Innovative Marine Aquariums

my dream system is almost a reality!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

the 2x4 select pine boards(vertical) are 4' long. the entire stand with canopy and the base i've yet to build (just like the 2x4 select pine frame around the top tank) will top out at approx 6' :)

select pine- didnt want ya thinkin i cheaped out and used framing grade 2x4's :) lol

Quick Q on the output pipe...what is the reason for it angling up? I realize it is glued now, but could it have gone straight out perpendicular and then the larger union fitting could have been used without being so intrusive?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

there is alittle method to my madness :)

water follows the least path of resistance. if i leveled out the fittings,most of the water would flood out the rear outlets. by raising them up on an angle. the entire manifold will fill up before the water finds its way to the outlets. this should help equalize the presure between the 4 nozzles, the valves will be the final fine tune. once the canpoy is finished,this will all be hidden.

i'm just being picky. :) this is my dream system afterall :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

this one has been 15 years in the making :) the very first salt water book i owned had a 2x2x2' tank used as a coffee table.

ever since, i've always wanted a 2x2' aquarium.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

actually clifford, its alot easier than i expected. drill a guide to prevent the drill from shifting/changing the angle of attack (even so i didnt have my drill perfectly striaght the entire time) clamp the glass to give it alittle extra support (with your 2x4 guides)keep the project wet, and drill slow. within 20min's you should have a hole :)

i might add, my hole saw was off balance (mean wobble) and i still managed not to break/chip the glass.

as for my perplexing question, the answer seems to be

IMG_1778.jpg

24 hours to cure, 100% water proof. :)

ya want more pic's?, here ya go

the hardware i picked out for the project.

large handle for the canopy,large frogs for the removeable panels to the sump, and the small frogs for the access to the horse/macro tank.

IMG_1784.jpg

i'm considering adding some venner inlays to the aquarium stand. something similar to the veneers on the coffee table i did for my girlfriend. (but not near as tacky :) ) it was what she wanted.

IMG_1793.jpg

its pretty easy, i remove a thin layer of wood with my dremel/hole saw attachment and carbide burs/drums, then fill in the voids with veneer cut with an exacto.

i just so happen to have a large pizza box packed full of tropical veneers. just have come up with a design i'm totall happy with

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

to my surprize, while digging through my aquarium stuff, i found some extra loc line i didnt know i had. i had enough to complete 2 of the outlets and glue the first pieces on the other 2 cpvc t's/outlets.

the lepages polyurethane adhesive is holding rock solid. its been 6 hours, and i was able to snap the extra loc line to the glued modual (which takes some force) and the glue joint didnt budge.

IMG_1798.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

not alot to add to the build log.

i picked up acrylic for my overflow. and a perfecto 15g long for a temp sump (gonna be another 2 weeks for my custom sump)

i'm picky so i always tape around the area i'm sealing. when i'm done laying the bead of sylicone, i wet my finger to smooth it out, and remove the tape right away.

IMG_1831_2.jpg

nice! bg just called, my horse tank has arrived. i'm outta here!

WOW!!! I havent checked this forum in awhile. That tank is looking amazing! I cant believe you went with black though. Its looking awesome. My dream tank wont be up for a very long time ;)

mybuickskill6979
spent the day making purchases and working on the aquarium. i didnt get it finished but i'm close :) (or as close as i can be until the second tank and sump arrive.)

picked up a mag 9.5 (my lfs said i could return it if it was too small),bulkhead,hole saw (care of my lfs) and a few other odds and ends.

first order of business, drilling the aquarium. i've never actually drilled an aquarium before so i was alittle nervous.

drilled a hole into the a 2x4 scrape to match the hole saw clamped it and a second piece of 2x4 to either side of the aquarium.

IMG_1721.jpg

the 2x4 actually holds water quite well (keeping the saw cool is key!)

IMG_1722.jpg

i took my time, went slow and kept the project wet. things went of without a hitch. :)

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

i didnt get the stand quite finished. i still have to frame the very bottom ( to mimic the large rail around the top aquarium) and mount one more door (missing panel)

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1735_2.jpg

the panel swings open to allow me to access the bottom aquarium. ( the sump below will be done the same, but open to the side.) once i get the canopy constructed, the stand/canopy should hid all the black plastic trim. i'm hoping the end result will look like one tall aquarium.

one thing. i would most definitely reinforce theglass around the bulk head here!!!

other then that. it looks amazing!!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well i'm still waiting on lock line, and some specialty plumbing items, so i really havent done much to the system.

i did pick up my 2nd aquarium and a 15g for a sump. finished the framing and drilled the second aquarium. for some reason i thought i could get all this finished in a couple days. i musta been smoking crack. :P at this rate i'll be lucky to get it finished before my girlfriend returns from mexico on fri.

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

Can I steal your idea? You have sparked a little bit of an idea. I might just have to run with this. But it will be sometime after March.

mybuickskill6979
what do you suggest? plexi glass plate?

a piece of at least 1/8 inch glass, 4x4 WxT, with a hole right in the middle. it will help forgo any possible stress cracks when you have the system plumbed. ;) still none the less an awesome tank so far!! :lol:

Archived