Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

more flow for jbj nano cube Idea

kappa

This is what I am planing to build for more flow for the Jbj nano cube since somebody told me I needed more flow. The project requires no drilling any new holes to the black plastic wall. I think this will be a great project as it will not only add more flow to the tank, but also add flow to the sump if you have live rocks back there. Please tell me what you guys think. I will build it on Thursday if there is no objection. Give me your ideas on how to make it better.

One more thing, I choosed to get the black 5/8 hoses because I don't want algae to grow inside the hose.

8259mo_flow_project.jpg

I bought the flexible black hoses.

I bought 6 feet of black 5-6mm balck flexible tubing.

One 3 inch 1/2 inch clear tubing. Lfs did not have the tube in black.

One perfecto aquarium sealant 100% silicone rubber.

This project is underway, I just have to pick up the mj 606 at marine depot later on in the after noon.

I will have a picture up@ soon. Right now the silicon is curing, it takes 48 hours before I can use it in the tank.

here's what i did for extra flow in my tank, i have a minijet in the back & im using stock pump w/diffuser on the left side of the cube.

on the nipple where the minijet pumps to i added a rotating flow deflector, it spits out water in a circular motion to mix the flow up, it's a pretty cool piece of equipment... here's a pic of how my tank looks like w/the flow setup.

i'm interested in seeing pix of how you put the powerhead in the back though... i might consider getting another minijet instead of the stock pump if what you're doing is worth the purchase :P

very nice uchiha, I like it!

My objective is to have no PH in the tank viewing area, and also add a PH in whihc there will be drilling through the plastic for plumbing an addition diffuser.

Here is the picture of the project completed. I still need about 24 more hours for the silicone around to cure. The directions for use of the silicone says it needs needs to cure for 48 hours before use.

8259MJ_606.jpg

One more thing is that the black flexible tubes are way too long, so I will cut those shorter when I place the PH in the sump to see how long they really should be. If you check your nano cube, you will see that on the left and right side of the cube has a black trimming. The trimming has some space beneath where the sump wall is perpandicular to the glass, that will be the spot I will wedge two 5mm black tubes through, and I think the tubes will hold in place on it own.

Uchiha, I use my stock PH to mix salt now. The stock pump gets hotter than the Maxi-jet 600.

lol that's rediculous.

those tubes are going to clog up quick. the powerhead running like that will generate heat as well.

p.s. your old sig image was better

I plan on wedging them on the left side underneath the black trimming. Hopefully the tube will stay in place. When I put the PH in tommorow, we will see if it works, If it does not than I have to come up with something else. The two other short tubes will be wedged into the rock works in the sump. I don't know how all of this will work out, it is only experimental.

uchiha can you take another pic of that rotating thing and maybe give me the name and a link if possible? thanks, sorry for the run on sentences and hijacking kappa sama's thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...20&pagenumber=2

look at the middle of the 2nd page of that thread, i posted a pic of the box. it's italian made, by a company called HYDOR (or something...) it was about $20 at my LFS and attaches to any powerhead. it spits out a "reduced" but rotating current without any extra batteries or anything. the "reduced" current is the result of current being used to turn a fan & gears in the deflector.

it might look ugly, but i think it's a VERY good way to mix things up in your tank... the less flow will be compromised. if you've got a weak pump, this will definitely NOT be worth trying...

Okay I tested the thing. I didn't do a good job with the silicone and the water leaks out from the silicon seal, but it still works great. Alot of flow.

I might hold two airlines in place with airline suction cups like emo said. The other two will be held down by wedging the tube in between the black frame and the sump wall. It may be hard to visualize what I am trying to say, but I will have a picture up very soon.

I will test this thing out later on in the afternoon.

I am curious as to how long have you had the stock PH attached to the glass, as many with micro jet's had had theirs fall off, due to the suction cups not sticking to glass for long.

i recently added it about a week ago. it has slid off maybe once or twice, but nothing that you can't fix... just plop it back on the glass and make sure the suction cups get a better hold :)

i don't think all that flow is necessary ... i just felt that after adding that deflector thing i had to add another source of current so that things wouldn't be too "handicapped" by that deflector

I read something about hot glue not being reef safe. form the majorer of plastics.

BTW I might scratch this whole idea of this octopus water flow project. I wanted to create more flow in the sump, but I think the water suction of the PH will create this flow anyways, so I have decided to get that thin flow diffuser that uchiha has, and place my PH in the sump, and place the thin diffuser over the top of the sump wall.

i want to drill a hole right under the 1st vent...but i duno what the best way to do it... and im not sure if it'll affect the overflow and how fast water flows down... X)

I did it, it is done. I bought 3 1/2 inch loc line parts to construct the plumbing required for the project. I have turned down the flow, so the mj-606 is pumping 80gph.

8259nano_cube_loc_line.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it works. Try this. I got the nozzle to fit nicely right over the sump wall. In the thrid pic it is actually pulled up higher so I can take a picture of of the nozzle. The lid dose not get in the way of the loc line nozzle.

The loc line nozzle I bought in particular has a joint to bend the nozzle upwards and more towards the surface. If I found another nozzle that could do this, and has a wide open mouth instead of holes, I would buy that nozzle right away, but for now, I am using this nozzle head instead.

8259minijet606.jpg

Hi, Kappa i like your idea, is it working well?

i thought of doing something similar, do you think this would work?

ive attached a diagram (dont laugh at my paintbrush skills!) that kind of shows what im thinking of doing (looking down at the compartments from the top)

basically i want to add a new powerhead to the second compartment. Then for the outgoing water from the powerhead, i would run a tube from that powerhead, up along the wall of the sump, and get it to do a 'u turn' over the sump wall straight into the display.

the existing stock powerhead i would leave as is. this then would (i think) mean that i have water entering the back section from the stock intakes, and exiting the back from the new tube above the second compartment, and from the existing stock outlet.

would this work?? all im really trying to achieve is add a bit of flow in the back section, and stop the 'washing machine' type effect that the stock set up seems to have, so im hoping that the new outlet into the display might break it up a bit (?)

Archived