Top Shelf Aquatics

My new 16g Bowfront

CT nano reefer

CT nano reefer

not much to look at, but just the lights and the tank. after so much success with my jbj nano cube, I just had to have another small tank..just got done hanging the lights from the ceiling! its a AGA 16g bowfront (my dream nano ), with the aqua medic ocean light 150w HQI pendant.. i got it with the AB 20k bulb, and all I can say is "awsome" !also picked up a aqua c remora skimmer, and an ac-70 for the fuge...i keep ya'll updated..:woot: :love:

100_0013.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you'll be happy with the AB. got it running on my tank, and it cuts down through 28" for SPS (250 watts)

i've also been told that these bulbs could last for multiple years without having to be changed, but it could be just a rumor.

Jason

CT nano reefer

well, in the last couple of days, I have added 20lbs. of figi pink sand, and 30lbs. of gorgeous gulf-view live rock...it's a simple aquascaping job, cause I'm a simple kinda guy..nothing fancy here..heres some pics..

000_0070.jpg

000_0069.jpg

I would like to put the 250 W MH on my 26 gallon bowfront. How often do you have to change MH bulbs. Multiple years sounds like BS. Is the blue tint real or does it look different in person?

CT nano reefer

according to AB. they say that the 150 DE HQI will last 12 months.. as far as the blue tint goes,, thats the color of the light that the bulb lets out.. it's a 20k bulb.. i think its an awsome color..what you can't see in the picture, is the shimmering effect that halides generate with rippling surface water..this by itself is beautiful just to expierince..just ask anyone who runs MH..do yourself a favor, get the 250w DE HQI pendant.. you won't be dissapointed!

My experience with 150 watt DE's is that they start to dim after about 9 months. And be aware that they tend to get a little less blue after the first week or two, when they're breaking in.

Very nice setup. Very close to my dream nano setup too :).

Think it would be possible to get a pic of that AB bulb next to a regular 6500K or something?

What are you planning to keep?

Hey CT,

Is that MH the one they were selling over at Hello Lights for some insanely low price? I was thinking of getting one, but I'm still deciding. Let me know how it works out in the long run. Looks like a pretty nice setup you've got going there. :happy:

CT nano reefer

hey guyz, thanx for the replies..Korbin, this is the first MH setup I've owned so I really don't have another MH bulb to compare it to..my other nano uses PC"s. Winnie, I had seen the one at Hellolights that your reffering too, but I think it was a couple of bucks cheaper at Marine depot, so I bought it there..your right these lights are really cheap, and they work just as good. I'm thrilled with the shimmering effect that they give off on the tank...makes me wish I went MH sooner. so don't hesitate on getting one, you won't be dissapointed! thanx Reefer21!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I really like that shroom rock! Looks like a mix of purple and red hues...psychadelic!

And who could not like the metallic green frogspawn! ;) Those are one of my favorites.

CT nano reefer

i doubt that i will dive into clams or sps.. I'm kinda a soft coral kinda guy...but who knows, theres always that chance of getting bit by the sps bug!

Whats the dimensions on the skimmer prefilter. I was going to put one on my new tank, but it looks like it takes up alot of realesate. How crucial is running one?

Archived