Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

newbie 12galDX owner

Big Concha

I'm starting out a new 12galDX and replaced the stock single nozzle with a Y line loc connector with two nozzles. I have added water to the tank, to check parameters and flow, with stock pump. Knowing that the stock pump wouldn't have sufficient flow because I split the nozzles, temps were fine. (let it sit with lights, pump, heater plug in for 11 hours). I will see what temps are like with lights off when I get home today. I been abusing the "search" button (lol) trying to find out more about replacing the stock powerhead. I looked into the MJ606, AquaGlobe, Rio, etc... I don't want to start which one is better thread. I woulld like to know what are people are using that has a split nozzle set up. I currently have the MJ606 sitting in a box that I haven't installed yet but, I may consider trying something with even more flow that would fit in the 3rd compartment.

-BC

I'm using a MJ 606 with a splitter and I'm not nearly as satisfied with the flow as I was with the Maxijet 1200. The only problem was that with so much lighting under my hood, my Maxijet made my temps fluctuate way too much. If you have stock lighting, try out the Maxijet and monitor your temps--I feel the flow from them on a splitter is perfect.

rbaby- Thanks for your input. After looking into the Maxijet 1200 specs, it puts almount double GPH than the MJ606. Their alot of variables that need to be considered but, at least I have a base line output to be looking out for. With ambient temps of +/- 70F during the 11 hour test I performed, my temps hit as high as 80F within the first 4 hours but, taking an average it more like 79F for the total 11 hours. With the same ambient temp, temps went down to 77F within 6 hours after I switched the lights off.

When looking for a high GPH powerhead I'm limited to the size of the 3rd chamber. You were able to put the MaxiJet 1200 in there?

What is ideal temp for a 12galDX NO SPS?

-BC

The safest way to answer that question in terms of temperature is: it's dependent on the natural habitat of the species that you will be keeping in it.

The logical way to look at it--my tank maintains at 77-79 degrees. Many people have their tanks at 82 degrees...just keep in mind that the hotter the water, the faster the coral metabolism is...the faster their growth. Now in a cube...since we don't want our corals to really outgrow our tanks too fast, 77-78 I think is a good idea for the DX.

If your temperature is fluctuating any more than 3-4 degrees...you're going to have a problem and should try to deal with this issue prior to adding corals. Temp fluctuations like that is enough to kill a coral from stress.

Without me expressing my temps down to the decimal point, I think my parameters are within 3-4 degrees. I'm a little confused and maybe you can explain but, you indicate that the MaxiJet made your temps 'fluctuate' other than you having so much lighting under your hood. Did the bigger pump just run your temps consistantly higher than you would like them to be or did it actually fluctuate more than 3-4 degrees? disregard this if this didn't make any sense... I may need to just take a nap LOL.

-BC

My ambient temp is about 70-75...pretty constant. My tank temperature was about 77-79 degrees variably...but when I put it in the tank...it starts out at 78...by midday it's about 82...and cools back down to 78...too big of a fluctuation for me. Because my lights at mid-day have already heated up my tank real good...it already adds a good amount of heat to an already hot tank from the lighting + more powerful pump. With 2 heat sources, the temp rises exponentially as opposed to a single source.

shao-lin nano

shrum:

is your rio 800 loud...i just got one as a second powerhead and it's crazy LOUD!!! im thinking of making it a wakter mixer and using a maxijet instead.

shrum- Do you have the RIO 800 in the 3rd chamber? Are you using the RIO 800 connected to a splitter nozzle?

-BC

I appreciate everyone that replied and provide some useful information. I decided I didn't want to re-create the wagonwheel, so I'm going with Plan B. I have been taking pics as this is coming together, so I will share them as soon as I get a chance.

-BC

Archived