SaltCritters.com

How Can One Person Be This Lucky? !!!!!must Read ! !!!!

scott6480

I am going to take this story from the begining. it starts off i visit my friends house and sit in awe in front of his 72gallon master mega reef. So I decide to I need one of these in my house. I scour around the internet and decide on the 24 gallon nano cube dx ... perfect size looks great..

Find one moderatly priced on ebay, for sale by Chris Jung.

Paid for it.. counted the days untill it arivied. Finally get it.. box is a bit tattered, no problem... insepect it broken bulbs. No big deal Chris told me he would replace them, and I was not going to light the tank while i cycled it.

Moving on, I get it filled with sand and then I am putting the water in the tank and about gallon #4 i start hearing a dripping sound.... OH ######!

(Leaking Nano Cube)

Rush the tank out ot my patio no big deal.

Contact Chris (who was way more than helpful with this situation) We agreed that ups was not a good way to ship the tank. He refunded me and I bought one locally.

Here is where it gets GOOD! set the tank up with 15lbs of gulf Rock. The tank was starting to really take shape.

After a nice dinner tonight I am sitting home reading threads in the forum when all of a sudden I hear what I can only closely describe as a GUNSHOT. After I realize I hadn't been shot I heard the ever so familliar sound of dripping water! Wait no let me rephrase that... NIGRA FALLS. I turn 180 in my chair and look on the table behind my desk to see this

P1010067.sized.jpg

Ohhh what a night it has been it is 2:34 am and I finally got things cleaned up to the best of my ability and needless to say I am FURIOUS! X)

I guess my question is this.. has this happened to anyone else? I think I have pretty much lost faith in the NanoCube.

I am dying to hear what everyone else has to say about their nanocubes / my situation.

I am not sure if I even want to attempt with another cube or even another tank.

What if I hadn't been sitting right here.. 24 gallons of salt water is not good anywhere but in the tank.

OHHH WHAT A NIGHT F it I am going to bed.

By the way you can see the other pictures of my tank when it was in good working ouder at Stray-kat.com

Sorry to hear about the tank, dude. As you noted, at least you were there to catch it when it happened. I'm impressed that you were able to snap a quick shot of the leak. =)

Don't lose faith, dude! Get an acrylic tank and you'll never have to worry about such breakage.

oh, did you happen to have any of the LR touch the glass? any LR leaning against it? that could definitely lead to the situation described above.

I thought the nano cube dx was acrylic? Is that not so?

as for the rock it was all centered in the tank and everyhting looked like it was in place when water started pouring out.

i can't figure out why it cracked. The tank temperature was hovering between 77- 79 deg. and room temperature is very close to the same. about 78 deg.

Scott,

Its Chris

JBJ's number is 310 672 0480. Tell them this is the Second Broken Tank, different vendor.. DAMN..

Sorry Scott for the awful luck..

Chris

I know its highly unlikely this happened but I have heard of mantis shrimps being able to break aquarium glass. I'm not sure why one would try to do it but its just a thought.

Earl

Wow! And you had the clarity of mind to reach for your camera and take a picture of it? I'd be throwing every piece of clothing I owned on the floor trying to soak up the mess. :)

I hope this doesn't deter you from the hobby though.

like everyone else...i'm shocked as hell that you took the time to take a picture. sorry bout the tank man. maybe you should try an acrylic or a standard tank this time. goodluck!!!

I sat there in sheer disbelief this was happeneing. then i noticed it was soaking my camera that was sitting on the desk next to the tank. (its a standard desk with a black formica top just grabbed a 4 foot level from the garage font to back it is level and also left to right) I picked it up and opened it. tankfull it still worked.. then snapped a picture.. By that time the tank was allready draining into a 5 gallon bucket on the floor.

I would you love to buy a "normal" tank but i am going to be closing on a new house arond june 05. I am not sure if i want to deal with moving a setup any bigger than a cube.

What other small tank setups are out there in the 20-30 gallon range that are acrylic?

I would love to stay with this hobby it is just very discouraging at this time.

This also makes me question the reliability of the 7gallon minibow i have setup in my office.

WOW I am shocked the tanks popped like that...I had a nano 12ga for almost months with no issues...maybe jbj is skimping on the quality of the glass these days and going to some cheap ass third world produced junk??? Hard to say...Don't be discouraged, just move to a better made standard tank/bowfront tank, or like some are saying, an acrylic tank (be careful as hell with that one as they scratch super easy). It is a sweet hobby to be in and aside from your "RARE" happenings, it is pretty safe and easy once you are up and running. And yeah, a mantis can and will do that to a glass tank, especially in a weak spot, but it would have to be pretty long to get up that high and punch it.

call these people, for the price you paid for the cube you could have got these people to build your tank, it looks like quality work and they aer really polite. My new 20 is coming from there, they are really reasonable on the pricing also. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=4346528499 I called them and got a quote. I can get a 20L with 1 overflow and 2 returns for 115, good deal i think, it is more if you want the bent edges and a background color, but I can get what i want for real reasonable of a price

I think I have you beat.... I'm on nano #4!

I searched all over for a nano finally found one...drove all the way out there to get it, brought it home, opened it and the tank was cracked... bad shipping no biggie right?

Returned that one found another one at another store bought it, brought it home filled it up late that night....woke up the next morning w/ 12g. of saltwater on my floor!

I was furious too I had ran all over hell trying to find these damn cubes and bought LR, LS, and live water all to have it soak my carpet.

I hadn't given up just yet everyone was very appologetic and the pet store had just recieved a new order of them in so I returned it for one more and the pet store surprisingly gave me new LS, and water.

Took that one home and had no problems for ~2 mo. (maybe 3). Then one day I hear a boom and the light goes out. Ballast? Bulb? no clue but the pet store exchanged mine and now I'm on tank #4

To top that.. .this morning when I woke up I flipped on the light and the light wouldn't come on....a few hours later I come into the living room and the light was on.

This is my last tank if this one goes. I hate to leave the hobby after trying to enter the SW world via the nano's

Anyone beat that?

omg man sorry about your tank!

I can't believe the first thing you did when you turned around was take a picture though!!!!

I'd be freakin out about the tank first and not even think about "capturing the moment"

haha

Wow, that really blows. Judging by the number of people on this board using nano cubes, it seems this must be a rare occurance. Nevertheless, I'd opt for a different tank. Perhaps a custom built one to your likings. I had a LFS custom build me an acrylic 20 high show tank, curved edges and one of those permanent backgrounds... looks sweet. Just a suggestion...

Please don't give up, it seems you just had a stroke of bad luck, I've been in the fish tank keeping since I was 5 or 6, and have never had a tank crack/break before.

Archived