Cultivated Reef

Thinking about a clam.....

onthefly

Well I'd like to get a center piece for my tank and a clam would be awesome. I've thinking about getting a T. crocea from a guy here local. He has some sweet prices and no shipping for me. The tank is mature enough and I think I've done my home work.....read through a bunch of the clamsdirect.com forum postings. Here's my 2 main concern and would like some of the "clammers" to chime in.

1) I'm running REALLY fine silica sand.....much finer than Caribsea's aragamax (which is in the fuge) and it is doing a bang up job at denitrification.

2) Since the DSB is wiping out my NO3 (in 8 months, I've never read even a trace), and I don't have any fish.......is my tank too sterile for a clam.

Parameters:

Temp=80

SG=1.025

pH=8.0 (fluctuates during the day 7.8-8.2)

NH3, N02, N03, PO4 all zero

Alk=4

Ca=400-440

Do about 10-15% w/c each week

I was thinking about switching out the silica LS......going with CC or aragamax. I think this would benefit all the critters and help stabilize my pH swings. It's going to break my heart though, I have so much life in that sand...hate to just yank it out! What do you guys think CC or LS?

From what I have read over on RC, your substrate actually does not have much of a buffering effect. It would only do that if it dissolved in significant quantities, which it will not if kept in the basic (high PH) evironment of your tank. Have your corals shown stress over the ph? If not, I wouldn't worry too hard. 7.8 - 8.2 is within an acceptable range.

Also, from what I have read, you want some measurable nitrates in the tank for a clam. You may actually want to consider adding a fish to provide the needed waste (OUCH). I bet that Barry at ClamsDirect would answer this question for you.

I agree with Dingo about getting a fish. My nitrates are always measurable (0-2 ppm) and my clams do very well even under PC's and VHO's.

Also, you could buy a clam that is 3-4 inches, from what I understand they are more photosynthetic at that size.

That is what I've been told by hobbyists in my area, I don't know if that is true...

Onthefly:

Your tank is set for a clam. I agree that a 3" Clams or bigger are the way to go. The little guys are touchy. The aragonite is not a bad idea for buffering as it will help the calm out, but a larger calm should be able to deal. Truthfully I never test anything but CA/ALK. No too bad as I have Squamosa, derasa, and two croceas showing lots of new growth. a bit of trates do help, but are not necessary. if you are worried about it being too sterile just add phyto ever other day and you are fine.

The key is to get at least a 3" Clam, otherwise you are chancing it.

But that's just my opinion.

Thanks everyone! If I do it I want to do it right.....

Well I posted the same over on the clamsdirect board. The only concern Barry had was the nano environment......too much possibility for chemistry swings. I respect his opinion, but I also know my reefing habits and MANY of you guys are doing clams without any problems.

Dingo - I totally agree about the substrate not adding much to the buffering of the water....that's why I bought the 100lb bag or white silica for $6. I was just thinking that if fine sand is a "no, no" with clams, I may as well switch over to a CaCO3 based substrate. As for a fish, I'm with you.....it pains me to WANT to add waste to the water, but proper husbandry is the most important thing to me! I've got a scappy little ocellaris in my 45ga that picks fights with the much larger Clarkii.....maybe it is time I move him to his retirement crib. On the other hand maybe the heavy feeding hand like Jahkaya says might be the call.

Nalbar - you know what kinda fish eats those pyramid snails? Glad you think I should keep the bed.....way too much life to mess with!

You might want to consider dosing DT's phytoplankton, is the only new thing I'd add to the discussion.

If you're not having problems with the sand bed, the best thing to do is probably to leave it as is. Probably worse to change too much then put a clam in there before your tank has settled down.

As far as pyramid (not sure this is the correct name, but the small parasitic snails that attack clams) snails, it seems like your risk is only when you first get the clam since that is where they'd be introduced into your system. IMO, I wouldn't add a fish to solve a problem that doesn't exist yet since it might cause other problems and might not be needed, if it were to work with the specific fish you get.

If your salinity(auto-top off) and temperature(quality heater and a cooling fan) are taken care of, then it seems like a good environment for a clam to thrive in. If you have issues with them, it would seem like you'd want to solve those problems first.

After your clam is in there and settled down, you could test your Ca and maybe adjust what you are dosing, or start dosing a suppliment if needed.

Thanks for the input guys!

My only concern with the LS I have now is how fine it is. I've read that fine sand can cause problems with T. crocea because of their "fine" gills. If I did switch out the sand bed, I'd put aragamax in there (which seems huge compared to the stuff I have now), then give it time to mature (say 2 months, seeded with some of the LS I have now), then add the clam.

Korbin - sorry for the mix up. Alk can be read in ppm (US way) or dKH (German way). Last night my alk was 10.75 (dKH) and 3.85

ppm. In terms of NSW, the Alk ppm is about 2.9.

Rob - I already dose DT's a couple times a week for my SPS, so that is covered. Thinking about getting some golden pearls too. My auto-top off is on order with Physh, and my temp never leaves 80.

I feel like the tank is mature and stable enough, just that LS issue keeps bugging me!

OTF go for it, except that crocea's are rock boring clams and will feel much more comfortable on a rock if you can provide one.

All clams start out as filter feeders. They need to " capture " the zooanthelle when younger, as they grow older and the populations establish themselves, the clams become mainly photosynthetic as suggested by the decrease in digestive organ size as age increases. OTF. I do believe your tank can handle the environment..

I've got a spot picked out for the crocea.....a nice rocky spot! I've also heard they'll do fine on sand, just place a rock or shell under them to attach to.

Well, I need to figure this out soon. If I go with the substrate switch, that will add a couple of months to my clam wait!

I was think I might add about 2-3 lbs of rubble to my fuge, that would compensate for the new sand...in terms of filtration.

i say go for it otf. if you can keep frogs you can keep a stupid clam! and if you fail we can all change our story, say we told you not to get one, and laugh at you.

nalbar

good call Nalbar. OTF acclimate if you can. the clam may have been under PC's for a while, or not so close to halides. give it a cave if possible, if not, just do the screen thing again! Man get a nice one!

is there a reason you are going for a crocea? FWIW, I have 3 clams (maxi, croc, squam) in my 20g and they are all doing great, they are all bigger than 3" so i dont feed them directly (i occasionally feed phyto to the tank though). I say go for it!

It sounds like you're concerned about the sand, so swap it out. If you can wait on everything settling back down, then it's a good thing to do. The coral sand shouldn't be that much $$ for your size tank.

If it were me, I'd change it out to coral sand, but that's purely my opinion. I have a "good" feeling about coral sand, and wouldn't put anything else in a tank. But that only has something to do with what works for me, not what might work for someone else.

Hey Gang,

Well, I think I'm going with the substrate swap.......I have an extra 5.5ga and the aragamax....so it won't cost me a thing! I figure I can reduce the size of the bed (about an 1") and gain some much needed height in my tank.

I was figuring on washing the sand REALLY good at my lab (we had an RO faucet), then put my fuge and AQ150 on it to "scrub" the cloudiness away. I was going to get 2lbs of cured LR rubble today and get that going in the fuge so it will help to seed the new sand.

Figure I'll give it a month or two to stabilze, plus I have 30ga of SW in the garage ready for emergency w/c's (if needed).

Spencer - I was thinking about the crocea mostly because of the size, growth rate, and coloration. I was going to get a 3" clam, but was under the impression that maxima's can still grow alot bigger (not as big as squamies or deresa, but still too big for the 5.5ga).......right?

Bird - I'm going to pay attention to how they are kept at the LFS. They might be under VHO's or 20-30" away from the MH, so you're right I'll probably screen the tank again, or lift the hood up a few inches with 2x4's.

Originally posted by birdman204

Good call OTF<  the only thing it seems you could do from here is to buy daniel knop's book " Giant Clams ".  

I fully agree, one of the best books (if not the best) book on the subject, easy to read, informative and with great pictures... daniel knop is the shizznit

oh, and it's not detrimental to be lacking nitrates when testing. you likely do not have o 'trates, just not enough for the test to be reading it (which is fine!). contrary to popular belief: while clams are excellent nitrate reducers, they do not need it for survival, however, a level of nitrates around 10-12 will be ideal for the clam while not being harmful to other tank inhabitants (unless you have an all fiji acro tank ;) )

hth

Archived