Pod Your Reef

Mini Carpet Anemones

lgreen

Yeah, I understand that. For me, local wasn't an option at the time, and I got a BUNCH, so shipping wasn't bad - about $1/mini for overnight.

Nice, thats a decent deal... Where did you get them and is there still a deal like that?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice, thats a decent deal... Where did you get them and is there still a deal like that?

I got them from another NR member who wanted to rid himself of all his mini carpets, and wanted to sell them in groups. I bought everything he had :D So nope, ruined that deal ;)

fraggle rockette
Thats what I figured, just wish shipping wasn't so darn expensive... Overnight shipping costs more than what I can get 2 minis for locally, and I would be ticked off if they didn't make the trip.

why would you have to overnight? i've bought flower nems online and they do 2-3 day usps. they came just fine and are nice and open. wouldn't they ship the same as those sort of nems or rics?

Adin, I'm coming over to check out your tank! :)

Adin, I'm coming over to steal your tank. :)

Ok, tell all!! I want in on this mini/maxi action! No I mean I really want in on this action, I'm just a toddler playing with letter blocks as mine were ugly hitchhikers, lol!

• 2 weeks later...
In the past month or so, this one's lost its vibrancy and the tentacles grew long and ugly. Any suggestions? :(

2j64uq9.jpg

IDK but from the picture the tentacles actually look kinda cool, granted its not super colorful but still cool looking. I have found my carpets seem to do the best right under my 150w MH about 1/3 of the way up the tank, I have some spaced through out different areas and heights but those are by far the happiest with the most vibrant colors.

Also back to those blue carpets... Somone else has one!!!!!

How do you know it is def S. Tapetum and not Ricordea, or Corallomorphia, or some other non-S.Tapetum? What are the defining characteristics of S.Tapetum mini minis and maxi minis?

• 1 month later...
So...will they eat nano sized slow moving fish, or sting other corals?

I started with one about a year ago and they have split/reproduced over the year so that there are about 15-20 of them currently in my 20G tank. Most of them have settled together on a rock under the feeding area so they eat leftovers everyday. A few have traveled around the tank and reside in the midst of some zoa colonies but have not damaged them in anyway besides the annoyance of them settling in the midst of the colony. The only thing I have seen them eat besides food that floats their way was a feather duster worm that ejected from its tube and floated into their midst.

In my experience they don't sting other corals. Had mine chill right next to zoas, a monti and some acro's. Haven't had any fish eaten by them but a buddy had a cleaner goby go straight from the bag right into a mini and become dinner. $$ down the tube, but most other fish should be smart enough to keep away.

EAT FISH...YES!!! Someone lost a 4" yellow tang to a maxi on here, so not just small or slow fish.

I lost a clown goby to one.

Sting corals - I've only had an acro bleach out that was next to one. Brain corals tend to pull back at first, but get used to it over time. Others don't seem to mind.

Other anemones they don't tolerate well.

Archived