formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

my dream system is almost a reality!

Carinya

There is really something lovely about getting one's dream system up & running. Congrats & great job on the whole thing.

One Eyed Bunny

Congratulations, 'cause I rarely say this.

This is an absolutely stunning tank. You have every right to brag.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

thanks guys! its been along time in the making, but well worth it.

i'll post pic's in the morn of the horse tank for sure. the banggai are getting huge! (relatively speaking of course)

the horses dominate the aquarium and are like a pack of wild dogs!

Edited by formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

Carinya

Is that yellow thing in the horse tank a gorg? Maybe I've been living a sheltered life but I've never seen one with that coloring. Do you know the species or could you say where you got it? Because the polyps are orange/red, I am guessing it is photosynthetic...is this correct? Would you ever be willing to frag it? *smiles sweetly*

Carinya

Sorry. :( Do you think it died b/c of nutrition? It was really striking (sorry again to rub it in) and I'm wondering if I got one, how hard was it to care for? TIA.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

no worries i was just messin with ya.

all the fraggs are doing well so i dont know what to think.

it is listed as a difficult coral, but i think this is primarily to do with feeding and algae control.

mine never had algae and i've always catered to the filter feeders in my aquarium (photo,oystereggs,ultra clam and gorgonian foods etc etc)

it was in a low light aquarium (dual 110pc 9375k elevated 10" above 18" aquarium)

could have been the system change, might have been disease. you will have to cater to it, but it would be very rewarding if successful.

believe it or not, they are a very common deep water coral. if you can find one for the right price, i say go for it. i'm gonna have big als order another.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

as promised (excuse the cloudy water, i feed shortly after the lights come on)

everybodies out at dinner time which makes for better pic's imo :)

IMG_3274.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

the banggia are growing in leaps and bounds.

IMG_3309.jpg

the clones i cut for curtis seem to holding strong, but as you can see from the pic's above, the rest is just a hitching post. :(

IMG_3303.jpg

i'd like to add a few more red algaes to the system. (have my lfs's working on it) i'd def like to replace the orange tree gorgonian.

freak, if theres something you'd like to see in greater detail, just let me know.

its official, my girlfriend no longer thinks the macro tank is "ugly"

personal i'd like to think its because she has a better understanding of the requirements and natural enviroments the horses live in.

but i imagen it cause her horses are always easily seen. :) end of story.

btw (she only thinks they are her horses. :) we all know better.

Fishfreak218

The tank looks REALLY good. thank you very much for the pictures...

That large red leafy macro in the 2nd picture is amazing... have you gotten an ID on it? Also good job on the Bangaii Cardinals, they look amazing!

Great Job.. i love this tank

So what is in there exactly??

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

the algaes are listed on one of the previous pages, but as far as critters go, its packed beyond belief.

my 47g macro aquarium houses

3 saron shrimp

1 rock cleaner shrimp

1 tiger pistol shrimp

4 kuda horses (one female,3 males-luck of the draw, bought them when they were very small)

1 multibanded pipe

1 aligator pipe

1scooter blenny

1 small by-color angel (which i'm still trying to find a home for)

7 banggia (still babies)

and an assortment of snails and hermits.

i think thats everything. :)

travisurfer

tank is still amazing!

Sea Slug

Icy , Great looking system , I noticed you asked for a macro link and I didn't see anyone post one . here is a good one , but I'm not sure he ships to Canada and I think thats where you said you lived . anyway here it is www.marineflora.com

HTH

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

thanks slug. i'd love to get some of this

http://www.marineflora.com/index.php?main_...914a4c3e968ab0f

sent em an email to see if they would ship to canada. hoping they do.

if they dont, i might have to try and talk one of my state side friends to place the order for me. could prove to be expensize, but wow, would that look cool in the horse system.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

the new pendant is almost finished (yet to install my actinic's) and i'm quite pleased with the results. i still need to hide the black plastic on the aquarium with a small wood trim.

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

my main concern (apart from the orig canopy looking top heavy) was to make sure i'm not blinded by the light while sitting on my sofa.

IMG_3368.jpg

it looks a 1000x nicer that the old top heavy canopy. (or at least i think so. :)

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

my neighbour gave me the bar stools. :) the perfect height for spending a few hours infront of my little ocean.

• Like 1

reefpeace

Leigh, that canopy looks so much better! I see what you mean about the light leaking though. Looking forward to seeing your solution to that.

I hope you are ale to get some of that cool lookin 'Caulerpa Pasploides'.

clifford513
my neighbour gave me the bar stools. :) the perfect height for spending a few hours infront of my little ocean.

Can't beat good neighbors :happy: Like the new pendant you made. Tank looks great, as usual. B)

Izzue

Icy

Sry bout the gorg...I lost all my Yellow and Red within 6 Months

I reseached had a great feeding plain etc...I ll try with a much larger tank

someday.

The Pendent looks awesome...nice work.

I read another thread about your Tunze issue...did it fry your original light???

Izzue

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

thanks guys.

the gorg is confusing me, it seems odd the mother died and the clones lived, not to mention all my other gorg's are doing just fine.

as for the light, totally screwed! it seems the bulb has welded itself into the socket. (got water right inside) there were sparks, so im not sure if the arch welded the bulb inplace or its just alot of corroded metal from the salt water. either way, i probably would have had to break the bulb to get it out. (i could hear the glass chipping as i reefed on the light.)still didnt get it to budge though.

i wasnt going to take any chances so i purchased a used 175 from a friend here intown.

i dont know if the ballast is working, but again i'm not willing to risk burning down the apartment.

Sea Slug

Icy , Your welcome and your new pendent looks great , Marineflora has excelent macro and hopefully you can get it shipped to Canada .

itzme
thanks guys.

the gorg is confusing me, it seems odd the mother died and the clones lived, not to mention all my other gorg's are doing just fine.

as for the light, totally screwed! it seems the bulb has welded itself into the socket. (got water right inside) there were sparks, so im not sure if the arch welded the bulb inplace or its just alot of corroded metal from the salt water. either way, i probably would have had to break the bulb to get it out. (i could hear the glass chipping as i reefed on the light.)still didnt get it to budge though.

i wasnt going to take any chances so i purchased a used 175 from a friend here intown.

i dont know if the ballast is working, but again i'm not willing to risk burning down the apartment.

well i guess you answered my question before i asked. i was gonna ask if you had any troubles having the light so close but i guess you did. i was wondering if you had trouble with evaporation getting the socket wet but i guess from your post you did. so i better not move mine any closer. i have mine at 8 inches but wanted it closer so i was hoping yours worked out so id feal safe moving it down but i remeber reading a post a long time ago about someone having a halide to close and the same thing happened to them. the set up is looking great though.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

actually the socket got wet cause my powerhead braket (nanostream) broke. the round shape of the powerhead cause it to shoot water up and out of the tank, after it rolled between my lr and glass.

other than the major malfunction, having the light real close to the water (5") hasn't been a problem. once in a while i have to remove a very fine film of salt creep(bulb looks alittle hazy-not actual creep). its a cheap 175 and has low a low par rating (just under 300) the critters in the aquarium have responded well with the light very close to the water surface.

up here in canada, the winters are very very dry. i also have baseboard heaters (boiler) that doesn't help the cause. the system has 10square feet of surface area so evaporation is crazy. (2-3g's a day)

even with this crazy amount of evaporation the bulb stays clean/dry. i imagen my fan has alot to do with it. the fan sucks air from outside the pendant and blows across the bulb forcing warm air away from the bulb. with constant airflow over the bulb, most of the evaporating water if also blown away from the bulb

itzme

ok i didnt understand what really happened. yea to me 5 inches would seem ok. well hopefully everything else will go good from here on. theres always problems in the beginning. well atleast for me there is lol.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well i finally got off my lazy butt and picked up some trim for the aquarium. unfortunatly i couldn't find anything i liked that completly covered the black plastic trim. the trim is 4 seperate pieces that can be easily removed from my custom aquarium. i'd planned on removing each piece and cutting down the trim 1/4" so the wood trim hides it totally.

now i have the trim inplace, the small exposed area of plastic doesn't look that bad at all. i'm still undesided. i might cut the black trim, i might not. well see what happens.

IMG_3483.jpg

i couldn't be happier with the new look. the trim was just what the aquarium needed to finish the project.

its a night and day difference with the pendant. the systems no longer top heavy. (which was driving me crazy)

theres no choice in my mind, but what do you guys think?

before....

IMG_2058.jpg

or after....

IMG_3488.jpg

• Like 1

KOFP

those corals and livestock must have been quite the investment...

reefpeace

Nice lookin' Icy - a definite improvement. Since you were trying to stop all the light from bleeding out, does that small gap that's still there bother you, or does the angle from the couch coupled with the added trim height take care of that?