inTank Media Baskets

FS: Nano Magnet Cleaners

C Jerome

For sale, Nano Magnet cleaners. I made them with super strong NdFeB (Rare Earth Magnets).

I am using the first one I made in my 2.5gallon and it works great. The outside piece is large enough to grip and the inside piece is less than 1/4 inch thick so you can get it in tight spaces. It’s nano size makes it easy to hide in your tank when not in use.

1P1010029.jpg

The inside piece on mine is frosted.

4P1010013.jpg

Here the magnet is resting in one of the places I leave it while not in use.

5P1010017.jpg

As seen above I can leave the finish clear, or make it frosted, which ever you prefer. If you have a custom application in mind I can work that out with you as well.

I am selling them for $13 shipped to your door. Please PM or e-mail me if you are interested or have any questions.

You will be satisfied with the power and nano size of my cleaner, I will work with you to make sure

C. Jerome

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What materials dod you use to make them. Don't want your secrets, just wondering that what I'm putting onto my tank is safe. What's the molded material? Thx.

The mold material is pure resin. Once it has cured it is hard and inert(sp?). This encases the magnets which are made from neodymium-iron-boron(some sort of magnetic material), but this never comes incontact with the water as it is completly encased in the resin. If you have any more questions let me know.

Jerome

hmmm u know what u should do? incorporate an air pocket into the piece that goes into the tank so that it can float.... i should get a piece of that profit : lol jk...

quandary_23

How long are the cleaning surfaces? Being so thin is nice, just wondering how long it is for comparison to the one I have. Thanks.

I received mine yesterday.

(I got home late, so didn't get to try it out until this morning).

To give everyone the background, I've got a JBJ Nano Cube and previously used the smallest Mag Float. My biggest problems were:

1) It wasn't strong enough, so it would only "clean" at one of the small edges (the other sides didn't grip enough)

2) It was too big to clean the rounded corners and required many passess on the bow front because of the curved glass.

3) Because of it's size, I had to go slow otherwise I'd create huge turbulance in the tank (think stirring up the top of the sand bed).

The Nimble (as Jerome calls it ;) ) is great because these things are no longer a probem!

To be fair, the biggest draw back is that the bit on the outside (where you hold) is small. I think my hand and fingers are smaller than most people, and I had difficulty in gripping it to move around. It's not a show-stopper, but would be much more useable if the outter piece to be bigger.

Also the whole unit is small-ish (about half the size of my Mag Float), so it takes awhile to clean everything. I think a "wedge" shape might make the product more flexible.

Lastly, it's only been one day, but I'm not sure if making it float big a deal. Even taking the rounded corners at a fast speed, the magnets still grip. Maybe floating might help when it's time to take the thing out of the tank for a cleaning? Not sure about that yet...

In eBay terms, "Great communications, super-fast shipper, quality product, will buy again, highly recommend!!!" :woot:

Yuen

I am happy that it arrived so quickly, and it has worked well for you (in the one day you have had it).

To address your biggest concern about the size of the outside peice:

It is small and works for my 2.5 but I can see how it would be tireing to grip it for a larger tank. I can easily make this piece larger in all future units to aid in 'gripability'.

Making it float, I fell that one of the best parts of the Nimble is is low profile and ability to get into places where there is little clearence. Adding some flotation would increase the thickness and reduce the Nimble's capabilities as a nimble nano glass cleaner. To take it out of the tank, I have either put my hand it to catch it when I move the outside piece away, or had it stick to my tweezers and then moved the outside piece away. Either ways works.

I am glad the magnets are strong enough to "take the corners at speed" with out a problem, and also are able to clean the corners.

Please let me know how it works over time, thank you for the constructive feedback

C. Jerome

nibbelung

Great idea! Looks like it would work really well. I am definitely interested in purchasing one for my nano-reef.

Got mine right away! 2-3 days. THey are very strong for their size. I agree with what was said earlier that the outside piece could be a bit bigger, or have a "tab" or "fin" on it for better handling. When I first put it in the water, I had some bubbles coming from the inside magnet. Scared me at first, but it seems it was just trapped air between the velcro and the magnet mold. IT did an excellent job in my 10g glass nano. I really liked the low turbulence due to the low profile. THx Jerome, will keep all posted.

btw, very good packaging and very professional documents.

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad that it arrived in good time. I agree with your comment about the larger outside piece and needing somthing more to grip. I have increased the size of this peice in all the new ones I am making, and a tab option would be nice as well. I will look into a sutiable tab of some sort and do some tests. Please keep us updated on how it is working.

Jerome

kraphtymac

The only thing I would worry about with these cleaners is over-power... The rare earth magnets create quite an attraction!! Just don't separate them too far, and then let them come together... could be quite devastating in a glass aquarium...

Yes I agree, if the magnets were bare(not encased in anything) and you let them attract this would be very bad. They travel at a high rate of speed toward each other.

However with these magnet cleaners encasing them in resin creates a small distance between the magnets, also having the glass inbetween increases this distance, as you know when the mangets get furthur apart the force of their their attraction is lessened.

But as kraphtymac points out care still needs to be taken when using them. I would recomend carefuly letting the magnets come together against the glass to be safe.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Jerome

• 2 weeks later...

I just sent out the next set of Nimbles to people, check back soon for their comments.

Jerome

I've recieved this magnet cleaner and its great.

I got mine in two days and it lived up to all my expectations. All the tough algae that took serious effort to scrub off now comes off with ease wit this magnet cleaner. It does take a few scrubs but only about 2-3 times. The only algae it didn't get was my pink corraline algae but I wouldn't want it to come off anyway. It tore through the algae on my front glass. My mom said why is your tank so clean now?

Yes the inside piece does not float but I think its a proper sacrifice for its low profile. The inside piece creates very little water turbulence which is turn means less messy and not scaring the corals to close up.

Jerome did a great job with this magnet cleaner and I recommend this magnet cleaner to anyone. Its the best 13 dollars I've spent. (stupid Protein Skimmer...)

dagermain

I have cleared out my in box, sorry about that.

The difference between the nimble and the Super Nimble is: the Super Nimble's interior piece is about twice as thick (a little less than 1/2 inch) as the Nimble's, this extra thickness is needed to accommodate larger magnets._ The Super Nimble is made with twice the magnetic material as the Nimble is made with, this give more strength with thicker glass, or just tremendous strength with thinner glass.

Short answer: Nimble inside peice about 1/4 inch thin

Nimble Super: inside piece about 1/2 inch thin, and twice the magnetic material.

_

Let me know

Jerome

artarmon42

Quick update, now have I've had the Nimble for 3 weeks.

No change since my original comments.

The product cleans well, works in the hard-to-get-at corners and the bow of my Nano Cube, and generates little turbulance during cleaning.

For me, the only drawback is that the small outer piece makes it hard to hold. Not enough to stop me using it, but definitely an improvement I'd like to see in the next update (Jerome: I'd be happy to test drive it when you come up with an update).

If you looking for a magnetic cleaner, the Nimble has my two thumbs up! :)

hey buddy i jsut recieved mine, i tried to pm but the box is full. i havent tested it out yet but it looks like a great product, im sure i will be satisfied. thanks alot ill update after trying it out

Archived