room to expand, its been along time since i've purchased something new for the aquarium.

btw to give you an idea of how well the system is doing, in the pic above i havent cleaned my glass in 3 months . i hate messin with a good thing. :(

vike50brian

Well good luck to you icy. You, with out a doubt, when my envy award. Hell of a reef you built. Hope to see some future pics once you decide on what to do.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
Well good luck to you icy. You, with out a doubt, when my envy award. Hell of a reef you built. Hope to see some future pics once you decide on what to do.
mighty kind of ya. thankyou.

one way or another, the new house is gonna have a kickass system. :):P:)

Hi icy! Glad you finally found a house!! Had some issues with my 12g and didn't want to add anything. Since started a new 24g. It will be ready for coral soon. Let me know when you have some frags you want to sell, I am still very interested!!!! No hurry, I know you have a lot going on. Good luck with the move. I hope your tanks fare well.

Cheers

Andrea

FLcracker94

nice tank!

you said you were moving on the 10th.

Whay is it everytime a person sets up a sweet new tank, they have to move? lol

Can I have it!!?!?!? lol jk

I like the tank.

noobwithatank

where abouts are you moving.. is there any chance you might sell some corals? or is everthing staying put. lol

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

moving again???? nope, this is a very long overdue move. :) i've been in the same rental for 7 years. we almost baught a house, but it fell through. (i backed out due to the electrical) since we purchased our first home. great little place less than a few miles away.(london ontario) i have the new house on the 10th, but we have the apartment till sept 1 so i'm not gonna rush the move.

at the new place i'm hoping to set up frag tank and add a ref to the system for pod production. right now most of my mysis,pods etc seem to end up in the sump. i'd like to have more overflow into my horse and reef tank. its the main reason i'm thinking 3 tanks side by side. (now i have alot more room.)

i am torn, cause i love the system also. a friends trying to convince me to sell the system to him and start from scratch at the new house. (i gotta tell ya its not sitting well with me. :) )

teardown time (anytime after the 19th, will be a great time to talk to me about fragg's :) )

this is a very, very nice setup and the whole thread was a great read! your very skilled and I love your tank.

I have a question though... You mentioned a figure of I think $7000 into this tank? Whats your back up if the power goes out? I would be a nervous wreck every day of my life since I get a couple of power outages a year that go all day or better.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

back up power supply? ha, ha, ha thats a good one. :)

i do have a couple battery powered pumps in the house but thats about it.

theres actually a post here about my horse tank being without movement for over 24 hours. i was doing a large waterchangeand shut down the horse tank. i totally forgot to turn it back on. (i have a tap on my return line for just such an event)

to make a long story short, the tank was without oxygen or water movement for over 24hours. i was quite surprized when i realized my mistake, that all my critters where still in excelent health.

after speaking with a few reefers i'm under the impression that a healthy system will last through the night if the power goes out, without problems.

i'm approching my 4th year with a salt aquarium in the house. so far so good. (figure i've had 20ish power outages in that time.)

I just read this entire thread and it was great to see your tanks come into fruition. I can't wait to see what you have in store for the house. Casacading tanks in a home.. I've seen em in stores, but never a home!!

Thats awesome! Great job!

back up power supply? ha, ha, ha thats a good one. :)

i do have a couple battery powered pumps in the house but thats about it.

theres actually a post here about my horse tank being without movement for over 24 hours. i was doing a large waterchangeand shut down the horse tank. i totally forgot to turn it back on. (i have a tap on my return line for just such an event)

to make a long story short, the tank was without oxygen or water movement for over 24hours. i was quite surprized when i realized my mistake, that all my critters where still in excelent health.

after speaking with a few reefers i'm under the impression that a healthy system will last through the night if the power goes out, without problems.

i'm approching my 4th year with a salt aquarium in the house. so far so good. (figure i've had 20ish power outages in that time.)

:eek:

i will never argue with your advice!

impressive............no wonder you dont have to have a real job...

now all you need is the touch screen control dilly ive seen and you will have a system that nasa would kill for

oh and thanks for the soap dish idea! :lol:

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

you guys are too kind. thanks.

save the eels, dont get me wrong, i bust my ass on a regular basis, i just dont have a career. today i'm finishing a roof top deck till noon then i have to go install a kitchen and 2 bathrooms. its just, i tire of things easily (which has never been the case with my aquarium).

when i have a good understanding of set project, i move on to the next.

my girl says i have e.a.d.d.- employment attention deficate disorder. :)

really, i'm just out to learn as much as possible.

i do alot of things ontop of my hobbies. i work for friends with thier own business. i install kitchens, pipe fitting,work with a top notch wood carver now and again, contracting,laying hardwoods and tile,work at both a print shop-camera ready art work/4 color seperation/platemaking, and do alot of design for a rubber stamp company. i have a few nation wide logos i've designed, do alot of custom painting/murals, small engines, help a friend build kevlar canoes, and the list go's on and on and on and on. then i have my hobbies. :) so even though i dont have a full time career i do have real jobs. :)

fiction, it is the perfect horse tank (im bias) alot of friends keep horses in much bigger tanks and i can never find em. the 24x24x18 is the perfect size, the horses can get lost for a day or too, but theres always at least one or two out in the open to look at.

the horses seem to love it and thier going strong. regular breeding intervals during the spring (and i'm hoping for the same this fall.)

this is by far my fav part of my setup, even though the girly friend calls it the ugly tank. (she doesn't like macro algae.)

Funny thing is, I was thinking about the same tank demensions for my next project. Please tell me how much each tank cost to custom make?

Archived