SaltCritters.com

Id This Nudi

B16A2NR

PLEASE ID THIS NUDI. I hate wasting my time searching for nudi pics online, does any one know about this little guy? Really small about 1/4", I haven't seen him harm anything but want to be safe.

post-24-1109366234.jpg

if you've got zoos in your tank where you found this guy....you are in for a fight. all the zoo eating nudis i've ever had looked just like this punk. easiest method to get rid of them(if you see one....there are 20 more you havent seen) is to take out all the zoos and fw dip them with a good amount of lugols (50-80 drops per gallon of fw) and let them sit for 5-10 minutes....then swirl the zoos realllllll well in the water. that should take care of the baby nudis and the adult nudis. next thing to worry about is looking for egg cases....if you find any, scrape them off and dispose of them. most of the time these nudis look just like the zoos (or other soft coral) they are munching on. better safe than sorry with these guys, imo. let me know if you need any help todd. (check out muchoreef's nudi dip in the zoanthid forum at rc!)

Alright that officially sucks, hopefully hes the only one. I got some pretty crazy zoos in this tank now. I will take him off the glass while I can still find him.

Thanks!

If it is one of the zoo-eaters, be careful with it. I seem to recall reading something where someone ended up poisoned and in the hospital from accidentally squishing one of the nudis between his fingers or something. Maybe urban reef legend? Zoos are toxic though, so it makes sense that things that eat zoos are toxic too.

no, you're right gil...these guys are quite toxic! be careful not to accidentally suck one into your mouth todd! we can't very well go on with the guy who originated the name 'eagle eye' dying from ingesting a zoo eating nudi! keep an eye out at night or during the day for these guys crawling over the zoo heads.

LOL to funny yosho. I used about 15 feet of air tubing to make sure nothing got in my mouth. It wouldn't be the 1st time something crazy like that happened to me. On one occasion I was sitting at the table cutting zoo's off to mount on some rock. I was really focusing in on the zoo I was cutting off. The razor slipped smashing the zoo and squirting zoanthid bodily fluids directly into my eyes. I was so scared at first. I thought that was the end of my passion for reefs. Luckly I rinsed my eye out right away and nothing happened. Still scary though.

I think i have a(some) of these nudis too. My eagle eyes have died all of a sudden and a few days ago i saw a long clear worm looking thing on my eagle eyes, and just like that, a big patch are closed up, gone.

I gotta get some lugols.

Chris

wow...that's freaking lucky if you ask me! i always make sure to put on glasses or turn my head if i'm doing anything with zoos that might cause one to squirt.

freshwater dip your zoo's for 3-4 minutes...use turkey baster and blast them zoo's to knock out any nudis. The freshwater will kill them fast.

Also look for small spiral white beads (the eggs)...they'll be stuck on the head of the closed polyp...remove them asap cuz freshwater dipping wont kill them.

But there could be nudis hanging around on your LR, and they'll find your zoo's again, so at night w/ flashlight, inspect closed polyps and you'll likely find more nudis...suck em out w/ turkey baster or freshwater dip again. You'll eventually be rid of them...they are controllable if you stay vigilant.

and yes, that nudi is definitely the zoo-eating kind. :|

They eat small anemones. They're actually toxic because The immature stinging cells from the anemones are moved out into the outer projections on their body, where they mature.

• 2 weeks later...

These guys killed my monti cap, i saw about 4 on them tonight, and as expected, that monti is a gonner.

Freakin nudi.

Thanks for the heads up, that piece i lost was one of my favorites.

Chris

I had a bunch awhile back, killed my eagle eyes... look for zoos that're closed up, it's a pretty good indication there are nudis on them, just keep sucking em out until they're gone.

Yeah, thats where my problem started, do they "prey" on eagle eyes? what was once hundreds of polyps are now 20.

Bummer

Chris

they prey on whatever they are closest to. i never had any nudi problem up until about 6 months ago...then BOOM! nudis everywhere and all from a piece i bought at a lfs.

most people don't even know they have them till it's too late.

that really sucks about your cap chris. how long did it take for them to kill it? just curious cuz i had two caps rtn on me a few months back.

it seemed to go quick, the eagle eyes went first, and then shortly after, the monti cap. Id say total time was less than 2 weeks.

Is it just me, or do these things seem to prey on eagle eyes?

BKtomodachi

Hmmm... I'm actually fairly certain that they are very much species specific feeders. For example, one species will eat zoos (as specific sometimes as just one variety of zoos, or two), and another will eat monti caps.

where i do agree with BK as possibly having different species of nudis eating different types of coral(caps, zoos, etc.) i know that nudis that eat zoos...eat zoos. if they decimate one kind, do you think they're just gonna die off cuz they ate their one food source? no, they're gonna move on to the next available soft coral. you might think that they are specific to a certain variety of zoos because they take on the coloration of the coral they feed upon, but the truth of the matter is that they will eat nearly any soft coral(i found some eating my florida rics and some mushrooms as well all different kinds of zoos).

bottom line, they're bastards and the monti cap nudis are supposedly harder to kill off than the zoo nudis are. check out rc.com's zoanthid forum...there are a bunch of threads dealing with these nudis.

Archived