Innovative Marine Aquariums

Live rock selections. Need your opinions.

jasno999

What do you guys think about with this setup for my 10 gallon tank. gain this is a new tank. This is what I am lookign at purchasing.

I want to use www.exoticfish.com to purchase my LR and LS and I am looking at:

5 lbs. of Fiji Live Rock Premium Grade

5 lbs. of Marshall island premium grade Live Rock

3 lbs. of Fiji Ultra Grade Live ROck

2 lbs. of Tonga Branch Live Rock

5 lbs of Live sand to go with the crushed coral I already have in the tank.

Am I mixing it up too much or does this work? Should I stick with just two types? Let me know what you guys think.

I don't know anything about the quality of the LR on exoticfish.com, but I can highly recommend the "Nano Live Rock" from premiumaquatics.com.

My LR was top-notch grade with tons of encrusted coralline, peanut worms, feather dusters and many more hitchhikers. I guess many here agree that the rock from Premium Aquatics is probably the best rock that you can get over the Internet.

I even took a chance and chose 2-day shipping and I had virtually no-die off and my tank cycled in as little as a week.

So they are the best. I liked the branch tonga stuff but I guess I c an get a 3rd of each type. Wil they pick pieces that will work well for a new setup 10 gallon. I mean if I call will they work with me and help me out???

I have to say the other place is cheaper and I have heard good things about the other place but they have nto returned my e-mail as of late.

well, like with any place over the internet, you cannot really choose the pieces. however, they come in a wide variety, so you have tons of options to aquascape.

the nano pieces are a little smaller than the "normal-sized" rocks and it is really a pain to find the perfect fit, but in the end it looks just much better than the usual pile-of-rocks aquascaping.

I just ordered from exoticfish last week. I got 5 pounds each of tonga, marschall, and fiji. i also got 15 lbs of sand. overall, i was very happy. the branched was especially nice. the other two types were one big piece, and i had to break it with a hammer to make it work. however, it is easier to break a big piece than glue small ones together. the rock was pretty cured, no problems. couple of hitchhikers, there are pics in my profile if you want to see them. i have since aquascaped them differently. the different shapes were somewhat hard to match. it might have been a little easier with one type of rock, but i wanted some variety. overall i was happy. i got priority ON shipping, and it was fast. it was packaged very welol, no smell. i'll be happy to answer any other questions.

ps. there is another thread exactely like this here

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...20&pagenumber=1

do a search.

i've seen and bought jeff's lr, but not premium. jeff's lr is better than your average lfs. i've read good things about premium. either way you go i'm sure you'll be satisfied. the fresher the lr is the better it'll look in your tank. did you even consider dr. mac because of closer shipping? i also have some of his lr, which also is very good. you'll find the same vendors mentioned again and again because generally their stuff is very satisfactory. hurry up and buy the lr, you won't get ripped off.

I ordered by 20 lbs of tonga deep water LR from Jeff's. I'm pretty happy with. Some corraline algae (mostly on only one of the pieces though), very nice shapes, and some hitchikers. So far, I've seen pods, a feather duster, what I think is a barnacle, and what I think are called hydroid jellyfish (look like purple/pink dots with lots of legs on the glass...almost like starfish but more legs). Anyway, mine didn't require much curing at all. If everything checks out today, I'm planning to add my cleaning crew.

my lfs sells flordia rock and i love it so id say go with tampa bay saltwater. flordia rock is amazingly alive, i have a bunch of muscles and oysters that came with the rock and it is teaming with life

Well I went with Jeff's Exotic cause the shipping was much less expensive (go figure they are further away).

The rock came and it looks pretty good. Only isse was they forgot to send the live sand I ordered. So I called and they said they would send it out free of charge but I hope I see it today. If nto I am goign to be quite upset.

Archived