Innovative Marine Aquariums

How to post gallery pics into your forum thread...

Tigahboy

This thread will cover how to post pictures into a thread using IMG codes.

If you want to post multiple pics and have more freedom w/ size of pictures, first you must upload the picture file from your harddrive to a picture hosting website/server.

I've found that a lot of photo hosting websites (eg. Yahoo Picture Albums) prevent you from using the uploaded pics on other websites, so better and easier to simply upload HERE on nano-reef.com in the GALLERY section.

The Gallery Section will basically store your picture files for you, and your pics will each have its own URL address (this is like a label on a file folder and knowing what it is called will be necessary for its retrieval in this enormous filing cabinet we call the "internet.")

So here's how you upload pictures into the Gallery section of nano-reef.com:

1. Click on "Gallery"

upl1.jpg

2. You should see this page. Click on "Upload Photos."

upl2.jpg

3. Click on "Browse." This will let you look thru your harddrive for picture file you want to upload.

upl3.jpg

4. Look for the picture file on your computer.

upl5.jpg

5. Then press OK or click on the file. Be sure to resize your photos so they aren't too big. Pictures straight from a digital camera will likely be too big. Also, don't use funky symbols (eg. $, #, %, @) to name your file. ONLY letters and numbers or else an error may occur.

upl6.jpg

6. The pathway to get to your picture should now be displayed in the field left of the "browse" button. Press "Upload" button.

upl7.jpg

7. This page will then show up. Fill out the relevant information and press "Process File."

upl9.jpg

8. When you get this page, that means you have successfully uploaded and can now view it or use it to post in a thread. To view, click on "My Gallery" and to post a pic, see below.

upl10.jpg

And once again, the instructions below use pics uploaded onto nano-reef's Gallery section as an example b/c most of you have already uploaded pics to the Gallery anyway.

1) So after you have already uploaded the photos you want to the Gallery, go find the page where your photo is located...it should look like the pic below....

y1.jpg

2) W/ mouse right click on the picture...then highlight and click w/ left mouse button: "Properties"

y2.jpg

3) This pop-up should appear.

y3.jpg

4) Highlight the URL (address).

y4.jpg

But be sure to get ALL of it...usually it will only show the first 2 lines, so you have to keep highlighting and moving a little downward on mouse to see if there's anything more...there is w/ the picture here.

5) Once it is all highlighted like below. Press "Ctrl" then while holding it, press "C".

y5.jpg

Then maybe open up Notepad program or Word document program so you can paste it somewhere for easy retrieval. When you get to the blank document, press "Ctrl" then while holding it, press "V" and that should paste the address into your document.

Now that you have identified and obtained the exact URL address for your photo, you may now place it within a forum thread...

1) Start by going to the thread you would like to post in...And push the "Post Reply" button at bottom of your thread...

y6.jpg

It should take you here. Now press the IMG button as shown:

y7.jpg

This pop-up should then show up.

y8.jpg

2) Now you want to paste (Ctrl + V) the address into the text box as shown here:

y9.jpg

3) Then push the "OK" button...

y10.jpg

Now it should automatically add the "" image codes around the address you provided. You could've just typed it around them as well. It should look like the text in this pic. And of course you can add any other text you'd like or more pics into this posting area:

y12.jpg

4) Then you can either push "Preview Reply" to take a look at how it would turn out when posting...and you can make any changes you want before you actually post...or just post directly by pushing "Submit Reply" button.

y13.jpg

That's it. Now you got your gallery pic in the thread.

y14.jpg

Hope that helps. Sorry for the overly simplistic instructions. Just not sure what part of the process is unclear for folks...so just included everything.

*There is also an "attach file" option for those who simply want to attach a picture file directly from one's harddrive into a forum thread rather than uploading first. --> But then you can only post ONE picture at a time and there will be limitations on file size.

And you can only do above for nano-reef.com gallery pics to nano-reef.com forum threads. So you can't use pics hosted on nano-reef's server to post in other forums like RC and such...

But you can do the above w/in any other forum so long as you have the picture uploaded in the other forum's photo gallery or uploaded on a general web host.

*clap clap*

nice step by step instructions. i hope people will somehow find this thread before asking "how do i post pictures" :)

mods should make this a sticky ... or not :)

Haha. well I already posted this in someone's thread, so I figure why let it go to waste.

I wish I could change the subject name tho, to just "How to post pictures" instead tho so beginners won't think it's just about how to post gallery pics when seeing the thread title. =/

Okay! Back to studying now for me!

Originally posted by EtOH_is_good

since you posted mutiple pics on the same post, i guess that is the way to also post multiple pics.

That's correct...as mentioned in the caption for the 6th picture in Part 2:

Now it should automatically add the "" image codes around the address you provided. You could've just typed it around them as well. It should look like the text in this pic. And of course you can add any other text you'd like or more pics into this posting area:

But there is a limit to how many photos you can post in one post (not sure exactly how many, but obviously more than 8.)...that's why I had to split up the instructions into basically 2 parts.

Hey Tigahboy, how about those pictures you put on the bottom. The pictures of your "tangs galore"? Is that in your signature section? How do you add those pictures there?

Haha...okay...I'll do a signature picture tutorial as well...That should be easy enuf to explain, and uchiha himself actually showed me the ropes w/ that one. Just let me finish this assignment and I'll do it after my classes, cool?

Spongebob12000

hell yeah, I already asked how to post pics about 2 weeks ago and got that answered by kelpie but still couldn't figure out how you guys were getting more than 1 pic in each thread or reply. Now I finally know! Thank you for the help I was eventually gonna ask for.

So you want a little "picture thingy" (avatar) under your username, rite? Well here's how:

1. Let's start from the nano-reef "Message Board" page...Now click "user cp"

av2.jpg

2. Now you are in the user cp area - click "Edit Options."

av3.jpg

3. You are now in your "edit options" page...scroll down...

av4.jpg

4. Side-note: notice the 3 check marks? Just make sure all 3 are checked off...or else you won't be able to do any of this fun picture stuff...now press "Change Avatar."

av5.jpg

5. The first section you will see provides already-made avatars free for your use.

So many options! You could be an Elegant Yellow Tang, Feisty Royal Gramma, Calm and collected Seahorse...etc etc. Just think to yourself, "which avatar truly defines the real me?" Then you can just go ahead and select one and go directly to the bottom of the page and select "Submit Modifications."

av7.jpg

6. But chances are, you'll probably want to choose a more "unique" avatar. So all you have to do first is prepare one (i.e. take a picture you like and use photo editing software to shrink/crop it down to the the appropriate size).

Then just say "yes" to "Use Custom Avatar" and press the "Browse" button to upload the picture from your computer.

av8.jpg

7. Now you can look for your avatar picture file in your computer, select then press "Open." Remember, the picture file must NOT exceed a maximum of 100x100 pixels or 8,1920 bytes (whichever is less).

av9.jpg

8. Now you will see the picture file name, and its relative location in your computer, in the space adjacent to the "Browse" button. Now you're good to go...so push "Submit modifications."

av10.jpg

9. If you did everything correctly, you will get this page for a couple seconds...then you can now go to any thread that you've posted in to see if it appears under your username.

av11.jpg

10. Like this..

av12.jpg

Now you're done...congratz. and remember, although this forum is all about sharing info and photos with each other...please don't use someone else's custom-made avatar w/o their permission...it's just plain rude! (you know who you are, buddy)

Secondly, if you need more info about avatars...you could go to the most logical place: the nano-reef FAQ section

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived