Cultivated Reef

My DIY kalk reactor

fade2black

Here's some pics (not the best either) of the kalk reactor I built. I laser cut all the pieces, it has an o-ring seal at the top, stainless steel screws, and john guest fittings. It is mixed with a magnetic stirrer every 3 hours for 2 minutes.

kalk_reactor_full.jpg

kalk_reactor_top.jpg

kalk_reactor_bottom.jpg

I have been running this on my 50 gal reef for about 6 months now and just did my first replenishment of kalk. I put about a pound in to begin with and had gone through about 90% of it. I dose approx 135ml/hr with a medical dosing pump 24/7 as makeup water. This is one of the best projects I have done and is very low maintenance. Enjoy!

Never been asked for one, but I guess I could. Usually people ask me for the flange set on top and then do the assembly work themselves. The flange is the hardest part and I have made several of those for 6" as well as 4.5" acrylic tubing. There really is nothing to these kalk reactors outside of the flange for the top. Everything else is pretty straight forward. This one is 18" tall and 6" in diameter. Holds roughly 2 gallons of effluent. You could use the same flange set and tubing for a calcium reactor as well.

could you explain in more detail how it works in regards to kalk reactors in general...does it just mix kalk and top off your tank via a float switch and a pump? also how much does one of those medical dosing pumps cost? have a picture?

thanks

billpa

Basically what happens is the dosing pump forces RO/DI water through the reactor, which in turn forces the saturated solution into my sump. I match my evaporation rate with the pump so my salinity levels stay very steady, at the same time maximizing my calcium levels with the saturated solution. As the fresh water is added to the reactor, obviously the solution is going to get diluted. So it is set on a timer to stir for 2 minutes every 3 hours to maintain a saturated solution. I can add a pound of kalk and it will last me about 6 months. The only maintenance is keeping the dosing pump supplied with RO/DI water. :P

In this picture, you can see the reactor in operation on my tank. At the top, you can see the digital timer I use to run the magnetic stirrer. The RO/DI water goes in the right inlet to the bottom of the reactor, which forces the saturated solution out the top from the left hand outlet into my sump.

Reactor_full.jpg

Would anyone be interested in one of these? I have enough 6" tubing left to make one more. You can either get the magnetic stirrer yourself, or I can supply it. Let me know and we can talk price.

So basically, its just an auto top-off system which has to go through another container before the water actually reaches the tank?

Damn, i always thought it was alot more complicated than that. Ya know, with a name like Calcium REACTOR i always figured it too a P.H.d in Biomechanics to work one.

~

Why yes it is :) If anyone is looking for a dosing pump, get one of these. They are worth every penny and are reliable as hell.

This reactor is 6" x 18". I can make any size you want if space is a concern.

OK, I have had so many people asking for prices I'll just post it. :)

Reactor w/o magnetic stirrer - $110 plus shipping

Reactor w/ magnetic stirrer - $175 plus shipping

That price is for the same size as the one pictured. The chamber is 6"x18". I can custom size it to your needs if you want and I will provide you with a quote.

The cheapest I have seen these on the net was $235 and it was an inch shorter than this one.

do you think the kangaroo could handle pumping RODI into the reaction chamber and then from the reaction chamber straight up around 3-4 feet? I know that the kangaroo can pump up to 6 feet I believe but I was curious if the reaction chamber in between would decrease the max head...only reason why I ask is I do not have a sump so i would have to dose directly into the tank from below.

biillpa

Billpa - I could test it out for you and let you know. My initial guess is that it wouldn't have any trouble at all since the top of the reactor is only about 12-14" higher than the pumping mechanism.

MrKrispy - No I haven't. I have actually had really good results just dosing straight kalk. It keeps my pH right around 8.35 during the day and 8.20 at night. I can handle a .15 pH swing daily :)

When the stirrer fires off, it only creates a milky solution in the bottom 3/4 of the chamber. The top 1/4 remains the clear saturated solution that is dosed as the remainder is settling out. The inflow tube reaches about 3/4 of the way down the chamber so the RO/DI water enters almost at the bottom, but high enough that it doesn't disturb all of the undissolved kalk.

Archived