Pod Your Reef

My new 20L ...

jtown

I know I've been posting about this bad boy for a while now.  I should have been posting pics etc. here and not the general discussion.  Anyway, here are the specs:

~ 30 lbs. sand

~ 32 lbs. LR(13 LFS & 19 Marinedeopt.com)

2 x 55W PC from hellolights (03 Actinic & 10k Daylight)

75W Ebo

2 clowns

3 scarlet hermits

6 nass. snails

1 margarita

1 cerith

1 emerald crab

I have to order some more snails on monday.  I just did the move today.  All of this was originally in a 10G, but I loved 20L's so much better.  I'm currently working on my hood, but I need some more time.  Right now, I have a glass top with about a 1 inch space for air exchange.

Lemme know what you think.

20L10.jpg

20L11.jpg

20L12.jpg

20L13.jpg

20L14.jpg

20L15.jpg

quiksilver5768

I got a suggestion....I used to have a 20 long myself (leaked :( ) and I satrted off the same way as your basically. 2 Powerheads etc...As i started to add fish, corals and other stuff...bio load was too much for just the LR to handle. By the way i had about 35 -40 lbs. I suggest you get another type of filteration on the tank. I would make a sump out of your old 10 and maybe add some type of HOB filter. It would actually be better for your tank since its still a nano if you attached your 10 as a sump and got a small HOB bilter or soemthin than getting a skimmer. You also might want the HOB filter for a little more circulation and surface agitation. Nice tank thought! I like the open middle area set up you have. When it fully grows and develops ith corals maybe it will look like a miniature version of last months RC Tank of the Month :)

NanoReefer53
Quote: from quiksilver5768 on 8:43 am on April 28, 2002[br]When it fully grows and develops ith corals maybe it will look like a miniature version of last months RC Tank of the Month :)

Now that was a great tank and only 1 year old too.

hey dude, nice tank.  very clean.  i have a 20g long myself and i love it.  i currently have a skilter400 w/ skimmer and no carbon, and have had no probs.  my tank thrives thus far.  it's 9 months old with this set up.  i thought of setting up a 10g sump for it but am going to leave this one alone and do the sump idea with a 40g long.  i got some pics posted of my tank in another thread.  by the way, what are you using for circulation?  i use 2 maxijet 1200s along with the skilter and all my corals are growing like weeds.  how long has your tank been set up?

Quote: from byrself on 9:46 am on May 7, 2002[br]hey dude, nice tank.  very clean.  i have a 20g long myself and i love it.  i currently have a skilter400 w/ skimmer and no carbon, and have had no probs.  my tank thrives thus far.  it's 9 months old with this set up.  i thought of setting up a 10g sump for it but am going to leave this one alone and do the sump idea with a 40g long.  i got some pics posted of my tank in another thread.  by the way, what are you using for circulation?  i use 2 maxijet 1200s along with the skilter and all my corals are growing like weeds.  how long has your tank been set up?

it's only been set up about 3 weeks now I think.  I recently added a green open brain, a torch and some shrooms .... lemme find the pics.

20L16.jpg

20L17.jpg

20L18.jpg

20L19.jpg

20L20.jpg

20L21.jpg

I just got my aquaclear 150 in so I'm running that with just the filter and a minijet 404 which I think I'll replace with a 606 that I have or maybe even just throw it in with everything.

(Edited by jtown at 11:13 am on May 7, 2002)

i say throw it all in there.  you can't have too much current imo.  especially near the surface.  i really like the brain coral.  want one for mine but all the ones at lfs suck.  are losing tissue and stuff.  also wasn't sure of their lighting needs.  do they need extreme lighting?  i got 220w of pcs.  think that's enough?  the torch is cool too.  i almost bought a plate coral that looked alot like that.  almost like an anemone.  had one of those for a week before he met with my powerhead = (death) =)

Quote: from byrself on 12:17 pm on May 7, 2002[br]i say throw it all in there.  you can't have too much current imo.  especially near the surface.  i really like the brain coral.  want one for mine but all the ones at lfs suck.  are losing tissue and stuff.  also wasn't sure of their lighting needs.  do they need extreme lighting?  i got 220w of pcs.  think that's enough?  the torch is cool too.  i almost bought a plate coral that looked alot like that.  almost like an anemone.  had one of those for a week before he met with my powerhead = (death) =)

ya, I need a little more surface movement.  I ordered those guys from www.marinedepot.com ... I was worried about how they would look, but they turned out great.

woah, you mail ordered those?  how much did it cost you total?  they do look good, esp. for mail order.  

Kapelakin

The green open brains don't require extreme lighting.  They'll take meaty foods and are fairly hardy for a stony coral.  220 watts over a 20 gal. is more than ample.  Your tank must glow from a block down the street! :biggrin:

Quote: from byrself on 4:24 pm on May 7, 2002[br]woah, you mail ordered those?  how much did it cost you total?  they do look good, esp. for mail order.  

Shipping was about 35 for 12 snails, 1 open brain, some blue mushrooms and the torch.  all together it was like 120 something.  kinda expensive now that I think about it.  I'm going to try and get frags from now on, but these two are hard frags to come by.

FamousGuy

Jtown-what was the total cost of the 19 pounds from marinedepot?  Shipping?  Is that marshall rock?  The reason i ask is that i'm kind of near them, im gonna be buying rock from them probably

Quote: from FamousGuy on 3:03 am on May 8, 2002[br]Jtown-what was the total cost of the 19 pounds from marinedepot?  Shipping?  Is that marshall rock?  The reason i ask is that i'm kind of near them, im gonna be buying rock from them probably

oh, I got the rock separately.  I had about 15lbs from my old 10 and I split a 43 lb order with my friend who also has a 20.  The rock was premium live fiji and it's kind of hard to point out the pieces, but 3 pieces are from my old tank and the rest is new.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote: from Fant on 7:35 pm on May 17, 2002[br]That torch looks bleached to me, you should try feeding it small pieces of squid or clam a few times a week.

that's the way it came .... I thought it was normal.  hmm.

thanks for the replies guys.  I'm going slow on the corals.  Hope to get some frags, but I need to get some for cheap or trade (although I have nothing to trade).

I wanted to do something different than a bunch of rocks in the center or piled up along the back, so I thought of two hill like setups.  I wish it was twice as long though. =)

Archived