Coral Vue Hydros

Weird Worm, Need ID

BeerNuts

Sorry guys my DigiCam is so crappy I can't seem to get a image of the thing. Tanks been up 1 day and the most active thing in the tank is this worm... He is in a hole in the rock with a "maget" like body and a "String Mop" for its head. Its spent all day half way out of the rock rubbing its tenticle mop head on the rock next to it. Seemingly eating alge and not the coral on the rock. After a days work it has managed to ancor 5-6 of its mop like tenticles on to the rock next to it. It hichhiked in on my LR for Florida. Anyone know what it is and should I remove it?

Are the tentacles white or red? Sounds somewhat like a 'spaghetti worm'. One often finds these on Carib rock (my tank has dozens).

If that's what it is, keep it, it's a detritus feeder, harmless, helpful, and happy.

If it's a featherduster worm, same thing goes. It's common on Caribbean rock, harmless, helpful, and happy, although the featherduster feeds out of the water column, so I can't imagine it 'picking at a nearby rock' as you say.

Barring clearer identifying characteristics, or talk about it sneaking out of the tank and strangling your puppies, it sounds like it's probably one of these two, or something similar and similarly harmless.

Ratty

Ratty's Reef

Well looks like you are 100% correct on it being a spaghetti worm. I looked them up and thats just what it was. I say "was" becuase as of this morring it was hanging dead out of hits hole on the rock.

I saw on your gallery that you have keys rock also, what did you do about the Aiptasia that came on your rock? I got one hiding in my rock also it seems.

Glad to be of help.

I dumped a quartet of peppermint shrimp in. It took them a while to get around to eating the aptasia, but one day the aiptasia was gone, so...

Like so many thing in reefkeeping, it seems like patience is the thing to have. I know there are folks that smear their aiptasia with goo or inject them with stuff, but my aiptasia was on the underside of a deep shelf and there was no way I could get at it...So I had to send in the shrimp!

And, I dunno...Shrimp just feel safer to me. I have had one or two people say my tank seems to have an awful lot of cleaners in it, but, well... You saw the pictures. It seems to work out for me.

Ratty

Ratty's Reef

Archived