Coral Vue Hydros

To Sweep or Not to Sweep

BHRay

I'm starting a mini-reef (10g) and have been looking at powerheads. Something with an adjustable flow maybe. I've seen some nightmares in some precious threads about sweeping the PH.

1) Suggestions on a model you would use.

2) Can the rotating/moving head types stand up in the SW? Is is necessary to sweep?

Is is necessary to sweep?
Nope - not at all. I've never heard of a power head sweeper that works for more than a week at a time. Ya gotta clean 'em constantly. But if you don't mind the cleaning, go for it.
harbingerofthefish

I think I've read more bad than good by far on PowerSweeps.

You could always get another small PH and hook it up to a timer so that it turns on/off at short intervals. It might cost more at first, but a lot cheaper than buying and rebuying ZooMeds.

It's true, about the Zoomeds. They do require cleaning but, if you do your monthly maintainence it should be fine. I've only had mine for 6 months now and It stoped on me once after 3 months of no cleaning. But like ross said, if you don't mind then IMO they work fine. I just like the way it changes the direction of water flow.

I picked up a maxijet. It's pumping away trying to dissolve that salt off of the bottom of the tank. The water was pretty cold. We'll see how it is when I get up tomorrow. That's where I am right now. Tank, heater, maxijet, salt, and RO water. Maybe I'll try a power sweep later. Do I really need 24 hours before the live rock? I going to the one "big" city tomorrow (about 2 hours away) and was thinking maybe I could pick up about 10lb. of LR. I just started the tank at about an hour ago. So, I'll prolly be back home from my trip at T + 16 hours.

harbingerofthefish

If you can get the LR you want on your trip, get it. Just dump it in. I'm not sure what waiting 24 hrs. would do. *edit* never mind I think your still mixing your 1st batch of water* If you don't have sand in there yet, you might want to add that too. At this point I wouldn't fret too much about the salt. By the time you start dumping in sand and rock, and after the dust settles, and then having your hands in the tank for 3 straight days trying to get everything just right...the salt should be pretty well dissolved.

I have 10lb. of CaribSea aragonit and 10lb. of sand. According to this site (i'm using nano-reef.com since this is my first SW try) I'm to use about 1.5 lb. per gallon. Since I'm using a 10g tank, should I use 7.5lb. of each, or should I just dump both bags in. Hmmm, another question just popped into my mind. Do you layer the substrates or mix the 2? Readings right now (8 hours after tank start) are 1.022 at 76 degrees. There's some fine traces of salt left at the bottom of the tank, so I'm thinking that the salinity might increase slightly. Well, I'm off to the not-so-local FS. I'll be back later today and check for posts. Thanks to all the help.

Don't get hung up on the weight of the sand. Just fill the bottom to a depth of an inch or so. Use the aragonite. The other "sand" is what exactly?

Allowing the mixed water to age is ideal, but don't sweat it. If the fish store is that much of a drive, just get the rock- you'll be fine.

I'm helping my sister w/ starting a tank and it has a zoomed sweeping powerhead. It is still sweeping after 4 weeks and it has been cleaned (taken apart and rinsed) once (today in fact). The other nice feature it has is that it can be reduced - my powerhead only has one speed.

Lastly - the only other person I know w/ a nano-reef tank dislikes them because the two she has have stopped sweeping - but she admittedly does not want to take apart and clean them.

wwc

The live rock at the "big city" lfs looked awful to me. There was some interesting shapes, but I saw none of the coraline growth. Just whitish-tan stuff. They did have some stuff that my lfs has - "brainy" looking rock, all purple, but they were only in display tanks. And the stuff that they did have for sale was $8 and up. My lfs says that he'll sell me the purple stuff for $4.39/lb. if I buy 10lbs. or more. So, needless to say, I didn't get any. Will go by my local guy tomorrow.

BTW, the sand is called Nature's Ocean - it's a very fine white sand.

XtraKritical

Im using 2 power sweeps now... 212 & 216 (not positive on models)

But I would also agree with cleaning which i am not a big fan of.

The larger of the 2 stopped sweeping(used without filter attachment) but the smaller model is sweeping away and hasnt been clean in about 6 months(used with filter attachment).

So... ???

XtraKritical

Keep up the hard work!

Im thinking... even if u make a small purchase, shop online! I found that out the hardway! yep even with s&h

Good luck! ;)

Archived