Tank shot

jy25_010.sized.jpg

Left shot

jy25_021.sized.jpg

Right shot

jy25_022.sized.jpg

Plumbing shot

jy25_024.sized.jpg

The tank is a 6 month old 15g AGA Designer tank drilled (by yours truely) with a 1.5" bulkhead. A hole is cut, behind the wall. The 1.5" drain leads to a 20L sump. A Mag 9.5 feeds a ported and modd'd scwd to run the water movement in the tank (approx. 750-850 gph). A 802 powers the Refugium lit 24/7 by 28w's of 5500k PC's. A simple 10$ clip on fan keeps the tanks temperature down around 80 degrees. Lighting for the main tank is provided by a 175w MH 14k Hamilton. Faux sand bed.

Tank critters

6 or 7 Hermits. (can't count them)

1 peppermint shrimp (to control aiptasia)

3 snails (could care less what kind)

Corals

2 Chocolate Tri color Acroporas

1 Tri color acro

1 purple tipped elkhorn montipora

1 red encrusting montipora

1 pink stylaphora (sp?)

1 green polyp'd pacopora (sp?)

1 Pink Birds Nest

1 Brain

1 colony of zoos

1 unknown plating brain?!?

Fish

None- they all get sucked down the overflow and die

Additives

Dosing Kalkwasser 24/7 from a 32 gallon trash container (filled about once a month.) via a 3 gpd dosing pump

Still working on alkalinity supplements.. testing daily

5-10 ml's live phyto per night (when I remember)

Parameters

Temp 78-82 (on a hot day)

SG 1.025

Ph 8.4 (day) 8.3 (night)

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 0 (though does rise when I forget to clean out my filter sock.)

Phosphates - 0

Alk - 10

Ca - 415

Mg - 1250

Turn over rate - 50-56x per hour. Almost once a minute ;-)

The tank was originally set up to be a "simple" tank. As you can see though.. it's not so simple. Especially with the rats nest of plumbing I have in the "geek" room.

Thanks for looking.

Originally posted by irishbing

Do you think a 1" drain can keep up with the mag 9.5?

No, it can't. Not unless you use a durso. When I was test running my setup, I ran everything into my 10 gallon fuge (which I also drilled and installed a 1 inch bulkhead) and it would overflow quickly.

Yeah im gonna use a durso. So with a durso everything should be ok? How tall should it be? Thanks. Sorry if im hijacking your thread.

Bing, I am running my mag 12 through a durso, and I feel it could handle a shade more, but not much.

BTW hows it coming? My PM box was full last week, sorry :P

XX - Neat tank shape, and the wall drilled, nice touch. Better off without the fish. Less nutrients. If you did want though, you can log onto www.marinedepot.com and they should have a grate for your overflow that will keep them from getting sucked in.

Latest change:

Ripped out the sand bed in my fuge. Since the fuge was the slowest moving part of my setup, I decided to make a detritus settling tank out of it. I'm keeping the algae in a rubbermaid dish so it doesn't go down the overflow, but other than that, it's barebottomed now.

All my water changes will come out of this tank. It's been up and running for almost two hours now, and I can already see detritus building up on the bottom. What was nice and clean is now tanish in color.

Thanks for following along.

Also, the 32 gallon trash container has been swapped out for a 44 gallon container. The 44 gallon will last for all of my topoff for a entire month. Ahhh... nothing to do but siphon the bottom of the 10 gallon fuge/detritus tank and watch how quickly my SPS grow.

DAMN YOU, lol. i've set up one of those tanks for about a month now, and was waiting till it looked half decent before posting pics. they're AWESOME.

lol, i wish i had a wall to put some equipment behind, i'm still trying to figure out a way to have an auto-topoff and not make it look ghetto with the container sitting beside the tank, lol :| ...stupid designer stand with no door :(

A idea I had was to ditch the stand all together, and build a new cabinet for it. But make it about 5-6 feet tall, and 2-2.5 feet wide. The 15 would only be two sides viewable at that point, but you can house all kinds of stuff to the left of the tank, above it, and below it. But then I thought, if I was going to go that far, I'd get a bigger tank.

You can make a door for it no problem! A jig saw, some hindges, and a handle is all you need. Just cut it out! You might wanna think about bracing though if you do that.. considering the back is open.

thats a good idea. could get tricky with the tank already set up though. lol, i wonder if i could even fit anything under there that would be worth the effort of cutting out a door.

Archived