Innovative Marine Aquariums

Move over Remora and Bak Pak

DIYDude

Ive kept this skimmer low key for a while since i was pursuing the idea of putting a patent on it but after a while i just didnt have the time to pay the fees needed and really the main problem was what to do after the patent. These are not easy to make and doing it all myself was way too time consuming. So im just releasing the design to the public and offering anyone dimensions and whats needed to make this skimmer.

The overall design was to increase dwell time by adding internal baffles to slow the bubbles rise to the top. Its worked well and the only major modification im going to do is put the powerhead inside the skimmer in the next revision. Any questions feel free to ask me.

Hmmmm.....very cool. Looks like it works and it's a cool idea. The one thing, which may be really hard to do, would be to try and increase the bubble concentration. Looks like a killer idea:D

Cameron

Can you post some plans/partlist? BTW, your second post is having several picture errors. Looks like a pretty innovative way of increasing dwell time though.

NCNBill ill take a pic of that later. Its a collection cup similar to the remora but it is adjustable and uses a small baffle to capture microbubbles.

Lingwendil Ill write up the parts list for you. I have corrected the bad pics.

Madtownmax, this is the prototype and the baffles are permanent. Ive designed a removable baffle system that is similar to the cpr's bubble trap. So that baffles can be taken out for cleaning.

DIY...looks awesome man! i was wondering when you were gonna 'finish' this! i kept thinking to myself...man, he's sure taking his time on this one.

can't wait to see the finished plans so i can try my hand at making one.

Undertheradar

Interesting implementation of an old idea...to increase dwell time that is. I never tried it because I always felt that bubbles would be hitting the baffles and causing problems...like accumulating into larger bubbles, disrupting the protein oxidation process by doing so, etc. It looks like it works!...and doesnt require a 6 foot tower to do it either. Something many MFGs do to increase dwell time w/o the height however it to use 6" or larger diameter pipe and make the inside spin like a tornado (directing the pump outlet sideways to force the spiral)...forcing the bubbles to stay along the outer wall of the skimmer alot longer than a regular skimmer without needing alot of height or baffles. Much easier to make as well which I can see would be a major cost with yours (all you need is a half foot of 6" acrylic pipe). It tends to outperform other methods because it allows a bubble to stay in circulation as long as it needs to until it binds with protein and floats out...your design, along with tall narrow skimmers, have a predetermined exposure no matter what...the time it takes for a bubble to go from bottom to top. A cyclone can keep the bubble as long as the bubble doesnt float to the top (the bubbles that have binded with proteins are lighter than w/o).

But I have to give you major points because you made something that just looks cool...

yoshiod, thanks for compliments.

Undertheradar. It would be interesting to see if there's a way to combine the two with a cyclonic action and the baffles. Not sure if its possible but it would be pretty cool to see :)

Undertheradar

There is no point to combine the two. The 'cyclone' effect negates the need for baffles. Instead of using baffles to extend the contact time, centrifugal force keeps them in suspension. I believe TUNZEs operate on this idea.

I made one once a while back for a guy who challenged me to make a skimmer that could skim a 65g, yet only take up 10" of height at the most. I made it 9"....and used an 8" wide cast cylinder for the main chamber and collection cup. I am trying to find the pics I took of it (not digital or I would have had them by now)...maybe a diagram would be better.

Nobody get me wrong, Im not dissin' this design. I never thought it would work...but you made it! As far as making a skimmer that is that narrow and not 8' tall...you have the ticket.

I noticed in my 'nano inection skimmers' that the riser area had a rolling tumbler area where bubbles would rise fast near the injector side and then get sucked back down on the far side to get recycled over and over again. It made me think of this...a "vertical cyclone" if you will...

Undertheradar

I cant imagine it working as well as a horizontal layout, but it sure is interesting...more complicated than my idea...but I think I know why...I think I will build this after my next trip to the plastics supplier (gonna need some 10" cylinders for this one...jsut a 2" wide...but I dont have that large laying around)

Id be interested to see your final product. My idea would be to make smaller concentric circles as you get close the the outlet just to increase the dwell time a little.

• 5 months later...
Undertheradar

That was the idea of making a larger diameter skimmer and giving it a 'spin'. I have found that recirculating skimmers seem to be a much better way of increasing contact time. The water can be restricted in its throughput, yet processed multiple times with the mixing pump before it can leave. It really works.

Archived