SaltCritters.com

Power Sweep

JPF

I installed a Zoo Med Power Sweep 228 wavemaker in my 28 bow front. It moves 270 GPH and the inhabitants of the tank just love it! The xenia and capnella are extending quite far and swaying in the current. The sole fish, a fiji damsel, bobs around looking quite natural. My gorgonians have their polyps extended all the time to fee. Before they only extended about half the time. The pump does have a low mmmmmmmmm to it.. My tank is in the TV room and not the bedroom so that faint "refridgerator" hum isn't bothersome. But I bet it would make you nuts in a bedroom. Lets hope it keeps running long term. The whole tank really looks like it has a surge device flushing water in and out of it. The rock is piled in the middle so water can move completely around the reef pile. A friend said he thought it looked like it belonged in a zoo display. Quite a compliment.

Jim

I LOVE my sweeps.... even when they stop sweeping occasionaly fer any lenght of time, I cant beat them with a stick.. they are reliable, eazy to clean and the sponge pree filter is great. I just wished the suction cups were better..

i like my zoomed also but i quit runningt the sponge prefilter because bristleworms were crawling into it and getting stuck and dying causing high nitrates. it hardly ever clogs even without the filter though.

I found with my small sweeps I think 212 or 14's (not shure) that if you push on the little white bushing on top this would make it quit hummmming so bad. but not to hard. also one of mine with the old all plastic gears don't sweep at all any more. o yeh where you adjust the flow they will suck up the small fish and kill them i've had that happen 2 times.

i hate my 212 and have been considering getting rid of it for a maxi 404. I have the 212 in a 5 gallon bow, and while my torch seems to like the sweeping action, the damn thing heats my water up ALOT. I think i'll get the maxi and throw one of my extra wave makers on it. that should be the next best thing.

also the powersweeps are too big and obtrusive to look nice in a nano, maybe i'll put it back in the 20 for a while.

Would Not recommend getting Power Sweeps...

I've Tried all four sizes in my 29g Bow, and the 228 (the biggest) was the only one that gave exceptable results - BUT it started freezing every couple of days (three days after i got it) - now while i could get it to start "sweeping" again... it definatly wasn't going to be working for long - i returned them, and am saving up for a wavemaker - not sure on the make yet

just my 2cents.

I saved the box and receipt. I had heard of the lack of reliability. But If it works, great! If it doesn't I will buy an expensive wave controller and decide which power heads to run with it. I love the wave action too much after snorkling in the keys and seeing a reef first hand.

JPF

Archived