Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mini Carpet Anemones

lgreen

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scored not one but two of them today!!!!!

wandering around in another city and stop to gaze at a tank full of LR for sale that had lots of "LIVE" to it like GSP, shrooms etc... and noticed this tiny little odd looking shroom thingy.

poked it with my finger and sure enough it reacted! The rock weighed 2lbs but I "Accidentally" broke it into a smaller piece.....brought it home and fragged all the xenia and polyps off and when it came time to break the chunk of rock where the mini carpet was I found one on the other side!!!!

The main one is super awesome! Pinkish ends....Green center/bubbles and purple base....the other one has a yellow color to it but saw a hint of blue in the frills.

Can't wait till the morning when the lights come on!!!!! Hitchhiker Mini-Carpet FTW!

wandering around in another city and stop to gaze at a tank full of LR for sale that had lots of "LIVE" to it like GSP, shrooms etc... and noticed this tiny little odd looking shroom thingy.

poked it with my finger and sure enough it reacted! The rock weighed 2lbs but I "Accidentally" broke it into a smaller piece.....brought it home and fragged all the xenia and polyps off and when it came time to break the chunk of rock where the mini carpet was I found one on the other side!!!!

The main one is super awesome! Pinkish ends....Green center/bubbles and purple base....the other one has a yellow color to it but saw a hint of blue in the frills.

Can't wait till the morning when the lights come on!!!!! Hitchhiker Mini-Carpet FTW!

Nice find! How bout some pics when they get settled... and a half of one shipped to your neighbor to the north? (Oklahoma not Canada.)

wo.

Nice score! I'm considering a another tank just for these wierd, pretty, ugly, hyped up nems :)

Nice score! I'm considering a another tank just for these wierd, pretty, ugly, hyped up nems :)

Maybe you could get a breeding pair of Aceteminophors to host in them. :D

Maybe you could get a breeding pair of Aceteminophors to host in them. :D

That would be awesome. I do have an 18g tall I setup for dsh's over a year ago just sitting empty with lots of cheato, bristles, brittle stars, and pods. It even has black sand. Hmmm....maybe time to start that 70w mh build.

Def Mysis. Those things can breed like there is no tomorrow.

So... do these nems just not sting corals at all, or is it more like they don't like getting stung and so stay just out of range? I think they are really cool, but would be hesitant to put one on my tank if it behaves like a miniature giant carpet. (i.e., stinging the living crap out of whatever it touches.) Are they really that peaceful with corals? SPS like montis and acros included?

If so, I may have to try them, cause they are really neat looking.

- Josh

Def Mysis. Those things can breed like there is no tomorrow.

So... do these nems just not sting corals at all, or is it more like they don't like getting stung and so stay just out of range? I think they are really cool, but would be hesitant to put one on my tank if it behaves like a miniature giant carpet. (i.e., stinging the living crap out of whatever it touches.) Are they really that peaceful with corals? SPS like montis and acros included?

If so, I may have to try them, cause they are really neat looking.

- Josh

I don't think so. They are still anemones. Adin is the Anemone expert though. Let him chime in. I'm getting the Anemone bug too.

i'm not an expert.

IME, LPS are irritated by S. tapetum. Most softies don't seem to mind. SPS are reportedly OK with them,but i cannot confirm

i really wouldn't recommend keeping them in a standard "reef" tank, but in all honesty, most tanks would be fine

SPECIES TANK FTW! Mine will be ready soon :D

i'm not an expert.

IME, LPS are irritated by S. tapetum. Most softies don't seem to mind. SPS are reportedly OK with them,but i cannot confirm

i really wouldn't recommend keeping them in a standard "reef" tank, but in all honesty, most tanks would be fine

Montipora doesn't seem bothered by mine as long as they don't block out the light.

Is there a safe way to remove these without chiseling the LR? Or should I not worry about them? I have 4-5 pieces of LR in my 20 gal QT and they are starting to multiply like crazy. I only use this tank for a clownfish QT so I am assuming they are safe but would like to thin them out.

... but would like to thin them out.

Oooh that was the wrong correct thing to say. Wait till other people see that. They will not only tell you how to get them off, but will ask for them from you like there is no tomorrow. So......to beat the rush.. may I have some when you get them off please? :):flower: Oh and :welcome: to Nano-reef by the way. :)

I think I read some where if you irritate them by pointing a powerhead at them they will start to move and they will be easier to get off, but you have to be ready for them to move. :)

Archived