Innovative Marine Aquariums

[Custom] Zythum

Zythum

Hi,

This is my first reef, my 130G is progressing (slowly), I am still curing the rocks I made and budget is missing a bit. Ive decided to put a nano over my PC table. Since my 130 will be fully automated, Ive decided to pratice my code on a nano. My thing is trying to go on a budget, but I added some tech stuff to make it cooler and have some fun at DIY.

Tank:

10G Glass tank standard

Lighting:

3 x 50/50 20W bulbs in a custom top

Pumps:

2 x powerheads 106GPH/each

1 x return pump around 50GPH

Skimmer:

Known brand 65G

Sump:

5G bucket

I will post my picture later, with my favorite beverage in the tank.

The tank is progressing, almost done the top, can't wait to mix salt for the first time. I am using my change jar, that slows down the progress.

This will be fish mixed with corals, nothing too fancy. Since the small fishes adapted to nanos like sand, I will try a medium sandbed (the 130G will have only 1/8-1/4 of an inch of sand at the bottom).

Aims:

- Low noise

- Low cost

- Low maintenance

- High tech factor

- Must look stealth and nice

- Commando cat proof, lolllll

My understanding is that you only have to have your photo in by tomorrow. The water in date I guess would more coincide with the last day you can add anything to the tank which I'm pretty sure was sometime in January however the longer it's up the better growth etc you can get out of it which is one of the judging factors.

But I'm not a judge or moderator so don't take my word on it...

I don't get it, what's the automated part?

Also, using your change jar may not be such a good idea, considering the makeup of change...

The change jar is my financing source, lollll.

The automated parts are:

- Day Lights

- Natural moon cycle

- Maintenance modes

- Power management for power shortage

- Intelligent wave controller

- Monitoring of failures with management and alarms

- Temperature control

I am building my top this week-end, will post pictures.

All my automated stuff is controlled by a PLC. I have maxed the inputs and outputs on it. The only other thing I want to add would be an auto top off without software control. I want to feed manually since it is my first tank.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay for the update, I missed power last week-end.

Here is the status, I will post some pictures later:

- I broke my 10G AGA while trying to drill a second hole.

- I am ready to silicone together my freshly cut glass, it is bigger (12G) size is 20x11x13. It should be done this week.

- My sump is almost done, I just need a rack on top to hold the sensors, will be done with eggcrate.

-The bottom shelve is wired and ready to be bolted on the wall.

- The piping just needs to be cut and glued together

- The top is painted and wired, ready to be tested.

- The electric circuit needs a board with triacs and optocouplers that I am building

- The temperature probe needs to be welded and I have to get the glass case for it.

Since the contest ends in march, I don't know if it will be realistic to integrate my population of fishes and corals. It is a bigger project than I tough with my time available. But I will still try to make it.

Pictures are coming later tonite.

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay for the update, I missed power last week-end.

Here is the status, I will post some pictures later:

- I broke my 10G AGA while trying to drill a second hole.

- I am ready to silicone together my freshly cut glass, it is bigger (12G) size is 20x11x13. It should be done this week.

- My sump is almost done, I just need a rack on top to hold the sensors, will be done with eggcrate.

-The bottom shelve is wired and ready to be bolted on the wall.

- The piping just needs to be cut and glued together

- The top is painted and wired, ready to be tested.

- The electric circuit needs a board with triacs and optocouplers that I am building

- The temperature probe needs to be welded and I have to get the glass case for it.

Since the contest ends in march, I don't know if it will be realistic to integrate my population of fishes and corals. It is a bigger project than I tough with my time available. But I will still try to make it.

Pictures are coming later tonite.

In past contests, it had to be the same exact tank as in the last pic entered before deadline. Since you're doing a new tank, this will most likely disqualify you from the contest.

I should know, I missed the 2.5g contest due to 2 cracked 2.5gs and didn't finish my custom acrylic version in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the pictures, Ive been busy and sick lately. I have to finish my electronic circuit and then I will add the liverocks and sand. I am also adding a GFI this week-end. My UPS lasts 3 days on my tank, this should be enough to cover for the cold winter power outages.

Picture056.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Picture058.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I am officially out of the contest. My new sump is 15G, taht brings my total water volume to 27G. The bucket was too small for the accessories, the 15G HI is much better.

This is my first tank, I had let PH go down to 7.8 and alk to 2.5 . I am still learning and I enjoy it. So far I have 2 red and 2 blue hermit crabs, a hitchhiker hermit in the sump. I had a clown goby, but it jumped, I have shielded all the exits. I put some live rock and cheato in the sump.

Good luck everyone

Archived