Top Shelf Aquatics

ZooMed Power Sweep ???

leslr

Hi FunSeekers.

Any one have any comments "good/bad" about the power-sweep.

I'm going to be getting one but have heard many conflicting comments. ie: noisey,bulky,lousey flow rates,many break downs, etc etc etc.

TIA.

leslr.

Pros : *chirp* *chirp*......

Cons : bulky, low flow rates, heavy, the gears that actuate the moving bind/strip/break almost always, NOT EVEN close to maintenance free:*(

I'd get something else for sure.....

Cameron

I had one I used for a few months, but there proved to be too much maintenance involved (taking a PH apart on a weekly basis is just too big a pain). The gears get jammed if anything gets in there.

I don't have one, but the I think RIO makes something you slip over the end of the PH that creates some motion (I think they also fit the maxijets). Its almost like a pin wheel attachment. Its for sale a Marine Depot and you can see a picture (albeit not very good) at http://www.riopump.com/pages/motion.html

HTH

Ed

The Rio motion thing is a cool idea in theory but the application is a whole different story. They damn things are so big and you need a ton of room to allow the dang thing to spin......

Cameron

ugh.... X)

I like them.......

when they stop rotating, it creates a random FIXED current.

they have just file flowrates, they have an adjustable slide.

the prefilter is nice too. my only dislike is the ######ty suction cups.

Ive not had any problems witht he sweeps. I actualy have about 40 of them in service.... only one has died because of impeller lock up (was ran dry)

the company has replaced many of the gears with upgraded Stainless steel pins in them, they work muck smoother.

PS:

OH AND ALL POWERHEADS SHOULD BE MAINTNANCED ONCE A MONTH AT THE MINIMUM...... lest ya blow one and reduce its effectiveness and increase drag.... whick in turn creates more draw on amperage and restart hang-ups.

Stupids. :P

ps: J/K on the stupids...

ive had 2 power sweeps in my 100 for almost a yr now with no probs, i do take em apart on a monthly basis for maint. but the ones i have in my tank have never stopped sweepin, maybe thats due to the metal pin instead of the ones that have a plasitc pin that drives the sweeper, some do some dont just open the box an check

For the record:

ZooMed PowerSweep 214 stopped sweeping in less than 2 months - routine maintenance was done every 14 days or so.

Ack. ZooMed PowerSheep

adinsxq

Let me get this straight -

It's a 360 thing that rotates on water current (fr. PH) alone? No gearing to malfunction? Mebbe I should get one of them gadgits for my Powersheeep.

Heh, then when the sweep function finally kicks in again, it'll be a whirling 360.

the axis is a swivel and the rotation is powered by slightly tilting the two outputs in oposite directions. nothing to malfunction; it's just plastic. you can fit it to any powerhead actually. i've seen it done on other makes/models. just get some of that flexible tubing and use a small piece to connect the two (powerhead and the thing) together. i think you know what i mean. if you put it on a sweeping powerhead i guess that'll make the closest to the ideal "random water motion" because it'll oscillate back and forth horizontally as well as the 360 motion. i'd try it, but like i said... tank's too small. anyone?

edit: like ed said, http://www.riopump.com/pages/motion.html

edit again: that picture in the link by the way is stupid. the water would rotate it in the direction opposite of what is depicted

Long-time nano-reefer, first-time in your forum.

My favorite feature of the Powersweep line is the built in heater. If your tank is small enough (we are all nano-reefers right?) you don't even need a heater.

Seriously though, i've used just about every type of PH and have never seen one that threw so much heat. But if you're interested in installing a chiller or moving to a colder climate, go for it.

Just a take on the powersweep i hadn't heard anywhere yet. Thoroughly enjoying the info.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Found out why my ps214 stopped rotating...

One of my Sea Bunnies squeezed through the gap near the flow controller - at least most of him did.

Butt sticking out, the head must've got slammed, slapped, spanked, poked and all around thrashed in there.

And then there was 4...

Originally posted by ajroahkni

For the record:

ZooMed PowerSweep 214 stopped sweeping in less than 2 months - routine maintenance was done every 14 days or so.

Ack.  ZooMed PowerSheep

EDIT : Insert foot in mouth..... :D

I found a Seabunny stuck in it.

resumed sweeping I assume? :D

• 3 weeks later...

I previously (few months back) posted that I had just bought a pair and raved about them after 24 hrs of ownership. Then I posted about 2 months later that I was sick of every other day maintenance. Here is my third, and probably final posting. The benefit derived from the powersweep is great. Namely random current surges. Especially with two. I have a 28 bow front. I realize this tank is bigger than most of the nanos here. The suction cups stink. But there is a way to make them work. First place all four of the cups on the bracket, not the PH itself. Second vigorously clean the glass where the bracket will be attached. I use the supplied prefilter material as a scrubby. Watch out on acrylic. Squish the bracket on until the cups are well attached. Attach the prefilter. Place the PH into the well on the bracket. Think of a cup into a shallow cup holder. Do not use the small piece supplied that attaches the PH to the bracket. All it does is create annoying vibration noise. A way to minimize the number of times you will have to disassemble this unit (and you will my friend) is to plunk it in a container of vinegar and run it submerged in the vinegar for about 5 minutes. Then run it briefly in fresh water. This seems to dissolve any buildup in the gearing. The prefilter seems like a necessity. Kind of like an air filter on a car. As other people mentioned this unit will throw a huge amount of heat into your tank. My heater never turns on. If your tank is in your bedroom look elswhere for a PH as this one sounds like a small dorm room fridge as it gently hums away. My tank is in the family room and my kids overwhelm any and all white noise emitted by the tank. But the sight of gently swaying Xenia, Capnella, and other soft corals makes the maintenace headaches go away. Usually. Sometimes beer helps too. Me, not the PH.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived