SaltCritters.com

[Custom] Calvin415

calvin415

Holy Crap talk about feedback!!!

Snow! So much!

Love the tank Calvin, can't wait to see it prgoress. Keep up the good work!

Yeah, too much snow... Took me 4 hours of shoveling this morning just to get my car to the street, where it was then stuck for a few more hours. :( AWD is great but only if the snow isn't too deep...

Thanks for the feed back!

haha, when does anyone "need" halides for a nano? you know you WANT to ;):P

OH! but fyi, coralife does make a super slim single t5 HO fixture that is only 2" wide. it would be a nice top-off for your long and slender tank design.

No, I really don't want too... Too much heat, too much intensity, and too many lights would be required for 48 inches... I thought about T-5's but what it came down to is that I already have the ballast and endcaps for VHO's so I'm not going to spend the money.

looks awesome. will definitely keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks!

Bumber about the weather, It's sunny, clear skies and in the 70's over here.

Sure rub it in... Oh well we had a blizzard on Thursday, and it was in the 50's today and the 60's tomorrow. I love it here! :) Here's the view from my house 350 days a year...

pikes-peak.jpg

oh man, that is more snow than ive seen in the past four years combined........ but ive seen about 10 times that amount in rain! go pacific northwest!!!!

Yeah, we haven't had this kind of snow in a while... Although last time we did we didn't go anywhere for a week.

wow! omgomgomg this tank is so great!! You should market these puppies. I'll buy. :naughtydance:

Stay tuned... ;)

That *is* the coolest tank I've ever seen. I will totally build one like that when I can afford it, only multiply the volume by 10 or so.. Extremely cool!

Thanks! That would be sweet to see!!!

Wow, I love the beach.

Me too, but it gets too hot so it's nice to vacation and just keep the fish at home. :)

Okay, so here's an update...

The second pump works great but one small hind sight... I forgot to pick up bolts to mount the brackets to the wall. :( Oh well tomorrow is another day so I'll pick some up on the way home after the football game. :)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I figured since I didn't get anything really done tonight, I'll just post the second pump and what the powder coated brackets look like...

DSCN2472.jpg

DSCN2475.jpg

Could you say a little bit about what you plan to have in your sump? I can see a couple of "filters" in the last picture there, but what kind of filtration have you been thinking about when this baby is up and running?

Could you say a little bit about what you plan to have in your sump? I can see a couple of "filters" in the last picture there, but what kind of filtration have you been thinking about when this baby is up and running?

Thought I already did... ??? The overflows are at either end of the sump box, the water will spill into chamber 1 and 5 where it will then travel through a mechanical/chemical filter pad into chambers 2 and 4 where I will have cheato growing in each... The water will lastly travel under the dividers into chamber 3 where each pump will return the water to the opposite side of the tank. :)

wow, that back area is just too cool

Thanks bro!

Alright, it took longer than I wanted but things came up... It's quite sloppy for now, but it's cycling. :) I'll work on cleaning things up in the days/weeks ahead...

DSCN2479.jpg

DSCN2477.jpg

DSCN2478.jpg

DSCN2480.jpg

DSCN2481.jpg

DSCN2483.jpg

Thanks, you too! :)

Thanks!

nice man. haha, now when you watch the little mermaid from that couch, and sebastian sings "under the sea" it totally has new meaning... LOL.

so BB for you?

that's sooo cool.

LOL!!!!

I wasn't planning on BB but who knows... For now I'm just trying to get the tank ready for corals. I might add sand later...

Thanks!

LOL!!!!

I wasn't planning on BB but who knows... For now I'm just trying to get the tank ready for corals. I might add sand later...

Thanks!

Ya know, I already hate the BB look and I haven't even looked at it since I took the pics last night. LOL! I'll be adding sand asap. ;)

thank you for adding sand to the tank! I was going to be slightly dissapointed if you went BB on such an awesome tank ;)

LOL! Yeah I was planning on sand but it look cool BB at first (I didn't have the sand so I didn't add it to begin with). That cool factor lasted about 12 hours and I hit the LFS on the way home for some aragonite. :D Poured it in (no I didn't rinse it) but the tank was clear in about 2 hours and this morning it was crystal clear!

The rock I put in was cooking for months and came from an established tank so I'm not sure what kind of cycle I'll have, if any... I figure I'll give it a week and test and if they are still 0 I'll start stocking it. :)

Alright, I think the lights might be a while to come... Design is giving me issues. Here's some pics with the sand.

DSCN2506.jpg

DSCN2516.jpg

DSCN2514.jpg

DSCN2511.jpg

DSCN2510.jpg

DSCN2507.jpg

TankLongShot.jpg

Alright, I think the lights might be a while to come... Design is giving me issues. Here's some pics with the sand.
Why not use the 48" 2x65W Current USA Satellite or the 48" 2x65W Coralife Aqualight? I doubt you'll find a better solution for lighting. Plus your zoos and ricordeas will love the light in that depth of water. I'd go for the Satellite as mine does a great job and the little legs are not a problem at all. Water on the acrylic spray shield from my penguin is a pita, but otherwise great lighting and fairly inexpensive.

Do you have any particular reason why VHOs would suit you better?

Good looking tank, Calvin. Is that store built in an old garage just west of Nevada on Fillmore still in business? I think it's called Mr. Aqua. Ring a bell? How about Neptune or Seascape Aquatics? I liked Mr. Aqua's big reef tank they had--but this was a few years ago so it may have changed. I look forward to seeing what you do with this thing.

Did u see the AFA/Army game?... hahah :D

Why not use the 48" 2x65W Current USA Satellite or the 48" 2x65W Coralife Aqualight? I doubt you'll find a better solution for lighting. Plus your zoos and ricordeas will love the light in that depth of water. I'd go for the Satellite as mine does a great job and the little legs are not a problem at all. Water on the acrylic spray shield from my penguin is a pita, but otherwise great lighting and fairly inexpensive.

Do you have any particular reason why VHOs would suit you better?

Good looking tank, Calvin. Is that store built in an old garage just west of Nevada on Fillmore still in business? I think it's called Mr. Aqua. Ring a bell? How about Neptune or Seascape Aquatics? I liked Mr. Aqua's big reef tank they had--but this was a few years ago so it may have changed. I look forward to seeing what you do with this thing.

Did u see the AFA/Army game?... hahah :D

Was planning on VHO's since I already have them, but right now all options are on the table. :) We'll see what I end up going with... Thanks for the recommend!

Yep, Mr Aqua, Neptunes and Seascape are all still in business and Fishy Business is under new ownership along with Exotic Tropicals. They are all doing well but Mr Aqua had a pipe burst and flood all their tanks almost a year ago now and lost everything. All night long the store was sprayed with fresh water. :( They are back up and running though and wouldn't know the difference.

Too bad for Army huh? LOL!!!!! I was just disappointed AFA couldn't move the ball in the 2nd half. Oh well I guess 43 points in the first half is enough. ;)

Thanks for the feedback and the chat!

Okay so you have an amazing tank! It is beautiful.

But WTF are you thinking with that hanging unit. I mean seriously its particle board and some angle brackets. It deserves someting better to hide the wires and not stick out like a sore thumb.

I want to make a tank exactly like yours. Do you have and plans with measurements you would be willing to send my way?

Good luck with this beauty.

Okay so you have an amazing tank! It is beautiful.

But WTF are you thinking with that hanging unit. I mean seriously its particle board and some angle brackets. It deserves someting better to hide the wires and not stick out like a sore thumb.

I want to make a tank exactly like yours. Do you have and plans with measurements you would be willing to send my way?

Good luck with this beauty.

WOW! Pretty harsh there... LOL! Yeah I know I'm in the process of planning and building a cabinet that will mount below the tank and cover all of the ugliness. All you will see when it's finished is a white power cord out the bottom and the tank. :) I do have the google sketchup drawing I'll be glad to email to you if you like. Just PM me your email address. :D

Archived