Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dave's 29 Gallon Oceanic Biocube

dbartkow

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great so there is no way the tank can overflow then during power outages?

Your tank looks good sorry to Hijack you thread :D

No problem, I enjoy the conversation :)

If a power outage occurred, the pump would turn off and the tank water would actually go down and fill chambers 2 and 3 so all levels are equal. No water on the floor...at least that is the theory ;)

i guess X amount of water in the biocube could not overflow as its a closed system. If you added a sump or something thent that would be the problem.

I also ordered the tunze skimmer I get to pick it up tomorrow . Did you or are you removing the false bottom in Chamber two?

i guess X amount of water in the biocube could not overflow as its a closed system. If you added a sump or something thent that would be the problem.

I also ordered the tunze skimmer I get to pick it up tomorrow . Did you or are you removing the false bottom in Chamber two?

Yes, I did remove the false bottom. I don't think the skimmer will fit in low enough without removing it....although I could be wrong on that point.

How's your cube coming along?

Dave

Yes, I did remove the false bottom. I don't think the skimmer will fit in low enough without removing it....although I could be wrong on that point.

How's your cube coming along?

Dave

Just drained the freshwater for the leak test. I think tomorrow I am going to open the flow to chamber 2. Hopefully I will have time to run and get the hydro flo. Once my wife and I can decide on where the tank will be located I will fill up and put my live rock in and start the cycle.

I took the blue sponge out and wondering if the stock carnon etc would be worth keeping in or taking out. Ithink for the cycle part it could help...

Any suggestions things you would reconsider?

The only thing I wish I had done is grind down one more plastic part. Between chambers 2 and 3 there is a small plastic flange that is about and inch or two down in chamber 2. Right now I have the Tunze skimmer leaning up against that flange so it is not flush against the wall. As a result, it is a little wobbly. But, it doesn't alter the functionality of it at all - it still works just as good. I am just really anal about things.

One thing I am thinking about is tinkering with the doors that open on the hood. With all the heat from the tank and the plastic parts expanding, it is difficult to open/close the doors fully. They are a littel too snug so I was thinking about sanding some of the clasps down.

Besides that, I am real happy with all the mods. Good luck with yours...keep us posted.

Dave

Hey Dave, would you be willing to part with the 2nd chamber bottom piece ?!?!? I broke mine and needed it to try out the sapphire aquatics skimmer.... I wanted to do a comparo to the Tunze that we are currently using, but broke that bottom piece... Let me know if youd be willing to sell it so I dont have to deal with Oceanic.

Doug

Just took todays measurements. Not a whole lot of difference from yesterday.

Just an increase in the Nitrates.

Yesterday:

pH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrite: 0.05

Nitrate: 5

Today:

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrite: 0.05

Nitrate: 10

After lights out last night, I was able to see a bunch of little bugs running around on top of the sand. So there is life in there!

Dave

does the bottom in chamber one come out for the heater or is a permanent fixture?

I believe the bottom of chamber 1 will pull out. However, I did not do this. I found a nice small heater that fit in chamber 1 without removing it. I got the Finnex 100w DIGITAL Titanium Heater w/controller. It fit with room to spare.

Dave

The best way is to set it once you have water in the tank... you want it about an inch or so down from the top of the black plastic top part of the skimmer.

The best way is to set it once you have water in the tank... you want it about an inch or so down from the top of the black plastic top part of the skimmer.

I agree, you should set it to the water level. I am probably going to be adjusting mine. I am not happy with the water flow and the noise from the water going from chamber 1 to chamber 2. So, I am working on a gadget that will allow me to adjust the flow of water from chamber 1 to chamber 2 and it will also have a ramp that will gradually bring the water down into chamber 2 without sounding like a bubbling brook going through my family room.

Dave

i just put a piece of filter sponge in there to have the water run through that... plus its an extra filter devise... takes out anything large.

I tried that with some foam pad, but it just ended off sinking to the bottom of chamber 2. What did you do to hold it in place?

Dave

I took some water measurements today and was surprised by the results:

Yesterday:

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 0.05 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

Today:

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0.05 ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

It seems like there was a little bit of die off on my live rock from the 18, or so, hours that it was in transit. But it seems to be pretty minimal. My ammonia is already zero after 3 days and everything else seems to be headed down. That is my theory, at least for now. I will keep testing for the next couple of days to see for sure.

Dave

I am using some pads that I bought at the local petsemart, They are aquaclear filter insert foam for 40-70 gallon aqauriums. I trim the side down by about an inch, and its like 5 inches wide then, and I compress it into the second chamber and it stays there because its "jammed" into that spot.

skimmerrunning.jpg

I just got the bottom piece today Dave... thanks for shippin that to me. :)

No problem...hope it works for you.

I have been checking my water quality everyday and it hasn't changed at all. So things have been a little boring around here. I would like to see some changes just to keep things interesting. But, I guess I should complain....

I am still at:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0.05ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

So I will sit on it a little longer. I am starting to see some green algae growing on some of the rocks. So I am thinking about getting some crabs, shrimp or snails. Anyone know what is good to start cleaning things up? Or should I wait longer till the water is at 0,0,0?

I am also going to be setting up a 15 gallon quarantine tank this weekend. I have decided that no fish will go in the biocube until they have had at least 1 month of quarantine to make sure they aren't carrying any diseases.

Dave

Ithink when I buy the fish Iam going to buy them all at once. That way I can drop them in and be done, I plan on having my cleanup crew in place. Hopefully yhis will not blow the bio load outta whack but I really do not have the room to run a QT tank either. Especaily after downgrading from the 120.

Good Luck looks like you are moving along well.

You should have no problems with a cleanup crew at those numbers... I got all my cleanup crew from a guy that sold me his LR and LS and there was a small cycling spike after putting all that into my cube and theyre all still going strong in there.

Archived