inTank Media Baskets

112 galllon photos, mostly closeups

andrewkw

My tank was setup late june. I have made a thread before but it was soon after I got the liverock. I've had some disasters with fish dying, but have not lost any corals other then a few zoos closing up. I will post a fts shortly.

lighting consists of two 250w 14k de's and 2 96w pc actnics. The naked clownfish are new and I really like them.

IMGP1739.jpg

IMGP1726.jpg

IMGP1722.jpg

IMGP1721.jpg

IMGP1716.jpg

IMGP1700.jpg

IMGP1699.jpg

IMGP1685.jpg

IMGP1670.jpg

IMGP1665.jpg

IMGP1664.jpg

IMGP1662.jpg

IMGP1658.jpg

IMGP1457.jpg

clowns.jpg

IMGP1467.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
mybuickskill6979

eyy bro you tank is bad @$$!! everything looks very happy, haha the hermits just sitting there like oh crap he saw me lol!! very nice man. the corals look awesome i mean what can i say but DAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNN!!! :lol:

here is a full tank shot from today. Still a lot of working and growing in to do. Sorry its a little dark, forgot to adjust the white balance.

nov26fts.jpg

I have a huge brown macro algae thats starting to becoming a pain however I still like the way it looks even if most find this type of macro unappealing. My Canary Wrasse hunts in it and my Gramma finds shelter in it from time to time.

my latest additions include a favia brain and an interesting zoo colony that grew over a dead acro.

favia.jpg

zoodeadacro.jpg

oh and another shot of my dispar anthias, I really regret not buying 6 as soon as I saw them. I waited 3 days and went back to buy 3 more but those 3 all died within a few days while my original 3 have grown and are thriving thanks to 2-4 frozen feedings a day of brine and mysis. They spit out flakes and pellets.

IMGP1863.jpg

I really like the look with macros...just keep it pruned...as you said it adds diversity for the critters :D

I think that macro is sargium...doh spelling is off and no search finds it...someone else help or maybe Ill remember after one more cup of coffee..lol.

Ive got one bunch growing in display and one in refugium

Izzue

just wondering in the second to last pic on the first post do u no what plant that is because i am having a problem with that same plant it is overgrowing

that is caulerpa take out as much as possible

I think that macro is sargium...

Izzue

Sargassum is what your looking for ;)

The sargassum will eventually go when I have more corals, but for now its fine other then its a pain to remove the leaves from the powerheads. I have some caulerpa that has made its way from the fuge to the display which I will eventually remove as well. I will get a tang sooner or later and hopefully he will eat it. I dont think anything will touch the sargassum though.

I'll post some more pics later today including a couple of crazy impulse purchases i just hope make it.

nothing like weekend impulse buys. I got a few nice zoo's at one great reef shop, then went to another lfs which had an lps I had never seen. yeah its elegance, i'm giving it a go.

That's not even the worst of the impulse buys. I also got a sponge. I knew these were hard to take care of but somehow got it anyway.

1.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

IMGP2254.jpg

IMGP2258.jpg

moved a few things around since the pic but newest fts for now

dec2ndfts.jpg

So the elegance died, which was kinda expected. I also removed the sponge because I had become paranoid it would wipe out the tank. I'm no longer going to buy any corals from fish stores that do not specialize in corals.

Anyway I FINALLY got my RBTA so hopefully my clowns will enjoy it as much as I do. he hasn't moved yet and I am hoping he enjoys where I placed him.

Here he is :

IMGP2275.jpg

This rock is really neat. It contains a few different polyps as well as some ricordias. All for only $55, still hasn't opened up yet, as it just arrived late last night / early this morning and is not starting to open up in my tank.

IMGP2327.jpg

IMGP2328.jpg

IMGP2319.jpg

Blastos! I really like blastos. I got 2 nice pieces would have got this other orange one, but it was grabbed before I could decide.

IMGP2338.jpg

IMGP2336.jpg

IMGP2286.jpg

IMGP2335.jpg

IMGP2333.jpg

Wow...nice early Christmas B)

Sry about the elegance...One of my LFS always has nice ones in and even admits to a low survial rate.

May I ask why the Sponge was such a bad thing...I always thought they where great for nutrient export...My refugium has a fair amount growing in it.

Izzue

Wow...nice early Christmas B)

Sry about the elegance...One of my LFS always has nice ones in and even admits to a low survial rate.

May I ask why the Sponge was such a bad thing...I always thought they where great for nutrient export...My refugium has a fair amount growing in it.

Izzue

I have read that when the sponge dies it will release toxins into the water. I can't seem to find the link now but if i do I'll post it. They are also supposed to be fed several times a day if not more and ended up being more trouble then it's worth.

Edited by andrewkw

Your tank is absolutely Stunning. Its people like you that make me want to get into coral.

*EDIT*

Whats the name of this coral?

IMGP2275.jpg

Edited by Jordon

thanks a lot. It still has a long way to go, I still consider it a newbie tank and probably will for at least another year. I've made plenty of mistakes and still have a lot to learn.

The latest mistake was buying that lunare wrasse. I assumed he was a simalar reef safe species and spent all sunday removing him. I have a different work in progress aquascape.

That pink guy is actually a rose bubble tip anemone and not a coral. He was the one thing I didn't move from the tank since I was quite happy where he was. He has since moved to the center.

Once i finish re attaching my corals I will post a new fts

here is a new fts shot. I'm still not sure about the left side, its not super stable and i'm also not sure about the look. Perhaps some more playing when I take time off for christmas

dec17.jpg

got a few new zoo's and a big blasto colony. I'm also learning to use my camera (pentax k100d) better and now seem to get nicer pics that produce more accurate colours

IMGP2514.jpg

IMGP2637.jpg

IMGP2615.jpg

IMGP2510.jpg

IMGP2595.jpg

there's 20+ polyps on this guy!

some more new shots

IMGP2582.jpg

IMGP2574.jpg

IMGP2617.jpg

the above colony has really taken off lately and coloured up. I bought it more so for the shape, it covers a dead acro, but now I really like the zoos too.

IMGP2656.jpg

more to come

IMGP2505.jpg

IMGP2511.jpg

IMGP2509.jpg

IMGP2603.jpg

IMGP2577.jpg

IMGP2571.jpg

and of course some fishies

IMGP2518.jpg

IMGP2534.jpg

IMGP2641.jpg

IMGP2614.jpg

I'm going to work on the right side, not the left as I posted above as far as the aquascape. I might still leave it not sure.

I want to add another clam something more colourfull in the future, now that I have a calcium reactor and it's been running for a little while I will start to look at more SPS as well.

I currently have two, 250w DE's and I'm thinking about adding a 3rd the center brace would shade some of the light but it would still help. The main reason I haven't is heat issues, even with the tank in the basement i get up to 82 with the 2 mh's. I could add more fans, I only have 2 in the hood, a couple in the sump would probably help.

More fish in the future. Either a fairy or carpenter wrasse, a manderin after the tank is a year old although I could probably swing one now. My refugeium is full of pods and mysis shrimp and who knows what else. I was a little surprised that the top of the coraline died after being out of the water for only a few hours. In a month or 2 it should come back.

I've also been really into blastos lately. Always liked LPS and with Zoos becoming more and more expensive thanks to everyone wanting them I may focus more on them. However I'm still big on the zoos.

Other then that I want to add a small purple tang to be the boss of the tank however I still haven't found one I like and I would like to cross off my other wants before adding this guy in.