Innovative Marine Aquariums

Small CPR Aquafuge on a 5.5 (pics + writeup)

Darold

I just got my CPR Aquafuge today. Since I was never able to find a good documentation of it online, I will post all the pics I took and write a short writeup for it. I will also have a few questions at the bottom of this page. Since I can only post a few pictures per thread, I will have to do this in separate posts.

Here is the setup before I installed it:

P8240010.jpg

P8240007.jpg

The Aquafuge comes with a Rio pump to move the water up into the aquafuge. The connection for this can be seen on the right side of the refugium. There is a valve that allows you to set the flow rate. I decided to set it on to 2/3rds open. There is a baffle near the intake to help calm the water.

I added roughly 2.5-3 inches of live sand to the lower end and up to 4 inches in the higher end. I am hoping that this DSB will help lower nitrate levels. I also added some macro for the same reason. There was plenty of room for my heater, and since the main tank is getting filled up with powerheads, I decided this would help keep things as clean as possible. The refugium was so big I had to get rid of my mechanical filter. I replaced the filter with a powerhead to retain the amount of flow I had.

Here is what the refugium looks like on the tank:

P8240016.jpg

P8240020.jpg

P8240023.jpg

P8240034.jpg

As you can see there is little room for anything else. I will need to have a custom piece of glass or plexi made to fit the tubing perfectly. Also, I broke my original glass top today, and in case you were wondering, a 5.5 glass top just barely fits into place, but I would recommend getting one custom cut.

I ended up using a Philips Marathon Bulb. It uses 20w of power, but outputs 75w and 1,200 lumens. Is this a good bulb for growing macro? I plan on getting a better lamp for this bulb though.

Side:

P8240024.jpg

Front:

P8240030.jpg

Looking through:

P8240037.jpg

I plan on keeping the water level slightly lower than usual in case the power goes off. This should prevent the main tank from overflowing. I also added a medium sized blue legged hermit to the refugium. I will be adding a turbo or two as well in a few days.

Questions:

Is this going to be good lighting for macro?

Is there anything I can put into the refugium to help it or even to just have something fun to look at that wouldn't do well in the main tank?

Is there anything I forgot to do or say?

-I hope this has been a helpful post for anyone considering this refugium.

Deleted User 8530

Well one. PAINT the back! 2 It looks Good (like Aquascaping and Corals) Also I think the Light looks Like it is 27000k. I dont Know if thats OK for The Fuge but i would Play it Safe and buy a 19w Twisty Bulb From home Depot for 8ish Bucks :)

Why would the bulb not be ok? Too strong or not strong enough?

I would like to paint the back of the tank, but am not sure if that will keep the light from coming in. Also, I have to admit, I kind of enjoy looking through the tank to see the 'fuge. Currently I am just running the 'fuge light at the same time as the main tank, only 30minutes earlier and later to give a little dawn/dusk action.

I ended up taking out the rotating powerhead, and I think I still have enough water movement throughout the tank.

And of course, thank you for the compliment.

very nice...i agree paint the back, it will look better and bring out the corals more and not let the light come in from the fuge....easy solution for the fuge light...first get rid of the lamp, if you have a petco or petland dicounts or petsmart, buy a screw in light fixture.12"...then go to walmart and buy a 65ook flourecent bulb they sell in the fish section and you are set...total cost 15.00...

Use a black vinyl sticker instead of paint. That way if you dont like it, you can remove it.

Also, the fuge light should be running 24hrs a day. I would look into getting a small 13w Jalli light. It would sit on top and do the job quite nicely.

-Justin

I love the idea of getting a Vinyl sticker. I definately plan on changing the lighting, but I am not sure exactly what I am going to switch to. There are so many options that I am trying not to be overwhelmed. Thank you all for the informative posts.

Darold Im going to be honest with you. I have no idea what those refug.. things are for but I have heard that they are very beneficial. How much was your's and where did you get from again? It looks alot easier than having a big 20 gallon one in the bottom of your tank i tell you. Very cool looking tank.

Mine cost around $90. There are DIY options that most people prefer, but I did not have the time or the tools for a DIY project. Here is the website I ordered from: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...dProduct=CR1731

A refugium does several things:

1) Provides more total water volume. This helps to prevent drastic changes from occuring.

2) Provides a non-turbulent area to grow 'pods. Your fish (and some corals?) eat these.

3) Allows you to hide your heaters and possibly other items like a protein skimmer if the design allows for it.

4) A place seperate from your main tank to grow macro algae. Also a not so visible place to keep a DSB (Deep sand bed) if you do not like the look of one in your main tank. These help you to lower or reduce your nitrate and phospate levels. The lower water flow in the refugium helps with the denitrification as well (or so I have been told).

5) Anything I missed? Bragging rights? j/k

I think that refugiums are very helpfull for larger tanks, but even more helpfull in nano's. Hope this helps.

Sorry, Photobucket (my image server), decided to go down. This has happened before. Check back either tomorrow or in a few days. They should be working again in no time.

I too just set a hang on fuge for my 20 but i got mine for ebay for $45 (had to glue it together my self, wasnt bad). My lighting i used the clamp on lights that come with the little betta tanks (the square deal with the mini filter and light)., I use it on a FOWLR.

Cesar, the device could not be more "plug-and-play." It had no drilling at all. Adjusting the supports by hand twisting them was the most amount of work I had to deal with.

For your background, buy a peice of black foam board and cut it to size. If you cut it the right size it will fit nice and snug. Otherwise a little tape will hold it on.

I'd suggest drilling a small anti-siphon hole (3/32") in the top of the inlet and then you can run your water level in the main tank up near the black trim.

I love mine!

Archived