Cultivated Reef

Brain eating Damsel

shaggydoo541

shaggydoo541

Ok here is a few pics I took as my brain ate my damsel. The damsel was dead and I put it an inche or so above the brain at night when the brain had its tentacles extended. The damsel fell down into the brains tentacles and was then consumed by my brain. The next morning the brain spit the damsel back out but it was 3/4 digested. It was basically a small white hunk of flesh with a few bones sticking out when my brain was done with it.

damsel1sm.jpg

damsel2sm.jpg

damsel3sm.jpg

damsel4sm.jpg

WOW what a cool shot dude. I knew that thing had to be dead because those damsels are as fast as lightning. But very very cool.

totally uncool. the fact that you disliked the fish is fine by me...but to let it sit out and suffocate is really wrong. you could have taken it back to the lfs and bought some krill to feed your brain instead. ever stop to think about that one?

Yeah the damsel was already dead (just left him out of water for a few minutes) and I just placed him a few inches above the brain after lights out when the brain had its tentacles extended. Once the damsel floated down and touched a few of the tentacles the brain took over and devoured him
shaggydoo541

Yeah I did think about that one but who cares that much about a little 3 dollar fish? Not me... you can, but I don't. I eat fish and guess what, those fish die too in order for me to eat them, and I'm not worrying about it. Animals dieing and becoming food is nature at work, you can't get upset about every organism that dies or else you would be permanently ####ed off.

lol! i would imagine this brain saved you the trouble of having to net out a horribly aggressive fish down the road! even though its a yellowtail damsy- they still are little bastards! lol!

xoozanthellae

While I usually dont condone killing the fish, I would have ended up killing my Damselfish as well had it not died on me first. I must say that is a unique way of disposing of the guy. Very cool, an all natural meat grinder!

While I don't think the suffocation method was the most appropriate, I almost laughed out loud when people poo pooed the idea of feeding the brain a damsel. Damsels, krill, feeder fish, etc. are ALL living animals (or were at one point). Just because you did not kill it does not diminish the fact that what you're feeding your tank was once alive and has been killed. It is no more noble, and perhaps a bit naive, to go out and buy an already dead fish and think that's a better option.

Therefore, let us all be consistent. If you weep for the damsel, weep for the krill, hell weep for the zooplankton. I see no uproar when anyone talks about dosing cyclopeeze to their tanks. Let's be reasonable. It's the circle of life. :)

shaggydoo541

Well said potus. My thoughts exactly. I agree that suffocation wasn't the best way for the damsel to go out, but I wasn't going to let him die from lack of oxygen or starvation (I was keeping him in a cup after I caught him from my tank). Again though you hit my thoughts right on the head and I couldn't agree with you more.

Originally posted by shaggydoo541

Well said potus. My thoughts exactly. I agree that suffocation wasn't the best way for the damsel to go out, but I wasn't going to let him die from lack of oxygen or starvation (I was keeping him in a cup after I caught him from my tank).  Again though you hit my thoughts right on the head and I couldn't agree with you more.

yeah....you should go back and read what you just wrote since you are a gigantic hypocrite. 'suffocation wasn't the best way for the damsel to go out but i wasn't going to let him die from a lack of oxygen'?! are you seriously that dense? the fish suffocated from a lack of oxygen while out of the water.

your logic is ridiculous.

do you think that you brain just gets randomly large sized fish for meals? or do you think it gets zooplankton? for the price of that damsel returned to a lfs you could have bought a decent package of krill and fed your brain for a good couple weeks.

potus- i realize that most of what we feed our tank are dead animals... but my point is that shaggy took the time to catch the fish and then KILL IT. he could've caught it and taken it back to the store and allowed the fish to live AND, while at the store, could've bought a package of krill which would've allowed his brain more than just one meal.

i just thought that there are better options for feeding your corals than a fish larger than the coral would ever get in the wild (note the fact that the fish was spat out the next day semi-digested).

what i find naive is the fact that no one took the time to explain to the newb that brain corals DO NOT eat large fish as meals in the wild. that just would not happen.

I have no problem feeding it to the brain, or even with wanting to kill it.

It's just that there are so many other really easy methods of killing it that would have caused it less pain, without causing you any hassle (ie - put the cup you were keeping him in into the freezer)

- Daniel

yoshiod makes a good point about it not getting large fish naturally. Being a relative newb myself I couldn't have pointed this out ;)

- Daniel

What I find more amazing than the pic itself, is that he was actually able to net the damn fish. Those things are hard as hell to catch, especially if your tank has a lot of hiding places.

Yoshi- you do raise a valid point about feeding a brain such a large fish. However, my post was targeted to address the "outrage" about feeding the poor damsel to the brain...as if a damsel is somehow superior to a krill or feeder fish.

yeah, let's just end this...I think everyone understands what happened and what everyone thinks,

shaggydoo541

Yoshi - Am I dense... I don't think so. I knew the brain couldn't possibly catch a fish that size. Just because he didn't fully digest the fish doesn't mean he received no nutrition out of the damsel. You assume I do everything by impulse and have read nothing regarding reef keeping. As I said the damsel was going in the toilet or in my brains stomach. That was my personal decision, not yours, and I made it as I saw fit. As for the oxygen comment that was my bad I was a little under the influence last night. Personal attacks are really uncalled for. You stated your opinion I stated mine so how about you just leave it at that.

This forum, and all forums, are full of opinions that may be different from yours so if you get so upset over seeing something you don't agree with maybe you should turn off your computer, shut yourself indoors, turn off the TV, and live your life with no human interaction. That way you would never hear or see anything that you disagree with. You took this pretty seriously, just calm down take a deep breath, and stop putting others down just for having a different opinion.

I respect your opinion and I'm sure you would have taken the damsel back to your LFS. Thats how you would have handled it not me and you need to understand that every second of the day there are millions of people doing things you disagree with and wouldn't do. Ok well this was long and I think everyone can understand our differing opinions. I just wanted everyone to see what I considered some unique pictures. So those who like it enjoy... those who think it was cruel continue on to another thread as this point has been argued on enough.

Archived