Cultivated Reef

my dream system is almost a reality!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i shop at 4 different lfs in the area. big als would be the one i shop at the least. in the last 2 years i've recieved $50 refund from my vip card.

ya get $25 everytime you spend $1000. i've spent almost $2500 in big als alone (all my aquariums themselves have been purchased through ba, including the new custom aquariums)

i figure with rock,equipment critter (all past and present) i figure i've dumped $5000-$7000 on my systems in the last 2 years.

i still have a little light leaking out of the aquarium, but its nothing i cant handle.

i wanted to make sure.....

a. no risk of injury-we have nephthews/family stop by all the time. alot of my friends also have youngen's. it doesnt matter where you are in the room, or how tall/short you are, its impossible to look right into the metal halide.

b. i didnt want to be blinded while watching the tube etc. :)

as you can see, the little light that leaks isnt an issue, even in a dark room.

IMG_3517.jpg

now the systems very close to finished, what will i ever do with my time :)

guess its time to sell the system and build a new one..........

.........i'm kidding, your gonna have to pry it away from my cold stiff fingers. :):P:)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

my grandfater gave that to me. its a tourist item but its pretty old (50years) only flew it once, been on the wall ever since.

did you know, boomerangs aren meant to come back? :) its a bladed weapon and its surposed to hit its target. :) they only come back if ya mess up.

Isn't there more than one style of boomerang? Some that return and some that don't?

That's cool. I have several items my grandparents gave me, sentimental value, and all on display somewhere in the house. :)

You ever watch Man vs. Wild? That guy is my hero! He practiced for a few minutes, throwing a stick at a stump, then crawled close enough to kill a rabbit, in a meadow, with the stick.

• 2 weeks later...
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

nope, cant say i have. i'll watch for it though. :)

so guess its time for the bi monthly update. :) and of course pic's.

its been a busy couple weeks for both myself and my aquariums.

i took my c.a.s.i. course (canadian assoc. of snowboard instructors) and i'm happy to say, i'm a level one instructor. also landed myself a part time job at the local resort. i cant believe i get paid to snowboard. :) up until now i'm usually the one paying to snowboard. :)

i've made a few trips to the gta (greater toronto area) to go shopping.

let me tell ya, toronto rocks for aquariums purchases. the lfs in the area make my local lfs's seem tiny and insignificant. :) dont get me wrong, i owe alot to my lfs's, but the gta has a fantastic selection of critters,fish and corals.

i was like a kid in a candy shop, and my aquariums show it. :)

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

i picked up a fantasic pair of purple firefish for $30 each. actually i almost missed out. i wanted the pair. we caught one, but the other disapeared. after moving the one rock out of the aquarium, inspecting all the holes in it with a flash light (small rock) and waiting 1/2 hour for the fish to emerge from its hiding place, i finally gave up and decided to get a pair of yashia gobies instead. no sonner did we release the first purple firefish, he swam up to the top corner of the aquarium and into a bulkhead.

the other was also hiding out. :) long story short, i'm sure they were very happy when i left after catching and releasing bothe the firefish and yashia's.

IMG_3727.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

i picked up some fantastic paly's and zoa's

IMG_3731.jpg

the pic's dont do these justice. there a metalic purple.

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3735.jpg

and of course the cuc.

IMG_3746.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

it just occured to me, i havent shown my fav. view of the aquarium at all.

its hard to take shots with the light on from this point of view. the pic's arent the greatest and i had to turn of the actinic's (first couple there on). i only ever snaps pics when the pumps are off, so the images are few and far between.

but here ya go. a rare look into my aquarium.

first the new happy couple.

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well unfortunatly its time to get rid of the banggai. thier getting large enough the males are starting to pick on one another.

catching them proved to be problematic. :) so the algae tank got an overhaul

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3833.jpg

i removed the first 2 today and sold the pair for $20. pretty cheap but the fish were free. i figured $20 made us both happy (me and the guy that got the fish.)

2 banggai down, 3 to go. :) (i'm keeping 2)

I think you tank is awsome. Its really beautiful

I really like your seahorse tank. That is my ulimate goal is to have horse tank. I have yet to start a nano tank, still in the research stage.

Cant wait to see more.

Lokel

Very nice icy. You've inspired me to use the money I've saved up to get some new corals :P Top down looks without the pumps on are my FAVORITE! My face seems to gravitate towards the water. Next thing you know the water is moving up my nose and saltwater gets in my eyes ;)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i can see the headlines now travis.

" boy found face down in his aquarium, police are asking the public for any info pertaining to the murder"

:):P:)

btw guys, thanks for the kind words.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i've never been to the georgia aquarium, but friends of mine told me it amazing!

my aquarium reminding you of such a facility has to be one of the coolest compliments yet.

and i appreciate it.

i started this project while my better 1/2 was out of town. she was alittle floored by the size of the system and alittle ###ed. :)

things have totally turned full circle though. with both aquariums in the dining room she's become alot more involved with the systems. i've been instructing snowboarding all week (10hours a day) and she stepped up and has been taking care of the aquariums. (feedings, top offs, cleaning the glass etc.)

• 2 weeks later...
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

thanks.

a couple recent pic's. this has to be one of the nicest gorg's i've ever seen in the hobby (next to the blueberry gorg's)

i was alittle worried about it. for a while it wasnt opening its polyps.

the last week or so its been in full bloom.

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

it has a few friends to help keep it clean.

IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

Archived