Cultivated Reef

Nanocube NOT 12 gallons.

Starscream

I don't know if anybody else has noticed this but last night when i was filling my mothers new nanocube with store boughten 1 gallon jugs of spring water I only used 8 3/4 gallons of water to fill it up. Now i maybe a idiot but can anyone else tell me how this equates to being a 12 gallon tank? (and by the way no there is no sand or rock in there yet...lol.)

I don't know the dimensions but believe me that tank only holds about 9 gallons. I bought it from the Dr. Foster and Smith retail store last night. It is a JBJ Nanocube but it sure as heck doesn't hold 12 gallons.

I'm including the whole tank including the filter area. I only fit 8 3/4 gallons of water in it, the whole thing. And on several spots on the box it says includes "12 gallon glass aquarium.

clemtiger00

I learned this just last week. It is all manufacturers that do it not just JBJ, the gallon figures come from the total outside dimensions of the tank. This can be a good bit different than what the inner diameter measurements are, which is the actual gallons. I just bought a AGA 20 Long and it only held like 17 gallons. When I asked the LFS that is the explanation they gave me.

I can't find the measurements of the tank anywhere. Somebody please post them and end the debate. Inside or outside dimensions and the glass thickness.

R u guys mixing up Imperial Gallons with US Gallons?

1 Gallon (US) = 3785.6 ml

1 Gallon (Imperial) = 4731.2 ml

So about:

12 Gallons (US) = 9 Gallons (Imperial) D)

or:

12 Gallons (US) = 45427.2 ml

9 Gallons (Imp) = 42580.8 ml

12 US gallons = 14" cubed (inside dimensions)

9 US gallons would mean an inside dimension of almost 12.8" cubed. Not too big a difference.

Archived