Coral Vue Hydros

Robster's BC29

Robster

Robster, you're da man! Great video! That is a good repersentation of the kind of flow I'm getting. I did notice you have your nanostream mounted lower than I do. I have mine just a little lower than the stock output on the other side. I angled mine so that it points to the side of the tank, thinking this might slow down the flow somewhat. Right now I have it unplugged, but still in the tank. My main pump is a maxijet 1200 with the hydorflo attachment. I may do what TEALCOBRA suggested, and remove the hydorflo and put the regular outlet back on.

IMO, the 2 pumps running together creates too much turbulence, at least probably for what I need. Just not sure if the corals I have benefit form the higher output or not. :huh:

Basser-

There is a little "hot spot" directly infront of the Tunze, I'm thinking that strategic rock placement could create another diffuser (though I think downward diffusion would be detrimental to the substrate, and make it blow around) I would say that the flow and turbulance couldn't be any more than the currents of Cozumel... that was strong current drift diving, all you had to do was regulate your depth, and the current swept you along. I think part of the key is to make some areas closer to the rock face that isn't sweeping. I'll have to play more with it once I can get LR LS in the tank (I'm planning on epoxy between all the rocks for added stability)

cheers

-R

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had problems with my oolitic sand and just my Rio 6HF and the hydorflo blowing it all over... my tank looked like a snowglobe. That stuff had to go and I got a larger grained substrate... havent had any problems since...

Hey Rob, I did that with my rocks, only thing I did was that I drilled out the rock and epoxied acrylic rods in them.... this way the entire rock structure can come apart if I ever had to but its like a brick wall in there and wouldnt move even with a crazy fish swimming in there...

I have some spare acrylic rods and if youd like them you can PM me your address and I can ship a few of the rods out to you so you can do the same thing...

Thanks Robster- It definately helps having people try different methods of flow.Seeing it in action is a bonus. Do you think it would be too much for oolitic sand? Did you mount it with the magnet? Also, does that create more flow through the vents or take away?

Not sure what oolitic sand is?? I've picked up some fiji pink fine grain (hope I don't make a sand storm). Yes, the magnet mount comes standard in the box (it is really powerful, so when applying to the glass you want to set both sides flush to the glass apart from eachother, then slide them together... I was a little nervous that if I didn't do it carefully that it would shatter the glass, as I let the two pieces of magnet stick together without anything in between (cept almost my finger), then I read the distructions and it said don't do that....felt a little stupid, barely got the two halves apart :eek:

I toyed with the concept of slipping it behind chamber 1, however it forced the overall tank level up, and it didn't seem prudent. especially as the flow from the Rio creates a significant draw from the surface inlets on chamb. 1, so I plan to shut down main pump during feeding so the little stuff on the surface doesn't get sucked into the filtering before the little fellas get to chow. then by keeping the tunze out front, I can keep that one running doing circ. especially beneficial when dropping in marine snow etc...(at least that's my theory).

The effect on the inlet vents didn't seem to be effected I did not notice any increase/decrease in overall tank level from having the main Rio on, then kick'in on the tunze. I think that if it was pulling away from the vents, that the overall tank level would drop, but I have no way to fully confirm that.

-R

I had problems with my oolitic sand and just my Rio 6HF and the hydorflo blowing it all over... my tank looked like a snowglobe. That stuff had to go and I got a larger grained substrate... havent had any problems since...

Hey Rob, I did that with my rocks, only thing I did was that I drilled out the rock and epoxied acrylic rods in them.... this way the entire rock structure can come apart if I ever had to but its like a brick wall in there and wouldnt move even with a crazy fish swimming in there...

I have some spare acrylic rods and if youd like them you can PM me your address and I can ship a few of the rods out to you so you can do the same thing...

SWEET!!! I saw your pics on the drilling...looked like a brilliant idea. do you think the live rock will drill as easy?? What kind and size grain sand did you change to??

I would assume so... the rock I drilled out was still fiji rock, just not "live" anymore. I used a dremel tool with the drum grinder bit on the end... (not the sandpaper one, but the stone one...) and it went through it like butter actually... then I blended a little epoxy, and VIOLA, rock on a stick. :D

I went with a Fiji Pink sand over the top of a thin layer of oolitic... I bought the oolitic originally because it was live and I didnt want to lose too many of the beneficial oorganisms, so I left a thin layer of it in the tank then went over the top with some larger stuff.

Heres a link to the sand I bought...

Flamingo Pink Sand

And heres a link to oolitic sand.... it is REALLY fine...

Oolitic Sand

What do you think about if we could find a way to make this work....

Nanostream rock

I wonder if getting the thing low in the tank and aiming it up towards the surface in an opposite corner would make the flow a little less extreme and we all know how good it is to have flow break the surface of your water.... HMMM......

Might have to do some rock work with one of those bad boys.... :D

That doesn't sound encouraging... That Fiji Pink I picked up is really fine too. maybe I should pick up a snowman and santa so my snowglobe effect will be complete :angry: I guess I could put it down and see then if santa's com'in to town, add a little coarse grain on top??!! That shouldn't be too hard, no?

-R

I wonder if getting the thing low in the tank and aiming it up towards the surface in an opposite corner would make the flow a little less extreme and we all know how good it is to have flow break the surface of your water.... HMMM......

Might have to do some rock work with one of those bad boys.... :D

I thought about that too a little bit, my first thought was it might turn into a "snow blower" like what they do up at the ski resorts here...but that would be a really great thing to see... I'm also considering some kind of something that would make kind of a "V" diffuser in front of it to split the current in two directions vs. just one..

My progress is going to slow quickly....out of town as of tomorrow, then back for a week or two then gone another 2 weeks...sigh -_- guess it'll be 07 before I get to the good stuff.

I just posted in a different thread that Roger from Tunze said that if he needed to slow down the flow he would just take the stream out of the tank and use some black aquarium silicone to cover up one or two of the intake slots and see how much it slows down and possibly plug up a few more, although not too many as that would be bad for the unit....

I just posted in a different thread that Roger from Tunze said that if he needed to slow down the flow he would just take the stream out of the tank and use some black aquarium silicone to cover up one or two of the intake slots and see how much it slows down and possibly plug up a few more, although not too many as that would be bad for the unit....

Teal- Great info....I guess that means you found you credit card???!! :D

Guys, I just got my PAIR of 6025's .... am I crazy to think I could stuff them in my tank? Thinking one upper left, and one lower right (below the return). Mistake??

Guys, I just got my PAIR of 6025's .... am I crazy to think I could stuff them in my tank? Thinking one upper left, and one lower right (below the return). Mistake??

you have the bc 29? Isn't that like 1200 gallons per hour?

PaulnSimon, that's pushing your entire tank (21 gals) 60 times in an hour, or one time per minute.

Please change the name of your thread to "PnS's BC29 Power Flusher" or " The study of Catagory 5 Hurricane forces below the water's surface." :D

How big a tank???!!

-R

It looks like a 24G nanocube in his picutres... he has a pic of the one in there, but couldnt get the second in there because it didnt have the shock absorbers... I dont know how he has that thing in there without it kicking sand up.... maybe im just crazy. :)

It looks like a 24G nanocube in his picutres... he has a pic of the one in there, but couldnt get the second in there because it didnt have the shock absorbers... I dont know how he has that thing in there without it kicking sand up.... maybe im just crazy. :)

I don't think my toilet has the swirling capability that PaulnSimon will achieve!!! :lol: maybe pointed opposing one another might reduce it, however you'll be looking at turning over every gallon in the tank about 1.37 to 1.6 times per minute depending on rock/sand and main pump!!!!!! Though seriously it is a little bit less turnover than my toilet....I can't imagine that much gph working well.

cheers

-R

Hi Guys!

Yah, I've still got just the ONE 6025 in there for now, as the little bumper things were missing from the box of the second. I'm starting to think that just the one is plenty of flow, and that two could be a bit much. EZCOMPANY has a pair going, which led me to believe I could do the same.

The one seems just fine, except for a very unhappy xenia that is in the unavoidable jetwash. I'm not sure if there would be an added benefit of the second one. Thoughts??

Right now I am having trouble with quie a bit of micro debris floating around. It's kind of passing through the thing and getting chopped up. Not sure if this is good for my water quality, having a pesto sauce of macro algae in there now????

How can I get the junk out of my water so this looks a little nicer? I dont have any fish yet that will eat anything.....help :)

Thanks,

Paul

ps -- the nanostreams are 2,500 l/h and my eheim return is 1,000 l/h. My tank is ~80 liters, so that is 1.25 times per minute. How much is too much??? What are the guidelines?

Hi Guys!

Yah, I've still got just the ONE 6025 in there for now, as the little bumper things were missing from the box of the second. I'm starting to think that just the one is plenty of flow, and that two could be a bit much. EZCOMPANY has a pair going, which led me to believe I could do the same.

The one seems just fine, except for a very unhappy xenia that is in the unavoidable jetwash. I'm not sure if there would be an added benefit of the second one. Thoughts??

Right now I am having trouble with quie a bit of micro debris floating around. It's kind of passing through the thing and getting chopped up. Not sure if this is good for my water quality, having a pesto sauce of macro algae in there now????

How can I get the junk out of my water so this looks a little nicer? I dont have any fish yet that will eat anything.....help :)

Thanks,

Paul

ps -- the nanostreams are 2,500 l/h and my eheim return is 1,000 l/h. My tank is ~80 liters, so that is 1.25 times per minute. How much is too much??? What are the guidelines?

Do you use any carbon? Sounds like more flow would be counterprodutive for you. I think too much flow limits the ability of the junk being filtered.

Nope, no carbon used. Possibly a convincing argument for too much flow! Most of the flow is display only -- i'd imagine everthing "behind the wall" still only gets pushed at 1,000 lph. Thoughs??

Nope, no carbon used. Possibly a convincing argument for too much flow! Most of the flow is display only -- i'd imagine everthing "behind the wall" still only gets pushed at 1,000 lph. Thoughs??

Yes, my tests showed the force of the tunze only effected the display area and did not effect the tank level like when turning on the main pump. I found an old piece of coral or somethin in LFS small pieces bin. initial testing shows promising with it set somewhat infront of the tunze output. the curves of the piece are such that it seems to "fold" the current back on top of itself which is seeming to cut down the "jet-wash" and give a more gentle flow (that being also buffered by the main pump also in opposing flow direction).

the diffuser tests are showing me that cutting down on the downward flow of the unit seems to make less disruption to the floor I'll have to see once the sand is in, but the little pieces of stuff I had on the bottom stopped bouncing around as much, but still having nice current effecting all levels of the tank.

cheers

-R

And the work goes on.....

Finished testing flows with the Tunze nanostream, I think I'm content with the solution. drained the tank and on to more mods :D

Cut the openning from chamber 1 to chamber 2 for increased flow...(thanks Tealcobra...) so that part is set.

next, fuge light. I got the idea for this little light from someone here....forgot who, sorry....anyway picked it up at lowes for $10, then for housing....saw a nice little ABS cap in the plumbing section 3" or 4" I don't remember, but just a little bit bigger than the light itself.

It was a little deep, so i shaved off about 5/8"; then dilled a hole corresponding to the power plug-in, added a few more holes around the perimeter, and a 1 1/2" hole in the back of it for cooling. ended up with small package (already black) to stick off the back of the tank (with velcro i'm sure)

post-23011-1164784374_thumb.jpg

Still working on the electricity/power section etc... here's a little sneak peak ;) :

post-23011-1164784363_thumb.jpg

Cheers

-R

Very nice Rob... are you going to be mounting all the controls inside like a small electrical panel or something ???

Yep! its sittin in it. I couldn't bring myself to pay $$$$ for a large J-box they were talkin something like $60!! so I picked up a sheet of metal from the duct work section at HD....made some marks and cuts and bends....not the best looking, I don't have any bending equip.....but who needs clean lines???

The biggest challenge was the ballasts are about 18" long. Kind of a pain, but they are awesome ballasts! a few relay circuits and automation will add some fun :D

-R

Looking good. :)

thanks ;)

not sure how much I'll get done in the next couple weeks, looks like I'm gona have to wait til after Christmas to get rock sand water...well something to look forward to

-R

Ok, so the problem with a tank sitting there dry is...thoughts pop into the head :rolleyes:

That Tunze hanging off the side of the right wall looking like a sore thumb...electrical cord sagging looking out of place, and since the rest of the mods are having a really clean almost original look, I decided to take the plunge!!

Previous experiments revealed that more intake vents would be required leading into chamber 1 to allow for the tunze be be tucked away. The next issue being that the height I need the tunze to be is right where the existing lower vents are. so the usual suspects.....speed square, wood block, dremel guide, 1/8" flat bottom cutting bit, and some patients...

set up looked a bit like this:

post-23011-1165109507_thumb.jpg

and the end result:

post-23011-1165109526_thumb.jpg

Got the hole just right, leaving a little up angle with a little aiming toward the other side of the tank!! (Newtank you blushing yet??? :lol:..Just kidding...just trying to keep up with your aspirations!) Still need a little filing on the edges... I could hardly see as I was working so the lines kinda "walked" out a bit :angry:

I'm thinking I may have to lower the connection from chmbr1 to 2 by just a little bit to help compensate for the additional flow being sucked back into the display tank. I figure feeding can still work, only have to wait a minute until the chmbr 2 & 3 reach stable height, then no more water will flow into the filtration area and presto great circulation for feeding etc...

Still working on electrical section....it is so sloooowww going, but it'll be great once its done.

Cheers

-R

Archived