SaltCritters.com

clownfish

fishboy4

Suggestions for a 10 gallon:

Amphiprion ocellaris (false perc)

Amphiprion percula (true perc)

You could also add something from the gobioid or blennioid family...

neon goby

yellow clown goby

green clown goby

panda clown goby

citron goby

bicolor blenny

two spot blenny

purple firefish

firefish

IMHO, clownfish have great personalities. I'd get a real pretty perc. Don't just buy the first one you see. I'd also add a small goby, most likely a green clown goby.

A fire shrimp or skunk cleaner shrimp would make a nice addition. Peppermints and sexy shrimp are great as well and come with very little bioload to boot.

brandonlouis

I am having this conversation in like 3 different threads!

Originally posted by minimalist

Suggestions for a 10 gallon:

Amphiprion ocellaris (false perc)

Amphiprion percula (true perc)

Your false perc info is well false. A false perc (ocellaris) will grow to 4" long. It has no place in anything less than 30 gallon tank, and no decent fish authority would tell you otherwise. They are great fish, and actually a little more tame than the trues, but they do not belong in 10g reef tanks. MAYBE a 20 gallon fish only with extreme care, but not a 10g reef.

Commercial breeders house TWO false percs in a single 10g tank. One is certainly ok. I can't even count the number of tank threads I've viewed with an ocellaris clown in a 10g tank.

My LFS has had a black ocellaris in a 6g display for 3+ years. This may not be wise, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with having one in a 10g.

brandonlouis

You can keep a Great Dane in a one bedroom apartment, too. That doesn't mean that it is in the best interest of the animal. Commercial breeders are also notorious for jamming fish into small quarters, profitability sometimes outweighs proper animal husbandry. I think you would be hard pressed to find a single piece of literature that suggests it is ever okay to keep a 4" fish in a 10g tank with LR that displaces even more water volume. There is a difference between keeping an animal alive, and keeping an animal happy, IMHO. I have owned fish for 20 years, and when I see someone with a ocellaris clown in a 10g tank, it does #### me off a little. I think that if you are going to assume the stewardship of an animal, you have an obligation to provide it with the best possible enviroment that you can. If you CANNOT, then you don't need that particular breed. I know I sound as if I am on a moral high horse, and I don't mean to be. Most people who have fish in the wrong enviroment have the best of intentions, they just haven't researched enough. Or, they tell themselves, "These people have it in their tank." or "My LFS said it would be okay." Just to make sure of myself, I have gone back and checked a couple books and a few websites, and they all agree with me. I hope that no one takes this in offense, I am not trying to be a jerk, I am just a fish lover who wants to see animals thrive.

brandonlouis, I agree with you. And, just because minimalist can cite examples of people *on a message board* who support his claim doesn't really mean anything. I could probably dig up a few photos of nano reefers keeping a tang in their tank, but does that help to prove that I should keep one in mine? I think not. And minimalist, I'm not attacking you. I've seen you give good advice, but I am of the personal belief that "less is more" as far as fish go in an aquarium.

Clownfish need at least a 250g for themselves, they swim around so much and get to be so large that nothign smaller will work. After all, they will swim about 8 inches from their host coral.

The weird thing is i have a pair in my 12g and they are doing great! Sheesh i must be breaking all kind of rules by having them in there.

There is a grey area; between keeping what you want in a tank, and doing what is good for the species (i.e., no captivity)

The natural range on a dingo, coyote, etc..I am sure is quite a bit larger than the ranch that my parents have, and the yard I have.

But no one would cite cases of animal abuse for the dogs we keep.

And what "natural" environment does at 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation tank bred clown have?

I think for the purposes of healthy, and decoratvie aquatics, we need to find a light in that grey area.

One that recognizes that hey, we are diminishing their potential by keeping them captive, but hey, we are providing a healthy place for them.

brandonlouis

I hear what you are saying Desmo, there is certainly a lot of grey area. I think the principle difference is that dogs are domesticated animals, who through thousands of generations of breeding have become quite dependant upon humans for their survival. Even most "feral animals" (e.g. wild, formerly domesticated animals) rely on human trash and waste to survive. Most dogs have no ability to hunt and would die without human care. A fish, even a 3rd generation tank bred one (infinitely small in evolutionary terms) could survive in the wild. I think you bring up valid points, but ultimately, I am sticking to my earlier opinion. I mean, having any clown in a 2.5g is just cruel. Perhaps you could say that in 10g you are skirting the line, but I think that is undersized as well. Additionally, it is proven that a species will be more healthy in an appropriately sized tank. I think that in this case, the grey area has been decided through years of research and, unfortunately, upside down fish floating at the top of fish tanks.

brandonlouis
Originally posted by pfannin

Well live aquaria stated that true perks can live in 10gallon, but no other clowns.  http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=756

I am a newbie myself starting a 15 gallon and was planning on having a pair of percs.

With all due respect, if you put a pair of clowns, ANY CLOWNS, in your 15g, I will come to your house and club you with a copy of a Robert Fenner book. Seriously.

Well like I said I am new. And I have had a NUMBER of very experienced people tell me that a pair of perc clowns in a 15 gallon would be perfectly fine.

It certainly seems that everybody on here thinks they are the difinitive experts on a any given livestock.

And FYI, I don't do anything without investigating it thouroughly. Once I have finished reading several sources, if more say its a bad idea then I don't do it.

Archived