ReefCleaners.org

DIY super duper nano

Gomer

I thought I'd have some fun this weekend, so I decided to put together a nano tank.

The almost complete lack of typical greenery in the glass is because this is PPG Starphire glass. Wonderful stuff!

Details:

1/4" starphire glass

Outer dimensions-4.5x4x6H (inner: ~4x3.5x5.75)

Assuming 1" of substrate and water 1/2" from the top-> 0.21g

Not the most perfect job on everything, but good enough. The bottom is a little sloppy on the silicone, but I didn't care cause the substrate will cover it.

kraphtymac

It will be interesting to see how the health of the tank is considering the seemingly low surface area to volume ratio...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

LR and sand from an established tank

Macro algae (the grean grape looking stuff)

Some inverts...

And you'll be all set...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Im serious.. Don't be discouraged... i picked up this month'd edition of Coral, it was all about nanos... here's one of about 10 in the mag that are NOT any bigger that yours.. and they all have been set up for months... they have everything from starfish and shrimp to anemones (rock anemones though) and polyps...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

i would recommend a thermostat controled heat pad... for water movement you should run an air line hose under your rocks and let the bubbles pull water from the bottm to the top...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

your welcome... my next visit to the fish store after i puchased my 18 gallon tank, i was given this magazine (see below) and after reading this 10 page or so article on reef aquariums of less than a gallon i got really interested in it.. you should pick up a copy of it if you are really serious about it... I think i'm going to make one in a few months after i can take well cured rock and sand from my existing tank...

this is the newest (and for a ll i know the only) magazine devoted to corals... this issue in particular is a great one for every nanite to read... i think i'm going to subscribe... as you can see this is only the second issue EVER and there is a great letter from the editor on Nano Reefs on the very first page...

Originally posted by Waterb0y

these are about 1/2 gallons.. and have a 5w light.. decent filter too. $30

3077388221C.jpg

i've got one of those, it has some zoo's gsp, Ricordias and 3 sexy shrimp in it!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

all those tanks in the pictures i posted have an 8-watt Osram Lumilux 12 tube over top of them... just a thought, but i think those are german bulbs... in fact i believe all those tanks are from germany, since the magazine is basicly a translated copy of a german coral mag... anyone know if you can buy those bulbs over here?

Juan-Carlos

As for lighting, consider the 19W screw in 6500k PC from homedepot you can use it on a desk lamp from walmart with an arm. Just a thought.

-Jc

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

if you were kinda sceptical about the whole thing you could go buy a 10 gal from wally-world ($9.99), set it under the mini tank(if you made your own you could incorperate a mini overflow, buy a low-flow PH to pump water back up to the nano tank through a nozzle installed under the LR... same idea as with the air tube, but with water... this way you could incorperate a heater and anything else you could possibly want into the 10 gal sump... then build a stand to hide the sump.. maybe a FOE-bookshelf so that no one would know that its there...

well, doing a little nano tank, so I also had fun with a new LED light *L*

Converted a Zalman CNPS3100 cpu heatsink to mount the LEDs. (probably enough heatsink to passively cool 3x3watt stars instread of the 1watters on right now). Also threw together a quick and dirty DIY contant current source. makes a really nice little "micro halide"!!!!

..now..that makes 3 Luxeon toys to play with :D

3xLED.jpg

24top.jpg

24bottom.jpg

7-2.jpg

7-1.jpg

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

that's cool... do you know the color temp and spectrum of the light that those LED's put out?

Archived