inTank Media Baskets

Something bit me!!!

Marine

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, probably a mantis. All they could do is break your bones or skin. You wont die. Although in case you do, I have nothing to do with this.

lol. it was probably a mantis shrimp, which are not poisonous, but could give you one hell of a nasty paper cut, or if he's big enough, he could've lopped off your entire finger, consider yourself lucky ;)

i'd do partial water changes once a day until the blood is gone.

just for reference, mantis shrimps don't bite, they slice with their claws.

i dont have a camera. does anyone live around jenks oklahoma?

my finger is fealing better, but how can i get my tank cleaned out. if I break it down....how do i get the livestock out?

ok i got my barbeque tongs and pulled out the rock he was in. then i found him in a shallow hole and tried to pull him out with twezzers but i pulled of his eye and hes still in there

u can tell if it was a mantis shrimp or not...........was there any clicking noises coming from ur tank recently.........has ur livestock been dying off for no reason.........u can get him out of the rocks with some carbonated soda of some sort.......i would say seltzer cxuz its safer but if ur going to beat it with a hammer just grab a can of sprite and pour it in the rock thats he is in aslong as the rock isnt in your tank........

Disinfect the wound as best you can immediately. Rubbing alcohol, iodine, hydrogen peroxide, or in a pinch, vodka. I would soak it no matter the pain for a few seconds just to make sure you kill any bacteria that could invade your system. The chances are low, but you can get some nasty diseases from your tank.

It sounds/looks like a mantis (slasher kind) by your description.

Good luck and keep and eye on the cut. If red lines start to form on your hand and arm, go to the ER immediately regardless if you have insurance or not! Check for fever and swelling.

Nope, go for it. Won't hurt.

Also, if you have isolated the bugger to a hole, try and shoot some soda water in the hole with a baster. It should shoot outta there. Or you could blast it with boiling water in a syringe...

heh, the vodka is okay I swear! It is 40% alcohol hich is what you want. Just pour some over the wound if that's all you got and take it!!!

awww did I fall for another one??? I am such a loser...

Archived