Cultivated Reef

2.5 gallon - 4th months old and I think it is complete! (for a week at least)

LiQuiD

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2D_Todd: Thanx.

Crakeur: Thanx man, the astrea snail still has a fro of hair on its shell if that counts.

The Unit: Thanx, The gorg is nice, so far so good. I dose phyto frequently as is and the better part is they like to eat detritus so since I am a clean sand freak who is always stirring up the sand, when the detritus hits the water column it is actually helping to feed the gorg.

OK, I turned on the light and snapped a shot of the Chili while it was open as promised. It stays this way for a while after the lights first go on but eventually closes up usually within an hour or so.

Looking real good! Man that ricordia looks huge in there! Its like a massive heteractis magnifica anemone on a reef!

BTW be VERY careful with the liquid life! Its super concentrated and since its already dead what ever is not used by the corals (which isnt much) will quickly begin to break down. Can you say CYANO! Ive had some VERY bad cyano blooms in the past with the stuff and that was a 55g. I would recommend staying with the DT's since it hasent given you any problems, just a suggestion.

Anyway love the tank!

little off-the subject question, liquid....

the lid on your hood?? did u use some type of pic frame moulding of something of that nature around the 3 edges?

That looks really sweet - always build my own hoods -- mind if i copy????

The Unit: No Prob.

DeskJockey: Thanx. I will heed your warnings on the BioPlankton. I have just heard some really good things about it as to how much better it was (micron size and the concentrations). Oh well, I may still buy a bottle of it but will keep a watchful eye on what I'm doing.

Satchmo: Thanx. Will do, I have some bigger colonies of some other stuff in the bigger tanks. Don't know if you needed any Caulerpa, I just gave away a few pounds of it, it was the feather type, red and green mix. Anyway, we will all be getting together one of these days, too bad no one could have made it to the Eric Boreman thing in Brooklyn. There will be a time soon.

Donna: Thanx. Corals come from many place although for this ity bity glass of water, most are fraged from my bigger tanks. I love all non-photosynthetics, they have the best colors, just harder to take care of.

triggerfinger: The molding came from the molding strips in Home Depot, as well as the wood for the rest, 12 dollars total I think it was for the hood and stand. The molding was I think 39 cents per foot and it took like 6 feet of the molding for the hood and the base. Copy away. If you need any close ups, let me know.

2 of the crew (peppermint shrimp and scarlet legged hermit) I have never been ever to get a clear shot of this shrimp. This has to be the best one I have ever got. The funny thing is I was just trying to get a pic of the hermit sleeping with his legs dangeling and the shrimp just jumped into the shot.

printerdown01

I'm with Jebus! I have a 12 if you ever get board :P . You have a KILLER tank!! It is absolutely beautiful! Love the Dandros! The whole set-up is just awesome. I have been trying to set-up a smaller tank (5 gal), and seeing your unbelieveable 2.5 makes me want to start today. Thanks for sharing!

what a truely gorgeous tank !!!

a great mix of corals there too, superb.

cheers

lee

:) :) :) :)

I second the recommendation for TotM

Kudos Liquid - that is just stunning, both in appearance, and in contrast to the sizes of your computer monitor and the Coke can.

I've seen overflow boxes bigger than your reef - wow. Hope it continues to thrill you, and us.

~_~: Thanx

jebus: If you weep, please save the tears and send them to me, I'm doing an experiment with using tears as an artificial salt water :D Just kidding. Thank you very much, but I have my hands full already.

printerdown01: Thanx, I have 2 of my own 12's to keep me busy for a while. 2.5's are great! At first, I was in the old school thinking of the more water the easier to maintain and the less water the harder, well I thought a 2.5 (1 gallon of water after the coral and LR) would be near impossible to keep going and maintain properly. I'll tell you this, this has been the most stable, healthieast, cheapest and best freak'n tank I have ever owned. I would suggest one to anyone as a second tank.

LEEWINK: Thanx, I am impressed with the feat you are atempting yourself.

palaegic: Thanx, I still have my hands in it daily so the thrill is still there (although it is usually to pick up after the pain in the butt hermit that can't go a day without uprooting or knocking over something) I moved the gorgo tonight and noticed that my white yuma dove off the spot it was on and I found it in back of the wall on the power head (gonna be fun getting it out from the back I'll tell ya), and I have been thinking of grabbing a few more frags from the tank upstairs so I'll be posting the changes soon.

i was just wondering about this question right now for some reason:

i no that you need supply shells to hermits so when they outgrow them they can move into new homes. Where do you get shells that look authentic from the oceon like the purplr one your hermit has all the ones at my LFS are all glazed ones that look stupid?

p.s ROCK ON LIQUID wkd reef . I vote for tank of the month too. Really kick ass reef keep up the good work. LOve the candy cane :)

" LEEWINK: Thanx, I am impressed with the feat you are atempting yourself. "

thankyou, its coming together now, ive just picked up some more bits yesterday, and await the remaining hopefully tomorrow or so (pic on webshots now).

Just gotta get some fans for the tank hood and "water pump" cupboards and we should be set to start the headache and spaghetti wiring !!

cheers

lee

R*Frost*: I usually just let them move into old snail shells. The one he is currently wearing is the shell he came with. I guess he moved into an oversized shell originally, considering it is still very big on him and he will most likely keep wearing it for some time. I keep various larger plain shells behind the reef wall if he ever needs a bigger home. I suppose you could glue a snail shell to your rocks and allow coraline to cover them. Once they are covered, just snap them off for your crabs. If you don't like the glazed ones, just ask your LFS if you could get some old dead snail shells, I'm sure they would have plenty. Thanx again for the compliments.

LEEWINK: Good luck, and my wife complains that "I" have too many wires behind my desk.

ive got 12 leads from my lighting tubes, 18 leads from plugs, 3 x plug bars, stupid amount of tubing etc.

tell her to lighten up !!!! LOL

:D :D :D

cheers,

lee

Archived