Coral Vue Hydros

Nano Cube 12DX after 2 Months

fluidimagery

It's looking good so far. I am just a little worried about the clam, especially if you have the stock lighting :unsure: (48 watts). Other than that it looks great.

artarmon42

Sweet! thumbsup.gif

I agree with tMoney. Given that your tank is a 12G (for size perspective), that Crocea looks to be > 3 inches meaning it is starting to get (if not already) light depedant.

Otherwise, looks great!

What's with the middle outlet? Any pics or description of how you hooked it up?

fluidimagery

Tank is under 92 watts of PC light I added a 24watt Actinic bulb, swapped out one of the stock 50/50 with a full 10k daylight, and added two T5 Actinic.

The middle output is running off of a MaxiJet900, I swapped out the stock pump with a MaxiJet600 and they run on 15 minute intervals during the day and 30min at night.

I can't see the clam's color unless I open the lid. It looks purple from the front and bright green from the top when the lid is open. Any way to fix this?

Can you get some photos of your rear chamber? We have all made mods and are interested in what other are doing as well. I just installed my Maxi-Jet 900 with Hydor Flo and of course the surface skimmer mod from a Container Store jewel case.

artarmon42
Originally posted by fluidimagery

I can't see the clam's color unless I open the lid. It looks purple from the front and bright green from the top when the lid is open.  Any way to fix this?

Yup, that's the quirk of clams. Nothing you can do about it.

For what it's worth, the "correct" way to describe a clam's color/pattern is by looking from the top.

92W isn't going to be enough for a Crocea. Move it up the rockwork, and expect that at some point in the future, you'll need to get better lights or trade it in for a smaller (not light dependant) one.

Or just get a different species of clam that does not require as much lighting. You could always go with a Durasa! Would work great under that lighting. I have a sweet one that has tons of purple in him. Most of them are rather brown that I see. But I know there much easier to take care of in the long run.

VERY nice! I'm ordering a 1x24w diy upgrade from nanotuners.com I'm trying to figure out what bulb to get w/my 24w upgrade. The choices are 50/50, 7100, or actinic. My 12gDX is arriving next week. Looks like you also changed out some of your stock lighting.

Is there another thread somewhere with a description of your livestock?

fluidimagery
Originally posted by Web Guy

Can you get some photos of your rear chamber? We have all made mods and are interested in what other are doing as well. I just installed my Maxi-Jet 900 with Hydor Flo and of course the surface skimmer mod from a Container Store jewel case.

17.jpg

I'm installing a Fuge light next week once the kit comes from NanoCustoms. Then, I'll be turing the left 2 compartments into refugiums and pulling out the foreign media (foam and phosphate pad) will be keeping a close eye on phosphates.

Thank you for your comments. I don't think I can do much about the clam as far as returning goes, and it already cost me $90. I moved it up closer to the light, you can see it in the top down pic, it's on the ledge where the GSP was. I'm going to sell that, something isn't right with it. I've had it for 6 weeks and still haven't seen it come out all the way. Takes up too much real estate for being a dud to try to cope with. Is there a way I can tell if the clam is Unhappy?

Thanks again

Lighting for those guys and that species is a big thing. You can always get a durasas which is much easier to maintain. Make sure there under 3" or so which they do not require much if any photosynthesis.

So I guess you are running both of those outles off of the one pump? Fill me in on your set up! I would like to drill another hole and move the Hydor Flo down a little from the top of the surface. Either that or find a elbow to do it for me.:)

fluidimagery
Originally posted by Web Guy

Lighting for those guys and that species is a big thing. You can always get a durasas which is much easier to maintain. Make sure there under 3" or so which they do not require much if any photosynthesis.

So I guess you are running both of those outles off of the one pump? Fill me in on your set up! I would like to drill another hole and move the Hydor Flo down a little from the top of the surface. Either that or find a elbow to do it for me.:)

I'll try talking to the LFS to see what they say about the clam. I was going to try a durases first but liked the coloring of this one, but since I can't see it from the front anyway, it doesn't matter much.

About the pumps... I run the MaxiJet 900 to the 1 bulkhead drilled into the middle chamber then use LocLine adapters to split it. Then I use a MaxiJet 600 to replace the stock pump. However, these pumps aren't running simultaneously, during the day I have them switching every 15 minutes and at night every 30. Makeshift wavemaker. This is my first saltwater tank so I'm learning as I go. I have 5 other freshwater which I'm trying to sell since this NC is taking most of my attention.

Yap NC will do that!...lol Mine is a daily thing. But I love it:)

On the Derasa, keep looking! There are some pretty ones. Mine has purple and much more coloring than most of the ones I see. All of the others at the LFS are all brown with no colors.

64.jpg

Leave my spelling out of this!!!

artarmon42 - I love the Fish Bowl Moon Light Set up with Moon Control Module.:)

All installed and running. I am trying out the Lunar Cycle Set up first for the first month. More or less it runs 24hrs a day going thru different levels thru out the month.

artarmon42

Yeah, that control module is very cool.

But I can't use it... because of the fuge light spillage I haven't even bothered installing a moon light in my cube.

The moon light is BRIGHT!!... You won't worry about that light spill over.:) I only have about 5% light spill over left.

fluidimagery
Originally posted by limulus

Hey fluid,

One more request:  could you post a pic of your lighting?

Thanks

21.jpg

I have the same lighting setup as you, except I have a '04 DX, so no fuge light for me. I'll use and closely monitor the man-made filter materials. :)

fluidimagery

Only 1 Clown

Livestock Includes:

1 Ocellaris Clown

2 Yasa Hashe Gobies (pair)

1 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Pistol Shrimp

1 Peppermint Shrimp

about 8 small snails and 4 hermits

Love mine too!! But now his fin got chopped off and is growing back..

Bad lobster I think...:) Now the goby got smart and relocates at night when he comes out.

57.jpg

Thanks for the photo of the lighting. I've been looking at NanoCustoms and only see a 7100k daylight and a 10k combo. Where did you get the 24w 10K?

Archived